guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7III my thoughts.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7III my thoughts.
    Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 13:53
Got a V7III as a 24hr courtesy bike while my V7II is in for annual service.
It's very nice actually, smoother and feels a little more lively, probably down to engine tweaks and a change in 1st and 6th gear ratios.

The clutch is lighter, front brake feels a tad sharper and engine vibes reduced.
Handling is still light and flickable and the redesigned exhaust has a very pleasing note.

Nicer to ride around town and in slow traffic due to the lighter clutch and revised gearing, the seat is a little lower too, better for planting feet at the lights if you're the short of arse variety.

The gear change feels to have shorter throw at the lever and a couple if times it felt like it hadn't "gone in" but that's a minor gripe.

What isn't so great is that the seat is still uncomfortable for longer rides and the new Kayaba rear shocks are still harsh unfortunately.

Also ground clearance is definitely worse! I'm no knee down loony but I can ride 'spiritedly' enough to have no chicken strips on my V7II and on the new V7III the right foot peg grounded twice on the way home on roundabouts. A little disconcerting when you're not expecting it, I've not once ground a peg on the II.

Overall a lovely bike, looks nice, rides nice but ground clearance issue and price hike will not see me buying one.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 16:17
Shame as looks good too, apart from the dodgy sidepanel.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Jonny Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 17:38
Panel does look iffy in pictures, however in the flesh as you walk round the bike it's ok.
Fatter dual wall downpipes and straight silencers much better than stock V7II though.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 23:01
I agree with most of the comments having tried the V7iii back to back with my V7 ii. Didn't have any grounding issues but it just didn't have the same quirky character (other peoples faults no doubt) as my V7ii. I also definitely thought that it didn't look as good which is obviously subjective. Funny, but I thought the suspension was much improved. Maybe the preloaded setting on the test bike I tried (at AD in Denbiegh) was more moderate.
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 06:42
They've done good job of avoiding being emissioned out of existence.
Adam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 09:57
Jonny boy, is the 6th gear taller than 5th on the older bikes?
Jonny Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 15:17
After riding the III back to the dealer and coming home on my II, yes the suspension is a bit more compliant.
I rode the same two roundabouts at the same speed and was nowhere near grinding footpegs like the III did.

For who was asking, 6th gear at 70mph on the II has the tacho at 4500 rpm whereas on the III it's pulling 4000 rpm in 6th at 70.

Mirrors are better on the III but the new clocks look cheap and the speedo is really cluttered.

In comparison I prefer my II.
The new one feels too 'new', it's definitely lost some of the charm.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 15:28
Originally posted by Jonny Boy Jonny Boy wrote:

Panel does look iffy in pictures, however in the flesh as you walk round the bike it's ok.

Fairy nuff, and another example of how photos don't tell (show?) the whole story. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
formerlyoldjohnboy View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formerlyoldjohnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 18:33
Well, it looks nice enough to have nudged me into re-joining guzziriders.org ! I rode the early V7, when one of my bikes was being serviced, and was impressed by its understated qualities. If I blag a test ride on one I'll probably be dooomed. Tongue
Jimbo View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 23:39
After initially being unsure of styling of the v7 III Special side panels, now that the Milano is being shown, the Special ones look smaller because of the flat black surrounding the blue.  Old style Milano/Racer panels now look oversized.
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 08:22
If a main issue is how the side panels look then the bike can not be too bad! And perhaps earlier panels could be fitted?
I saw the new V7 III models at the NEC and they looked very tidy. I don’t know if it was imagination but as well as the footrests being closer to the ground it looked like the new alloy castings made them wider.
Andyb
Jimbo View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 19:54
I did cut off about an inch of both footpegs, just to keep them from grabbing my pants at stops.
longjohn View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 21:06
Hi I have just brought a V7 iii and find it little noisy engine and drive wise is this the norm on Guzzi's.

thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic