guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Rogues Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1200 Sport Ticks the boxes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluetoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1200 Sport Ticks the boxes
    Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 14:46
Hi, New on here and just getting to grips with posting!
Bought my Sport in April the day before a 5 week trip away to work, hadn't even ridden it! Have now done 1400 miles on it and 500 were in one 24 hour period with a run to the west of Scotland, up to Dingwall and back the next day. I was saying to my two co riders (on Hondas) that you don't see many Guzzi's on the road, then low and behold when we parked round the back of our hotel in Dingwall there were two California's parked up!
I've been reading multiple posts and many more to go, but one stood out from a few years ago when a guy wondered if a 1200 sport would be a good track bike. I don't know if he ever did buy one, but he's missing out if he didn't.
I'm a retired sidecar racer I've had many bikes over the years and since I saw an 850 le mans in Edzell when I was around 12 years old I always wondered if I would get one.
By fate a friend of mine was coming out of biking a year past July, I bought his 1100 Breva (telling the wife my S4 Monster would go!!) I put new tyres on its set up the suspension and the thing was great. Not as sporty as the S4 but wasn't expecting it to be.

I was shown a picture of the 1200 Sport , a low mileage and like new so ended up trading two bikes for the sport, (arm twisted  by the wife and stupidly at the time though my monster wasn't valued highly, a bit daft for being hasty and not reviewing up and coming classic bikes!, live and learn, but was due away and wanted the bike in my garage, you know the feeling!)
More new tyres and an MOT and a service and I'm loving the bike. Tyres make all the difference to a bike and giving rider confidence they are always worth the money. I did some hasty research before the trade and haven't had a definitive answer if my engine will suffer any cam issues! its a 2012 and some reports say same engine as the Stevio/ Norge? but in correspondence to Fowlers in email they say no issue!! Anyhow only 5500 mile so far on it so hope to be a while before any serious spannering is needed.
Trip to west coast

The Blade catches up on the straights, the VFR catches up when we stop LOL

cheers Jock
Steve S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 15:15
Welcome to the site, Nice Sport it's the same as mine except mine has had the roller tappet conversion, you may be lucky but I would advise getting it done if it's a keeper

Edited by Steve S - 14 Aug 2017 at 16:16
2021 V85tt
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 15:23
Hi and welcome ,love the comment vfr catches up when we stop lol great looking bike
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 19:16
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

Hi and welcome ,love the comment vfr catches up when we stop lol great looking bike

The vfr rider must have been a numpty
my vfr was way quicker in acceleration than my 1200 sport.
but
the guzzi has soul.....and gets there in a nicer way
which is why I bought it

Edited by magwa - 14 Aug 2017 at 19:19
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 20:57
I know them vfrs are a class act , been lucky enough to get a ride on the early ones and the latest
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 21:39
Check the tappets. If they have not been rollerred they will need it.
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Bluetoon View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bluetoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 00:12
Thanks Steve, we will need to chat more, as yes I do intend to keep this bike.
Not the quickest machine out there, but not ten a penny on the road ( especially where I am)
Bluetoon View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluetoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 00:25
I'll make that a priority Jim, thanks

Johnno, I'm not downing my mates or any VFR, it is quick and well built, but as you mention Moto Guzzis are just different and character in abundance. My mate's don't want to have a go on mine, they think it's heavy, it isn't and even with a full tank it's not as top heavy as this vfr with all the panniers empty
Bluetoon View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluetoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 06:07
BTW anyone looking for a 1100 Breva I know where it is and its still for sale, 2005 model and from memory under 10k miles on it!, new tyres

Cheers Jock
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 07:03
Originally posted by Bluetoon Bluetoon wrote:

I'll make that a priority Jim, thanks

Johnno, I'm not downing my mates or any VFR, it is quick and well built, but as you mention Moto Guzzis are just different and character in abundance. My mate's don't want to have a go on mine, they think it's heavy, it isn't and even with a full tank it's not as top heavy as this vfr with all the panniers empty
my Jap riding m8s think I should be sectioned for riding Guzzi , like you none of my m8s don't even want to sit on them .lol
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 08:47
They're probably afraid thy might get hooked. Wink
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
TooJuicy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TooJuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 14:59
Great bike, I'm pleased you're enjoying it.

I have a 1200 Sport same as you, I've covered -/- 14k miles with no cam issues. Yet. I suspect the cams prefer long & hard rides rather than occasional brief rides to the pub. Still, I'm contemplating upgrading my cams even though Piaggio should cover the replacement should they fail in service: mine is a one owner Guzzi-serviced bike.

I am fortunate to own the 1200 Guzzi and a VFR 800 FiW. One has a lot of grunt and gives an easy ride. The other produces an endless stream of power and handles beautifully. There's room in this world for both. Both bikes go as fast as I ever would want but the VFR's warp factor acceleration, 40kg less mass, and better handling, is probably the winning edge if such things matter to you. But if they do, buy a Blade!! I am happy riding both.

Tony
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 17:39
Talking of friends trying your bike. A mate of mine who owns Laverdas,SF1,3C and RGS had a ride on my old V7 Special.
When he returned he said,"Yea,very nice.I see what you're getting at,   but not yet !!!"
He is ten years younger than me.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Bluetoon View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluetoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:50
Tanks for the comments  Tony, Dave, these are certainly not the usual bikes we see everywhere and that's one reason among many to own and cherish. They make you what to look after them!
I do have a few things Ill need to check on mine and  as its a FSH bike I hope the roller cam kit would be supplied by dealers?? I read somewhere that the kits were only fitted if the cams were found to be worn during a dealer service inspection, Yes/No?

I'm a mechanic and would have no issue fitting the parts but its getting them to start with. I'm sure by the time the cams have worn you could have put plenty of debris through the rest of the engine!

Cheers Jock
magwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 16:27
Lucky my bike is the 2v head so no cam issues.
but
mines up for sale in the relevant section as I've committed to a large building project that's going over budget
so I'm going back to a cheaper non guzzi bike.......
Magwa
2002 Triumph Sprint ST

1986 Morgan 4/4
1968 mobylette
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic