guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breva dash condensation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrorodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breva dash condensation
    Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 13:49
Having replaced my instrument cluster on my Breva 1100, 4000 miles ago with a new(old stock) unit, I was disappointed to see it mist up this week. I now cover it with a shower cap when parked up(as suggested on this forum I think) I am changing jobs shortly, which will involve much travelling. The good news is I can use a motorcycle. I am thinking of a Norge, but as I have to log my miles, the thought of a leaking instrument panel is off putting. Does anyone know if Guzzi solved this problem with the 8v versions?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 17:26
Never had any problem with my 07 Norge. I think the angle on the Norge is different, so maybe it doesn't suffer quite as much.

There is a fix for this problem, see the topic in the FAQ section.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
retrorodent View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrorodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 15:08
Hi Brian,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I sat on a Norge today. I was surprised how small the fairing was. How efficient is it at keeping you dry?

Chris  

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 14:42
I have the larger screen on my Norge, which helps, but you do get wet hands.

The Norge with the electric screen has the dash mounted at a different angle to the manual version by the way, which might affect things.
Brian.

Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrorodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 20:01
I wasn't going to sell the Breva, I love it. I was thinking of an additional bike for work. At the moment I commute 200 miles a week. This will climb to 600+ a week and was wanting something to keep the bad weather at bay, as well as reliable mileage information.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 17:00
Originally posted by retrorodent retrorodent wrote:

This will climb to 600+ a week

Wha...? Shocked

S0d that.....

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrorodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 11:24
There'sworse ways to make a living than being paid to ride around.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 14:17
I have a 2012 Norge and not had any problem with misting. I replaced the stock screen with a larger Skidmarx screen which is fine and deflects most rain bit I would go for the largest if I need to replace it
I rode from Edinburgh to Totnes in Devon last year on what was probably the worst weather I hAve been on a bike. With a pair of waterproof trousers and my Tuareg jacket I was bone dry but it took the jacket a couple of days to dry outl
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 16:30
When I picked up the Bellagio I noticed after about 20 miles that there was some mist/condensation on the inside of the glass, it did go away by the time I had got home, unfortunately my mother died later that day and due to various things happening over the following few weeks I didn't get to go out on the bike.
However when I did get the chance I again noticed the misting so I had a bit of a poke round on the internet and there were a number of solutions, from the sublime to the ridiculous!

The one I settled on was opening up the dash, making sure everything was as dry as possible and polishing the glass, when I had it open I drilled 3 holes in the base of it , the black plastic section, using a pin vise with small modelling drill bits, one in each corner and one in the centre of the bottom , I made the hole that is on the same side as  the side stand slightly bigger as the bike would be lying at an angle when parked allowing any water that did ingress to drain out.

When putting it back together again  I used good quality, flexible bathroom silicone sealer to seal the joints , the colour is your choice.

Up until now it has been a success with NO misting inside the clocks and that includes the horrendously wet journey I had back from the west coast a few months ago. I hope I just haven't cursed it !

Anyway, that seemed to work for me, a few small unseen holes and a bit of quality silicone, it maybe a solution to your misting problem, if it is you can put your shower cap on ebay, say it's piece that very few Guzzis were supplied with ad make a fortune!Big smile

Good luck

1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

It wisnae me, a big boy done it and ran away!

"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now!"
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 18:03

There'sworse ways to make a living than being paid to ride around.

OK, I thought it meant commuting. LOL

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrorodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 09:36
Thanks for the tip. Just a bit nervous of opening it up. The clocks that came with the Breva were damaged by the previous owner using a screwdriver to prize them apart.
rbt1548 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbt1548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 15:35

Thanks for the tip. Just a bit nervous of opening it up. The clocks that came with the Breva were damaged by the previous owner using a screwdriver to prize them apart.

Don't go into it all guns blazing, just undo the screws, I'm not sure what a Breva dash is like construction wise but the Bellagio has screws that hold the chrome area  to the main dash so I assume the Breva will be similar.
 If the dash will not separate will a wee bit of pulling I wouldn't use a screwdriver to prise it open, just check all the screws are out, if they are it's likely that it will be the seal that is making the separation difficult, you can use something like a hairdryer to warm it up and soften the seal and that should help separate the dash.
1975 Honda CB750 K5
1958 Wife

It wisnae me, a big boy done it and ran away!

"I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now!"
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 17:18
http://guzziriders.org/uploads/6/Clocks1.pdf
This is a detailed description of dismantling the Breva dash, courtesy of the Guzzitech forum.
Brian.

Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrorodent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 20:14
Thanks for the link. I might give this a try, might need some dutch courage first...
Graham UK View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 18:26
It was October 2013 when I purchased my Breva 1100, and I was dismayed that the dash misted quite badly as soon as the cooler weather came.  However, it didn't mist consistently.  It seemed worst at the change of seasons and would then settle down.  I rode it through all kinds of horrible weather, right through until I sold the bike in December 2015, and the dash never failed.  So, I wouldn't worry too much yet.  Keep and eye on it and only try risky surgery if it really is a regular problem.  By the way, be careful to ensure ventilation if you cover the dash, otherwise you may simply be creating condensation that can't escape; the problem seems to be more about condensation than about rain getting in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic