guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V7III 19" front & 18" rear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V7III 19" front & 18" rear
    Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 05:23
Hey there,

I was wondering if anyone has attempted this?
Is there enough clearance in the rear to lace up a 18" rear wheel??
How about installing a spacer for the front mud guard to raise it/have the ability to install a laced up 19" front?

Cheers,

Morini
Huntington Beach, CA.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 07:35
Curious as to why you would want to do this?
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
NevadaJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NevadaJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 08:09
It does sound a bit iffy. I don't suppose the insurers would be too pleased...
Nevada John
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:38
I would check out what tyres are available for that size wheel first
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:26
Originally posted by BobV7 BobV7 wrote:

Curious as to why you would want to do this?

+1
Leofric View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leofric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 13:33
as said by others - why ?
I had Bonneville T100 with 19inch front wheel and didn't like it.
regards
Morini View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 14:08
My ambitions of doing this would be for better tire selection & ground clearance for the occasional off road I'd like to do. I'd also like to fab a skid plate to keep the oil sump protected when riding forest service fire roads.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 18:58
To be honest there are far better and cheaper bikes on the market to do exactly what you want. The Guzzi sump would be especially vulnerable even with a skid plate (which would actually reduce ground clearance). Visions of all the oil vanishing very quickly in one go! Your hard earned would be better spent elsewhere, but it's your dollar.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 20:10
You also need to think about suspension travel if off roading but if it's just flat dirt track it should be sound .
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 20:44
For forest service fire roads, the standard wheels with the same tyres that they fit to the V7 scrambler/Stornello wheels should be more than up to the job shouldn't they? BT60's I think!!! A sump guard wouldn't do any harm. Does the Stornello have one?if so you could just get one of those.....See the motogeo review of the Stornello on YouTube, same wheels as the standard V7 and it seems to cope with sand and dirt tracks OK.
Morini View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 21:10
Thanks for the replies.

I have noticed that the 2017 V7III's oil sump is different than any previous V7. It does not protrude downward so much- It's not exposed. Never the less, a proper skid plate would be nice.
Why a 19" front tire?? The plethora of choices in the off road category for tires.   As of now, there are no skid plates to protect the current underbelly of the V7's.
My thinking would be to not only raise the bike equally(front & rear), but to make it a light ADVenture bike. It has sooo many attributes going for it.

- rather large stock fuel tank
-easy to repair/ maintain
- waay lighter than the Stevlio/ Super Tenere/ GSA, etc..
-ample power
-better gas mileage than the other shaft drive 1200's
- still a low maintenance shaft drive.

I tried to do this with my 2015 Super Tenere that I'm selling tomorrow. The thing is an overweight Sumo wrestler!!
THAT's why I'm here.
I won't expect the V7III to replace a true off road thumper, but at least have the ability to ride down fire roads with a nice set of proper 50/50 tires & gain a whole tire size front and rear.

V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 22:58
Well maybe you should go for it then. I have long been convinced that the so called adventures bikes are just way too heavy lardy ass poser machines. Maybe you can bridge the gap between low power machinery like the new Enfield Himalaya and the GS type bike.
Morini View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 23:40
Exactly, V7Chris!!

Thats the idea.
I've been searching the "Interwebs" & can't really find much info about such a swap.
My only concern would be tire clearance within the fenders.
I think its just a matter of spacers for the two front bolts that hold the front fender in place.
The rear, perhaps the upper rear shock mounts need to be lowered- thus raising the bike... I think...
The front seems to be easier to tackle than the rear.
Also- to find a "crash bar" compatible with a 2 into 1 Agostini exhaust. Looks like their might be some header pipe interference.
Anyways, I will post my progress as I go along.
I appreciate finding this forum.Big smile
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 08:05
Do a search for the Guzzi NTX 750, loads of pictures of a bike Guzzi made for that exact reason. There was a 650 version too.
[​IMG]
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 08:12
And there is/was one on EBay in the UK fitted with a V7 engine- tasty
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guzzi-V7-Scrambler-V65TT/172672301924
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic