guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Norge power failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:47
Havent touched the screen buttons since i set the height four years ago, but will check the brake light
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 10:50
Fuses can just get tired and blow, but normally there is a reason.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 20:20
Twas the 15a fuse, all lights working. I checked the screen and it doesn't move. Not surprised as it hasn't for at least 4 years so probably frozen. I am not that bothered on that as I have it just right anyway
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 20:59
Good, a cheap remedy.

Just watch in case it blows again. At least if it does, you will be able to repair it at the roadside.
Brian.

Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 19:02
got a similar problem back again,   yellow 20 fuse beside the battery keeps blowing and battery reading 12.75 at 3000 rpm,  charging indicator shows not charging  _ ideas ?

Edited by Jim Mac - 25 Jul 2019 at 19:30
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 19:10
sidelights and  brake light work but no dipped or full, similar to last time but different fuse blowing.  Changed fuse 3 times, blew within 10 seconds each time

Edited by Jim Mac - 25 Jul 2019 at 19:29
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 08:23
There are two 20A fuses, oe is for the ABS, the other supplies the 12v socket and the main supply to the light logic relay so that must be the one blowing.
First obvious thing, nothig got stuck in the power socket?

Otherwise there is some fault on the lighting circuit. That fuse also supplies the reference to the alternator via the light relay so with the fuse blowing you won't get a charge without power there.

So either there is some sort of short in the lighting or the regulator in the alternator is causing the fuse to blow. Don't know why they have to make it all so complicated.

When you start the bike, does the starter continue to turn until the engine starts without you keeping your thumb on the button? With the fuse blown it shouldn't - I think.

What to do? You need to find where this short is. You have the light logic relay. If you pull that out, replace the fuse and try it, hopefully the fuse won't blow. Turn off, replace relay and remove the light high/low relay and try again. If the fuse blows then it's a fault on the alternator side, if it doesn't then it's the lights.
Have you asked this on Guzzitech too? Haven't looked there yet.

Brian.

Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 08:36
not yet,  i was waiting on your valued input,  will give it all a try tonight.  i get all the warning lights until it starts then the only ones left are the neutral and the ABS flashing
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 10:59
Have you ridden it in that state? Does the ABS light keep flashing?

That normally indicates a fault condidtion, but it's more likely that the ABS module isn't getting some other power feed due to the fuse blown.

Try isolating which area the short is by pulling relays.
Brian.

Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 14:25
i wasnt aware of anything until i pulled into my drive and saw the charging indicator (Norbsa supplied) flashing red.  i fitted that after last fuse issue and no charging.  the ABS light stays on now when bike started.  i will check relays etc tonight
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 18:54
aha, discovered that the left side dipped beam bulb spring had jumped off the fitting and bulb was loose, shorting on figment.  Stretch the spring and refit fuse, result

Always look for the easy fix
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 22:09
Well would you believe it?
But better than an expensive fault.
Brian.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 07:58
But doesn't this show just how crazy the electrical design is?

The whole point of using more than one fuse is to isolate circuits so that a simple fault blows a fuse, and doesn't take the rest of the system down.
Brian.

Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 12:23
you would have thought the lights wouldn't be on an essential circuit,  but that's what makes Guzzi so special isn't it
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic