guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 breather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V50 breather
    Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 10:49
It looks as though my newly acquired V50 is missing the proper breather / air filter box and has what looks suspiciously like a Mk1 Le Mans breather catch tank and possible K&N type filters although I haven't looked closely.

I remember the Le Mans arrangement was a common installation on Norton Commandos.

I'm not a slave to originality so wondered whether this is likely to work OK? The bike does seem to run fairly well (given the poor state of the throttle cables).
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 12:16
I ran mine with that system for a time when I was experimenting with a single carb setup.

Does it have the oil return to the sump plumbed in?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 12:34
I can't quite see but will have a look when time permits.

When I first looked at  the bike I was a bit concerned about a noise from under the tank which didn't sound serious but nevertheless.....

Now I've synchronised the cables, which were miles out, it's gone. I suspect it was coming from the cylinders fighting one another..... It now runs quite evenly but seems a bit rich so will check all that out soon.

It is a bit oily down there and the vendor did mention something about a previous oil leak which I guess was from some connection to the breather. There are quite a few pipes but I need to trace them through.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 14:49
As Brian says if it's plumbed into the sump and has breather hoses to the heads and a filtered air intake on the catch can this seems to be a common arangement used with pod filters and probably more the norm on smallblocks now than the PITA OEM airbox.

Cheers
Dave
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 15:10
If you look in the carbs, check the atomizer jet for wear, they go oval with the needle flapping in them, makes the bike run rich. Made a huge difference to mine when I changed them.
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 16:41
Thanks, will check.

I want to get it up & running till probably September then will get stuck in to all the necessary jobs.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 17:16
Just seen a picture of your bike looks good in blue I like the front mudguard
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 17:20
Original air cleaner/breather arrangement works OK but is a nightmare to change the filter. That's why people change them.
Another common cause of rich running is the seals on the choke plungers. Easy enough to buy and fit new ones.
Dennis menace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 20:54
My V50 came without any heads breather hose arrangement and no air filter box. I use a gauze filter on each carb. I want to plumb in the head breather pipes to the sump but I am not sure where the sump attachment is. I see a blanking plug (M8 bolt and crush washer) at the back of the engine sump and above and to the left of the much larger oil drain plug. Is that the location for the return pipe?
If so, I will use an M8 hose tail barb connector and 'Y' pipe connector to run pipes to the heads. Does this sound OK?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 22:32
Yes, that's the fitting for the sump.
But don't put the breather pipes direct to the sump, you won't get any "breathing" that way will you?

You need to put the two head hoses into a container with a main exit for fumes at the top and the oil drain back to the sump at the bottom.
Brian.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:06
That seems to be the way my breather's arranged.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 14:07
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Yes, that's the fitting for the sump.
But don't put the breather pipes direct to the sump, you won't get any "breathing" that way will you?

You need to put the two head hoses into a container with a main exit for fumes at the top and the oil drain back to the sump at the bottom.

Thanks. Good point about the breathing. I'll see what I can rig up.
Simmoto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simmoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 20:13
Here's an example. Pipes to sides go to rocker covers, spiggot on left of photo to sump. Airbreather on front. HTH

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 10:36
Mine has the breather going to a plain hose which leads down beside the gearbox on the LHS so it can drip on the back wheel.....
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 19:50
Thanks for the photo. I am going to fit an old style Le Mans metal breather box/ catch tank as I have seen them on EBay. I'll do the plumbing myself. Christiaan Barnard would have been proud!The bike is a bit retro so it will be in keeping.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic