guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Spine Frame
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More fuel me... (Sport 1100 fuel issue)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 23:08
No wonder we’re struggling to figure out where to attach the tubes if the air box is the injection version.

You might take them off altogether, as the old models don’t have any hoses at all for that.
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 08:13
Agree, just make sure rainwater couldn't get in where the hoses were.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
English View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 18:04
In receipt of photo of early airbox now. There is indeed a small spigot to the underside to accept the hose from the floatbowl . At top there is another spigot which my buddy says is for tank overflow , in the same location as the later one that you have. Have you a small bore hose off the filler neck , underside for that ? All that said : he runs as I said , no airbox now. It's a v early 1100 Sport but it's still a monster .
GuzziHero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 20:05
I don't have a tank overflow, oddly.  It vents out of the cap.  The only things the tank has are the low fuel sensor and the fuel taps themselves.  I'm guessing that only certain models had the fuel vapour capturing cap as I am certain that this is where the topmost tube is supposed to attach.  There is another underside at the front which goes to the frame crank breather.

---
I'm taking the box off now, I was hoping that the pressure on those float bowl tubes might help solve the issue.  The bike runs better (slightly) with the box on than off, but general consensus is it is more of a hindrance than a help.

My spark is healthy, it also has new plugs.  Guy Wain adjusted the tappets, and checked the compression which is good. 

I checked the silencer bores - 44mm inlet, 28mm outlet.  It has straight through pipes with link so I am guessing it should have been dynotuned after that but wasn't.

My next plan now is to check the spark, clean the ignition pickup, buy some open silencers and dynotune it.  There seems to be no other reason for it not to run right.  I've heard from many sources that the bikes are chronically underjetted for emissions purposes. 

Thankfully I have 3 dynotuners locally, so it'll most likely go to Retrotune for a rejet over the winter.  He worked wonders on my Griso, and has a full set of Dell'Orto jets ready.

Edited by GuzziHero - 21 Oct 2017 at 20:08
A tappy Guzzi is a happy Guzzi!
English View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 20:21
Cool.   Out of your list here I'd say the ign pick-up = biggest factor in fall-off of pulling power.
Good luck.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 14:45
Hi I see Fluff as given some advice which is very interesting I like is advice about not reving out and only doing 6000rpm . I have been lucky enough to ride a few sports with K&N filters on and all have been pigs but it sounds like Fluff knows what he is on about and set his up good . Today I opened mine up coming out of a bend and it went straight to end of clock so I'm still a fan of the Airbox but like Fluff states it looks sh*t . Best of look on the route you take .
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 17:48
Hi there I have just read thro` this thread and some of your problems around revving out mirrored my own fight recently with my V50/3 in the small blocks section, especially your mention of K&N type filters. My own bike was fitted with these filters and it was they that finally proved to be the problem, ie. too restrictive. If you view the thread (V50/3 running rough)then you will see that mine wouldn`t rev out in high gears and that in desperation I took the bike out without filters fitted and what a revelation it was, brilliant. Thus I have now bought replacement non restrictive filters (Chinese) and the bike is running great. Don`t know if any of this helps but just a thought!
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

GuzziHero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 18:11
Maybe velocity stacks are the way forward, and keep the cones under the seat in case I get caught in the rain!
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 18:21
A test ride without any filters will answer your query, I just wish I had something left at 100mph apart from wishful thinking!!
CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

English View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 20:16
You'd think there were lots of airboxes going spare 'out there' ! May be that folk keep them on a shelf in the event the bike should be sold .
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 23:26
Originally posted by English English wrote:

At top there is another spigot which my buddy says is for tank overflow ,

Tank breather, not overflow. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Fluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 17:30

Hopefully this will work! 'Bout time the Old Girl made another appearance...
'95 1100 Sport on carbs (from new)
'08 GSA (from new)
'57 plate XR650R (from Wales)
'06 K1200S (from Dubai - oooh!)
Fluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 17:35

After a full road trim winter rebuild following The Factory visit above. Looks like a right tart!

What I'd like is a pillion seat cowl. Anyone?

Edited by Fluff - 29 Oct 2017 at 17:39
'08 GSA (from new)
GuzziHero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 17:39
That pic is perfect!  I was just looking into what size filters I need and seeing yours I can see my calculations are about correct.  135mm long, 110 wide (or thereabouts).  They're like small paint tins!

I'm going to get a pair of these dustbins... https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=RA-0540

I couldn't find the post with the jet sizes you mentioned.  If you have them writte down somewehere it'd help point my dynotuner in the right direction.

---
In other news, I'm thinking of having the phrase "buco nero per i soldi" put on my reg plate.  Its Italian for 'black hole for money' :D
Fluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 17:46
He! He! As you say black hole....

Here you go:-
I'm lucky enough to have had a '95 1100 Sport from new so can speak from experience.

First, they are slow to warm up properly from new compared to modern stuff. I don't expect mine to run without spitting back through the carbs even now for at least 10 miles and not to run at 100% for 15 or so. I don't mean to sound big or anything but they like to be ridden hard with the revs up! 

Second, after much experimentation and talks with Amadeo at Raceco I junked the airbox and fitted the biggest K&N's I could find, then went 50/3 slider/throttle valve, 165 mains, 55 idles, K27 needles which helped but also tried 160/60's on the way.

Third, the factory tappet settings are also very tight which doesn't help. Again Amadeo recommends 8thou in 10thou ex which is what I run mine (.1 - .15mm standard)

The old girl doesn't run completely clean at about 2500 - 3000 but its much better than the awful flatspot that used to be there up to 3500...

You will have to balance and tune the carbs to your bikes liking to get the best out of her. Each is slightly different and so will be your riding style.

The lean mixture and airbox are the main culprits in getting it to run well

I could go on...

I'll go and measure my K&N's. back in a mo...
'08 GSA (from new)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic