guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hot on one side

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot on one side
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 16:59
Hi
Does anyone have an idea what the most likely cause is of my left exhaust being blue and the other just very slightly off-chrome? I have a 2006 Cali EV V1100
It's probably obvious to say that the left side is running hotter but can someone tell me why?

Thanks in advance.

If it ain't broke, you're not using it.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 17:17
Fueling discrepancy, timing discrepancy, tight tappet (tappets)???
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 06:40
All of Dave's suggestions are potentially correct but out of the three,on a Fuel Injected bike such as yours I would plump for checking the tappets first.   

One further point, you will get a much stronger response to a technical query by posting in the correct section of the forum.

In this instance for your bike it's "Big Block Tonti"

Edited by Tarquin - 23 May 2017 at 06:44
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Freerace View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 07:14
Thanks for your responses and especially for the blog advice. I'd now idea where to post it and I'm ashamed to say I don't know what a 'big block tonti' is. I guess that's the nickname of my engine?
Many thanks.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 08:14
Yes, and I have moved this topic.

With fuel injection, the one possibility is that one injector is partially clogged. Worth putting some proprietary injector cleaner in the tank and go for a run to make sure both are as clean as they could be.

The one other cause I have once seen is that the chrome on one pipe is thinner, which could cause discolouration, but that's very unlikely.

Edited by Brian UK - 23 May 2017 at 08:17
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 08:27
Big Block Tonti refers to the design of the frame and covers lots of models from the 70's until 2000 + for Cali's, as opposed to Loop which was its predecessor.
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:44
Looking at photos for "2006 Cali EV V1100" it is a Tonti frame, so-o . . .

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:47
Anyway bluing suggests it's running lean so does need investigating.

+1 for check valve clearances (must be some!) and try injector cleaner.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
LarsW View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarsW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 13:19
Do absolutely check the injector! My Quota was running bad, and I was messing about trying to balance the throttle body. While all the time one side was running badly lean...
Then the poor thing stopped after a short sprint on the highway, scoring a piston....

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 14:10
Ouch!!
How did the cylinder bore look after that?
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Freerace View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 23:00
Thanks for all your responses; I'm really impressed with this community and thankful for all your help. I checked the valve clearances but as you'll all know, there are differing views on what this should be. I've seen 0.05 and 0.1, 0.15 and 0.20 plus 0.20 and 0.25.
Mine were both 0.15 and 0.20 and have left them at that setting. Right or wrong, I couldn't tell.
I'll check the injectors tomorrow. I've seen these cleaned using a battery and compressed air set up and I'll dig this out and show you a link.
Thanks again.
Kev
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic