FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stelvio jerky throttle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stelvio jerky throttle
    Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 19:51
I think that it's great that the ECU can be re-mapped by the owner.  After skimmimg the forums, I would say that there has been a lot of hard work and support put in by eg. beetle and various others over the years, and this makes for a much more satisfying owner experience.
With most bikes a re-map is a purely financial process!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 22:29
You have to remember that when these plug and play units were in their prime, remapping was neither simple or cheap.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 21:51
Still don't understand why people go for those plug-n-play units, when it's cheaper and better to load another Map.

Think of it this way;
You have a stone in your Boot, it's irritating you, do you;
A. Put a couple of pairs of thick socks on the affected foot to make it bearable (the plug-in thing)?
B. Remove the stone (Re-Mapping)?

Running with something that just richens the mixture can f**k up your Pistons, Rings, and Bores, the extra Fuel reduces the Oil film on the Cylinder walls.

Pete Roper (you may have heard of him?), has pictures of a set of Rings sat inside the Bore of an Engine that had one of these things fitted.
The end-gap was massive, due to the vastly increased wear rate, something like 10x what it should be.
Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 20:07
Yes snatchiness just about describes it.  You'd think they'd put a soft action throttle cam on a tourer.  Mind you it makes it easier to blip the throttle for a down-change!
wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 07:35
G2 Throttle tamer.  Works a treat and eliminates about 70% of the snatchiness.( not sure if that's a word)Smile

Or you can save yourself a few quid and use a Stanley knife to reduce the curve on your original throttle cam.
I tried everything on my 2014 Stelvio including new maps. The Throttle tamer was the most effective.
Petros GR View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petros GR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 13:39
Best thing with maps is that the wiring remains original. If for any reason, one wants to restore factory state, its a 10 min job. Assuming that iawreader was used to read and backup the factory map, before loading the new map with iawwriter
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:06
I've decided to go for a Beetle Map.  I've been impressed by the support he gives on various forums, and the offer to tweak the map based on my feedback.

With the other modern bikes I've had, I just bought them and drove them.  The Guzzi is a much more "involving" experience. 
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 15:04
I spent two years trying to get this fixed on my Griso and couldn't. So I sold it. I imagine you'll be wanting one of those Finebeau (sp?) thingies.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:20
I assume you mean griso.org.  I've sent him a message, to see what he suggests.
Cheers.
averb View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote averb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 03:36
If you have Guzzidiag go to www.guzzi.org for a new map - no I have no connection other than a great improvement with one of beetles maps
Steve
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 23:31
Yes I'm going to check the TPS settings.  This is an absolutely bog stock 2013 Stelvio.  I think that the Finebau unit tricks the ECU into richening the mixture at low rpm so I guess I should be able to do something similar with TunerPro.  I'll try griso.org for more info.
Thanks.
Petros GR View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petros GR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 23:09
Since you got guzzidiag, the first and easiest thing to do is to check the throttle position - closed throtle should show 4,6~4,8. The second easy thing is to go to "actors" and reset the tps - if the reading is not correct.

About maps, you can load with guzzidiag (iaw writer) you can ask "Beetle" at griso.org, I think he'll need some info about model year and exhaust you have, maybe he won't want to deal with a non-roller tappet bike... 
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 21:56
Yes I looked at the Finbau unit as a possibility, but as I've got Guzzidiag I'd prefer to get a map from somewhere and load it.  I understand that maps can be changed with TunerPro, but rather than spend hours doing research I'd prefer to beg or purchase a .bin file that was customised already.
Essentially this file would only need to soften off the throttle response between closed throttle and approx. quarter open.  Someone must have done this before.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 19:26
He is right about it running lean. My Norge was he'll on wheels until I fitted the Finbau unit that fools the ecu in running a little richer,never looked back after that
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
hendy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 17:28
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll check these out.   Where I'm coming from is that the mechanic who I deal with suggests that most modern bikes are set too lean, in order to get round the emissions reg.s.  He has tweaked the fuelling map on a few bikes and got them to run smoother. 
I'm wondering if people have had the map changed and got a good result.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic