guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V35/V50 Fuse Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V35/V50 Fuse Box
    Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 16:19

The V35 has a a voltage drop which is causing issues. I'm not sure if the fuse box is the cause but it seems a good place to start.
Has anyone changed the fuse box? If so did you use a generic one or OEM? (assuming they are still available)
It’s more fun to try to ride a slow bike fast .....
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 16:44
Oddly enough, my V50 wouldn't start an hour ago. No response at all. I cleaned up all the fuses & sprayed with GT85 and that fixed it.

However I don't like that style of fuse having had endless trouble in the past with an MZ that used them and will probably fit a fusebox from Vehicle Wiring Products or similar.

Something like this: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/661/surface-mount-blade-fuse-box
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 17:17
I think Halfords also sell a generic 6-way fusebox that takes modern blade fuses. I still have the original fusebox in my SP and had to stop and rotate the fuses in their holders when I lost my lights the other night.
Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 17:45
Originally posted by iansoady iansoady wrote:

Something like this: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/661/surface-mount-blade-fuse-box

Thank you for the reply, I have been studying the VWP catalogue
As the OEM fuse box has inboard fixings,it is smaller than anything else I have seen. However if I am going to change it to something larger, I do wonder about fitting a six way fuse box and incorporating the starter mod fuse
Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 17:47
Originally posted by ranton_ramble ranton_ramble wrote:

and had to stop and rotate the fuses in their holders when I lost my lights the other night.

I'm glad it isn't just me with fuse box issues

Thank you for the hint about Halfords stocking one
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:47
Yeah - the Euro style fuses are much maligned. It does pay to pull them out and clean them from time to time. Corrosion at the contacts each end will lead to V drop and continuity failure. Just keep them clean - I shouldn't be bothered to swap the box out.
Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:49
All automotive fuses suffer from corrosion, I really don't think the later spade type are any better, certainly had problems myself.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 13:15
I've never had problems with the blade type but have with the type on the Guzzi (and MZ). I think one problem is that the copper contacts lose their springiness the contact becomes minimal.

The blade type are essentially the same as Lucar connectors and the act of inserting the fuse actually scrapes any corrosion off. I accept if they're left in a damp atmosphere for years they will suffer. A bit of silicone grease helps.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 16:40
Well I was losing something like 3 volts through just three lucar type connectors on the Norge, at fairly high current.
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 17:12
But if all Lucars were like that nobody would use them. It's like the old British bullet connectors that everyone swears at. In fact they're fine if properly soldered (or crimped if you must) and kept clean. They do start to get problematical after 30 years or so but that's way past their design life.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 22:16
I have seen so many corroded, rusty and unsprung Lucar type connectors over the years. Any connector on a bike will corrode, no matter how it's formed, unless it's protected from the elements.
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 10:45
Any type of connector will corrode if left dry and exposed to the weather. I always assemble mine with silicone grease, and for Lucars solder rather than crimp and use the flexible clear PVC covers.

Some of the multi-pin ones used on modern bikes are a nightmare as the contact surfaces can be tiny.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Motty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 22:38
Just to update this topic, I changed the fuse box to this one fuse box the four way jobbie fits in the same position as the original although I think I intended to purchase the six way.
I still have a voltage drop going on somewhere but with the new fusebox every thing seems to work now

Onwards and upwards to the next issue.......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic