guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cali 1100i ,sensible riding position

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cali 1100i ,sensible riding position
    Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 20:55

a few months ago ,I fitted a £60 nose cone fairing ,see second photo , but kept footboards and "apehangers". I wasn't really happy with the bars ,a 200 mile ride made my wrists sore due to the weird angle my wrists were when holding the bars .
Next I fitted renthal superbike high bars ,much more comfortable but then my feet felt in the wrong place and I really didn't like moving my right foot up and onto the peg to brake .
Next ,I fitted Le Mans gearchange and brake pedal but gutsibits wanted loads of dosh for footrests ,so I made my own and modified the alloy silencer brackets to suit.
All in in all , very happy with the results ,gearchange is much more precise ,braking is normal ,no more moving my foot in advance of braking and cornering feels even better for having my feet back ,my hands lower and I can stick my knee out like a pro in corners .
But best of all , I can ride comfortably and keep up a reasonable speed without hanging on for grim death in the wind .
DavieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 21:47
Nice work, looks super comfy. Would be great to get a closer look at the pedals set-up.

What tail light are you using - tidier than the factor frog eyes! 
Drumnagorrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 17:42
I can e mail bigger pics if you want to PM your e mail address.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 17:53
I would never of thought of that fairing on that bike but it works a treat ,nice work . Getting rid of foot boards I do understand I'm never 100% happy when I ride a bike with them but others love them
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 20:07
That really looks good, something like what Guzzi ought to market outside the US. I've never really liked the look of Mk3 onward Calis but that's a simple transormation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 13:00
Thanks for the comments ,
Yes completely agree ,Guzzi lost it in the styling dept from Cali 2.
Under the skin all big block Guzzis ( don't know anything about the smaller ones )are roughly the same ,all handle ,all stop and all have a very rideable engine characteristic that can pick it's feet up when opened up .
I had a Sport 1100 ten years or so ago and loved the bike except low speed running ,just bloody difficult in traffic ,now if I could get it back and fit my Cali engine into it ,it would be perfect .

The back light is an LED I bought off E bay can't remember the make ,it was around £40 from Germany . It's mounted on a stainless blanking plate to cover the original rear light hole ,I wanted to retain the rubber mountings so just fabricated the mount .
Rear brake pivot is higher than the normal mounting hole on the lower frame rail ,I found that the clutch arm would have to be adjusted into a very inefficient position to clear the brake lever ( it was always a problem on my first T3 )
Gearchange is mounted on the original pivot as Guzzi intended ,no probs in that area.
If any one want's to convert their Cali ,I will be happy to explain what's needed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 13:17
Taillight is Highway Hawk HIGH68255905 , I got it from Metric Motorcycle in UK
seem to be sold out at the moment .
DavieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 21:40
Cheers for putting the photos up. Tidy job, looks solid Thumbs Up

Funnily enough I put the same style light in black on mine (will try to put a photo up later). I got mine here.

http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=255-905-6

They look better and seem to be a bit brighter as well. I fitted a number plate light too. Next job some neater traditional style indicators to match. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:23
Same as mine ,I took the mounting bracket off and flush mounted from the underside of the stainless cover .
DavieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DavieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 18:38
Thor_Rob View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor_Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 23:25
I've had Cali 3, my first Guzzi, for two years now and I want to change the pedal position. Even though I have short legs I've never got on with the floorboards and the mid position controls. Like you say, raising my entire leg to use the brake  is a pain, literally! The bike came with lower, wider bars which are comfortable. Were the footpegs expensive to have made.Lovely looking bike you have, and lovely to ride as well. 
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 07:24
Others will know more about this, but there was an alternative brake pedal made by someone which put it just in front of the floorboard, easier to operate.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
andrewhush View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewhush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:14
T3 footrests and pedals fit straight on but exhaust hanger plates need amending. See this post for close up photos : http://www.guzziriders.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=13322&KW=&title=t3-clutch-gearbox-operating-lever
andrewhush View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewhush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:36
And a couple of not quite so close up pics of my setup. Pedals are early lemans and the footrest hangers are t3, cut, shortened and rewelded to suit the pedals
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 13:17
Nice job, to be fair Guzzi did make the Cali special and Stone with footrests Me never have an issue with the boards, but I see the point, I use the small spigot in Town and traffic for the brake. 

The 1400 they really took up this issue and made the 'boards work well, footbrake was on leading front edge - no more foot waving, the gear change was at your toe and the heel part was at the bottom edge they split the gear pedal similar to Harley and other manufacturers that produce Cruisers with footboards. 

Quite why they didn't re do the controls with the Cali 2-3-EV I never understood. 

As for fairing that works but the Cali EV Touring fairing and screen is superb it really works, to get the older T3/V1000 tall screen to work well it needs to be spaced forward at the top by around 1" THAT stops the awful turbulence again why Guzzi did not figure that out with the wind tunnel always amazed me.

The small differences make a good bike/ride into a Superb one

The Older i Get, The Better I Was
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic