guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stelvio oil leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stelvio oil leak
    Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 18:10
I had what I thought was a slight weep from the left side barrel of my 09 registered, but I believe it to be an 08 model, Stelvio.
For the first time yesterday I was able to get out for a decent run. It rune very nicely gearbox is as sweet as you like, and I was surprised how nicely it handled considering it on the original 40k suspension.

Anyhow, on my return there appeared to be a fair bit more oil on the engine casings. Cleaned everything off and went for a short spin then had a good look around.
I think the leak is coming from the middle of the engine between the V and directly behind the alternator.
Am I right in thinking this is the OIL PRESSURE SWITCH ? if so is it easily accessible with the tank removed and does it have a seal?

Cheers.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 18:19
Almost certainly the oil pressure switch, they can leak internally. How t get at it on a Stelvio I don't know I'm afraid, they can be difficult.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 19:00
Wrnkley. I had an 08 Stelvio and found some info on line. I've got a pdf that might be too big - it shows the lube system on a few pages. Its over 3mb so might not be uploadable....eh?...If it doesn't then pm me and I'll try and email it to you.  On a sour note - my stelly had a leak after less than a week out of the dealers and it turned out to be the crank seal. Hopefully yours is nowt.    Trying to upload pdf now....er, nope I can't see how to upload a file.  PM me    John
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 10:15
Well, work this PM then off to the caravan for a few days, so I got up early to see if I could get to the oil pressure switch.

All the body work off, then the tank off, took about 45mins (I've done it before) Wow,there was an awful lot of oil around the oil pressure sensor. It's pretty tight but I actually managed to get it off with an old 7/8 open ended spanner which I cut down a bit.

The sensor has obviously caused problems in the past, someone had tried to seal it with some sort of gasket type sealer they had also smothered the threads on the sensor when replacing it, what a mess (pics to follow)
I really can't understand why someone would go to all the effort of getting to, and removing the sensor, then bodge it rather than replace it Angry.

Going to take me a fair while to clean the threads of all the gunk, but our caravan is up in Rosedale,on the North York Moors, and only a short ride from Teasdale's Guzzi dealers in Thirsk, so hopefully they'll have one.
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 10:20
op switch has been updated , the updated 1 may not fit ( don't you just love MG ) 

it has an adapter pn 22 and op switch pn 16 

https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .
wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 10:53
Thanks for that. it's always nice to go forewarned.
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 15:57
Not another caravan tugging, road blocking git....that's 2 of us at least.  Embarrassed
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 19:20
Originally posted by cugsy cugsy wrote:

Not another caravan tugging, road blocking git....that's 2 of us at least.  Embarrassed

No no no, it's very nice static, on a very nice plot, on a very nice site, in the very picturesque village of Rosedale in the North Yorks Moors. It's got a dishwasher I'll have you know Wink.

Finishing work in about 30mins, then a lovely blast over to the van on my Explorer.
wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 07:49
Originally posted by theoneandonly theoneandonly wrote:

op switch has been updated , the updated 1 may not fit ( don't you just love MG ) 

it has an adapter pn 22 and op switch pn 16 

You where spot on. The switch now comes with an adapter. To get to the switch was a bit of a pain, as all the plastics and tank needed to be removed, not a massive job but a pain. I've read on 'Wildguzzi' that some folks have been able to do it just by removing the L header pipe, personally I prefer as much room as possible.
The new switch stands about an inch taller than the old one and has a spade connector rather than the original, so the connector, on the bikes wiring, needs to be swapped. Some folks have had a problem with the alternator being in the way, but I had no such difficulty.

If you're ever doing this job I would suggest you fasten the adaptor to the crankcase first. It's all a bit tight but you can get a 21mm socket onto the adaptor and get it nice and snug, plus it leaves a little more room to be able to get a spanner around the switch itself.

I've started the bike up and all seems OK, but I'll take it for a run this morning, minus all the bodywork, that could get me some interesting looks Wink
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 15:59
So what is this adapter? Does it change the thread from Metric to Pipe or something?
Brian.

wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 17:47
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

So what is this adapter? Does it change the thread from Metric to Pipe or something?

They are no longer using the original pressure switch, and using one from an Aprilia which has a narrower fitment and a finer thread. The adapter is just a piece of alloy that screws into the block with the original thread, has a bore through the middle and is bored and threaded at the other end to allow the finer thread to fit.

Also discovered a small leak at the Rev sensor. Had to take the nearside downpipe off to get at it. Gaskets all basically fell to bits, so job stopped until replacements arrive. Thought I might as well replace all the exhaust gaskets whilst at it. Could I hell as get the exhaust hanger bolt undone.

It's gunna fight me is this one, but I do like a challenge.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 18:16
Originally posted by wrnklCould I hell as get the exhaust hanger bolt undone.</div><div> </div><div>It's gunna fight me is this one, but I do like a challenge.</div><div> </div>[/QUOTE wrnklCould I hell as get the exhaust hanger bolt undone.

It's gunna fight me is this one, but I do like a challenge.

[/QUOTE wrote:

TopMan
TopMan
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 08:28
By rev sensor, you mean the cam position sensor I guess. This has to be carefully spaced from the phonic wheel behind, so be careful with replacing gaskets. The exact figures are given in the workshop manuals.

The air gap affects the ignition and injection timing.
Brian.

wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 06:36
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

By rev sensor, you mean the cam position sensor I guess. This has to be carefully spaced from the phonic wheel behind, so be careful with replacing gaskets. The exact figures are given in the workshop manuals.

The air gap affects the ignition and injection timing.

Thanks Brian, I'm well known for calling things by different names, bit like Hilda Baker, (only those of a certain age will know who she is) Wink

I was aware of the air gap, but unsure at this point how to measure it if honest.

There where 3 thin alloy plates and an O ring sealer, so I've cleaned everything up put a thin bead of sealer on the block and buttoned it all up with the same 3 gaskets. I'll be giving it a run later today when I get the exhaust and tank back on.

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 18:54
That should be fine.
If the O ring was still more or less ok, what I do is put a smear of silicone gasket in the O ring groove, then put the O ring on top , push it in a bit to locate and screw  up tight.
Brian.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic