guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annoying ratle on V7 front end!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 04:13
Mine doesnt sound like a ball bearing dropping into a bucket.I actually thought it was my keys rattling at first.I grabbed the keys to dampen them,but the rattling continued.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 06:29
I haven't noticed this on mine either, although it sounds you have a different model to everyone else Bob, must be the V7 GT turbo?
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 07:56
The discs need to float on the bobbins. No movement can result in a binding brake or warped rotor, seem to remember that was why I had to fit new rotors to my Norge.
Maybe the best solution is earplugs or removing any dB killers......
AndyB
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 08:28
The bobbins provide a flexible link between the central disc carrier and the brake disc itself to allow for expansion when hot. But it shouldn't be loose.

If there is movement which you can feel between the disc and carrier then it's a potential MOT fail or at the very least an advisory warning. Why not go to your local friendly MOT man and ask his opinion?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:11
The 34000 mile disc on my BMW has movement parallel with the wheel axle, which I would expect but no circumfrential play. So while it rattles I. think it is all OK.

BUT

The 4000 mile disc on my V7 disc does have circumfrential movement of about 1mm....wonder if it has been like that from new?
Can others check their bikes and feedback
No rattles or anything else seems wrong with it
Cheers
AndyB
Wildhenry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildhenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:45
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your input on my 'annoying rattle' problem.
On reflection I think my original description of "a ball bearing dropped into a plastic box" was not very accurate......sorry!
The noise is definitely more of a metallic rattle/clunk sound!  
As I mentioned there is a bit of play when the front is lifted, brake applied and the wheel moved back and forth rotationaly.
Over ordinary bumps in the road surface there is no noise at all, just the more deep ones.
I'm 99% sure it's a loose floating disc.....thing is how do I solve it?

Wildhenry    
Bright moments
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 13:06
Unless I'm much mistaken what you described is the standard test for loose steering head bearings.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Wildhenry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildhenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 15:31
I've checked the bearings and they are OK.....but the front disc actually moves a hell of a lot though!
! was thinking that  if I 'punch' the centre of the bobbins to stretch them out in effect would that fix the play that's causing the noisy rattle?

Wildhenry.
Bright moments
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 15:37
I think as Brian said shouldn't be loose. I  think they're FUBAR.....

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Wildhenry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildhenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 16:04
My bike is a 2012 and has only done 11,000 miles surely the front disc can't be knackered already?

Wildhenry.
Bright moments
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 18:50
Hi Wildhenry,
Movement of the front wheel with the disc locked by the brake is normal. My V7 II makes a "clunk" if I rock it back and forth with the front brake applied, it's the disc taking up the slack in the bobbins.
It's always had this amount of slack from new. I can feel the front wheel move between the clunks.

I also get a random "clunk" from the front end on bumps in the road, but very random and very occasional. I've just ridden the most potholed back lanes you can imagine and not a peep from it... Yet tomorrow I'll ride to work and out the blue there'll be this loud "clunk".

Just put it down to character, I'm prety sure there's nothing wrong.

PS. Another source of this type of noise (on my bike at least) is electrical connectors under the seat area, hit a large bump and they'll tap the frame.  That's just more character, one day I'll get around to adding a few more tie wraps.

Ciao, Pete.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 19:03
I was reading a similar story on Guzzitech yesterday regarding the new V7 so it seems the quality control is lacking a little.
Brian.

stokes1971 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 00:28
Originally posted by Wildhenry Wildhenry wrote:

My bike is a 2012 and has only done 11,000 miles surely the front disc can't be knackered already?

Wildhenry.
Mine is a 2016,bought it May of this year brand new,leftover with 1 mile on it.Its got a little over 1200 miles right now and has a bit of movement when I manipulate the outer part of the disc.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 09:18
A bit of movement in that situation would not be enough to cause a noise in operation. That amount of movement is correct.
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 15:39
Any more news on this?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic