guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Annoying ratle on V7 front end!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 17:38
Originally posted by cyclobutch cyclobutch wrote:

Loose wheel nuts in hub caps used to a be a good one. 

Loose nuts should always be stored carefully!
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 17:42
My BMW R100R makes a similar noise from the front disc. It moves a little axially along the bobbins which accounts for the noise, but there is no radial or circumfrential movement between the disc and the carrier. It has been like that a few years now and is annoying, but I don't think is a problem. I was wondering about wrapping some dental floss around each bobbin to deaden them - I guess you could try that and if the noise went it would prove the source.
The advantage is that there is very little disc drag and pads last a long time.
AndyB
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 18:28
Originally posted by Wildhenry Wildhenry wrote:

However I am getting an annoying  rattle that sounds like it's coming from the front when I go over any large pot holes ect.
If you can imagine a large ball bearing dropping into a plastic box sort of sound.

Not by any chance the forks bottoming out? (Cos in my head I still can't make a brake disc make that kind of noise.)

Another possibility, and this has been posted about I'm sure, unless memory is playing tricks on me (an almost daily occurrence), is fork spring slapping the inside of the fork leg on compression.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 18:45
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

However I am getting an annoying  rattle that sounds like it's coming from the front when I go over any large pot holes ect.
If you can imagine a large ball bearing dropping into a plastic box sort of sound.

Not by any chance the forks bottoming out? (Cos in my head I still can't make a brake disc make that kind of noise.)

Another possibility, and this has been posted about I'm sure, unless memory is playing tricks on me (an almost daily occurrence), is fork spring slapping the inside of the fork leg on compression.

when I rode one at a pace and braked hard it did knock on front end ,MikeH could have a point if your bigger than a wimp like me or ride quite hard
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Andyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 19:52
Believe me, the noise on my BMW is a rattling disc.......tap it when stationary and you hear the noise. Metallic rattle.
But got to admit it does not sound like a ball bearing dropped into a plastic box.

V7 forks seems to have a lot of stiction and I found mine almost solid over small sharp bumps until I changed the fork oil to a thinner SAE5. Better in summer as well, when the oil is thinner. So I don't think they bottom out. More lock up.

AndyB
stokes1971 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 00:53
I took a quick look at my disc while the bike was in the shed.I grabbed the outer edge of the disc and there is a bit of movement.I'll have a better look when I have time tomorrow.
cyclobutch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyclobutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:05
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

when I rode one at a pace and braked hard it did knock on front end ,MikeH could have a point if your bigger than a wimp like me or ride quite hard

I think you will know it when you bottom out the forks. Did it on my Camel at the weekend. Felt like I'd done serious damage. Found the witness marks where the mudguard had gone into the bottom of the top yoke.

Butch
V50 II - 'The Black Pearl'
T3 - 'Blue'
Eldo Loop - 'Jug'
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 00:21
I had a closer look at mine today and the outer part of the front disc is riveted to an inner part.The rivets are not tight and the disc moves some.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 08:41
Yes, a floating disc, allows it to move when heated.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Wildhenry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildhenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 17:47
Hi All,
Still trying to locate the 'rattle over potholes from front end'
Took it to a Moto Guzzi shop and they said the rattle was down to a loose (very loose) front floating disc and all Guzzi do that!
Also checked for loose bits in the headlight (nothing there)
When the front was lifted and I moved  the wheel back and forth with the brake applied the disc sure does rattle a lot, so it still looks like that's the problem!
Maybe change the floating disc for a solid one...why have a floating disc anyway?
Any ideas for a remedy?

Wildhenry.
Bright moments
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 19:20

Maybe change the floating disc for a solid one...why have a floating disc anyway?

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Yes, a floating disc, allows it to move when heated.

Didn't know that! Fairy nuff. Big smile

Still not convinced the noise (as described) is anything to do with brake discs.

What you need is somehow recreate the conditions so it can be studied at will.

motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 19:39
You know, come to think of it, I occasionally get a loud 'clonk' noise from the front end on sharp bumps (V7 II).

Doesn't do it often and there's nothing obvious amiss, handling seems fine with no slack that I can feel. Must be that floating disc! It moves freely on the buttons so I suppose it could thump the rotor on a sudden bump.

Incidentally, on a similar theme, I checked my swingarm bearings recently I found the adjustmnent was loose with play in the swingarm. That gave a light clonking sound at the back that I could feel slightly through the seat, especially if I caught a ridge at a shallow angle like riding up a dropped kerb.

Reset the pins as-per manual and all is quiet...

Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokes1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 19:46
I am fairly satisfied that the rattling I hear on my V7II is that "floating disc".Dont know why they are made like that,anybody have any idea? I've never seen or heard about a "floating disc" before this bike,my first Guzzi.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 19:48
The problem I have with this is that the disc rotor doesn't have enough mass to make that much noise. I would expect more of a metallic tinkly ringing noise not a thunk or ball bearing dropped into a bucket.

BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 20:14
It's probably been said already but the idea of a floating disc is to prevent overheating and warping; cruicially important when you're hammering a V7 down from 170 into a bend! Engineering overkill or are they just cheaper? BTW mine doesn't rattle.

Edited by BobV7 - 11 Aug 2017 at 21:02
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic