guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7III 19" front & 18" rear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 09:53
The point now is, can you replicate that with the modern frame?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Morini View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 15:13
That is sweet!
Too bad we never got those in the states..Sleepy
Morini View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 16:13
From what I researched, one way to increase the space under the rear wheel well to make room for an 18" rear tire, is to swap the rear shocks for longer ones. Perhaps a 13 1/2" set of Hagon shocks.
Any comments to the affect on the bike?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 17:11
The one effect that would have is increase the angle the U/J drives through. But so long as it's not too extreme, it shouldn't cause problems. Look at some pictures of the Dakar Guzzis, they seem to cope.
Brian.

Morini View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 18:41
Right, I'll keep the angle similar.
I saw that on the Dakar Guzzi's... very noticeable drive shaft angle change.
redrover View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 08:11
Wow! So many naysers on here!

I don't believe the op asked for opinions on whether or not, or why it shouldn't be done... he asked if it is possible.

I would be very curious to know if this is possible as well... Did you ever make any progress?
redrover View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 08:15
Now I'm wondering whether the front 18" Mag off of a Stone can be put on as a rear mag, then a 19" rim laced to the original hub.

Does anyone know if the front mag wheel can be bolted with the rear disc brake set up on a V7 Stone?
NevadaJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevadaJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 08:44
I know of a rider who messed with the UJ angle and it disintegrated whilst riding!
All actions have consequences.
Nevada John
redrover View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 09:15
What is the UJ angle? What disintegrated?
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 09:58
Perhaps it's a matter of not giving any opinion or advise that might lead to a law suit? Americans can appear rather quick to run to a lawyer looking for a bit of compo when things go wrong. Personally I think if you want to try something then don't ask others,  just go for it. Your cash, your neck.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:26
Originally posted by redrover redrover wrote:

What is the UJ angle? What disintegrated?
Refer to my post above.
U/Js are not intended to run at extreme angles. I'm sure the manufacturers would give a specific answer as to the maximum angle, but go beyond and you could cause the U/J to break up. It also puts stress on the whole drive line as the wheel would change speed according to the rotation of the U/J.

Of course you could convert the drive shaft to incorporate a CV joint as fitted to all front wheel drive cars, then you could have almost any angle you want.
Brian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevadaJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:40
Thanks Brian for expanding the post. The disaster to which I refer was preceded by lowering the rear suspension in an extreme way, which I believe stressed the UJ beyond its recommended safe angle. I know the owner of that bike and she sold it and bought a Beemer before the UJ allegedly collapsed (on a test ride out at the BMW dealer by a potential purchaser).
I suppose that's one of the few advantages of sprocket and chain, which would be more accommodating to suspension or swing arm geometry changes.
Lovely ride out into Cornwall yesterday. Dodging the showers.
Nevada John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NevadaJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 10:43
Just another thought...if you want to experiment with xs angles use a drive shaft that incorporates more than one UJ! Foden Lorries come to mind!
Nevada John
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 11:42
And this is why sheds everywhere have clever ideas tucked away in dark corners.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
redrover View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 15:52
So if both the front and rear diameters of the wheels increase by an inch equally, the rear fender gets removed,the entire bike just sits an inch higher... This will change the UJ angle?

What if the shocks get lowered an inch in the rear and the front forks slide up an inch... the bike would be back to the original height off the ground, yet with ample clearance in the rear and front wheel wells.

Is this feasible? Dangerous?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic