guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2015 Stone mk ii

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2015 Stone mk ii
    Posted: 20 May 2017 at 22:57
Chaps, I hope one of you Guzzi experts can point me in the right direction. After 3 very poor experiences with Guzzi dealers, now the bike is 2 years old I will be doing all routine maintenance myself. Dealer 1 Strefford's - first service, bike spotless when it went in, filthy when it came out! Dealer 2 A&D - broke side panel clips so it fell off at the roundabout 100 yards from their workshop. Dealers 3 QB Dudley - damaged the rev counter glass and deny doing it. All 3 very expensive and very poor service although at least A&D were apologetic and sent me a new side panel.

Net result, I need to get the tacho glass repaired, is it possible on the V7 ii or will I need to buy a new unit which would be very expensive I think?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Chris
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 22:20
ought to be able to get a glass cut and fitted ..... hard part is getting the bezel off look locally vintage car or bike restorer or if lucky an instrument repair shop they are about .....maybe Frosts have a tool to do it ....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 06:37
Thanks Ken. Will try that.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 08:49
The bezel is sort of crimped onto the body (assuming it's done the way I have seen).
I have once done this, turn the tacho face down and with a small slim screwdriver work round the edge levering out the bezel slightly. Work round and round, doing just a bit at a time so as not to distort the metal too much. Eventually you will be able to remove it.

Putting it back on also takes patience, and must be done gradually again.

I couldn't guarantee that the finished product will still look as new though.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 06:31
Thanks Brian. I guess I have nothing to lose as I have been quoted £140 to repair it and that would include a new bezel. I haven't had a chance to price a new complete unit yet.
Chris
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 21:21
ETB instruments are good but I do believe there is a tool you can get it kinda works a bit like a reverse of a can opener in that it clamps on and you move it round to open then reverse it to close ...I have used a large jubilee clip to hold the edge and a screwdriver to gradually open it then carefully done the opposite to push it back down it takes ages and patience ..... but can be done ... I bought a real cheap speedo off e--bay the same dia for the glass and used it to practice taking the bezel off it gave me a spare bezel too just in case ..... the old speedo cost me £5 at the time .........then I found out I could have had glass cut locally for under that ...but hey . after the event and it let in moisture had to take apart and added a very thin bead of silicon to seal it ..... all in all 1st go was an utter faff BUT maybe this will help ...
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 21:24
The bead of silicone is a good tip.
Brian.

V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 07:14
Thanks for the tips guys. Certainly worth a try.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 10:34
The silicon I used was like a toothpaste tube I made sure the end was the smallest it could be a very thin bead let it semi set ....
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 17:41
Thanks Ken. Will bring it you so that you can demonstrate the finer techniques!
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 16:44
As I haven't had time to fully investigate removal of the rev counter head yet, (I need to remove the screen first). I decided to bodge a short term repair using halfords lens repair tape designed for car headlamps for £3.99. Allegedly waterproof. Certainly is super sticky. A tin of chickpeas used as a template. Trouble is, just like when I try to put on one of those phone screen protectors, whenever I try to put them on, my ham fisted attempts always result in a crease or an air bubble. Managed to incorporate both this time FFS! Anyway, a cursory look suggests that the tacho is in fact part of a moulded housing along with the speedometer and the bezel is a dummy? Anyone tried removing this unit on a V7ii before?
Chris
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 17:56
Sounds as if it's similar to the Norge in the way it's made.
Have a look at the document in this topic. http://guzziriders.org/carc-model-dash-misting-up_topic24.html

But if it is, then the repair you have done with the tape is probably all you can do.
Brian.

motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 19:27
Removing the instrument cluster is quite easy, from what I remember:
  • Unplug main connector at the front.
  • Remove 2 side screws holding the fascia plate (the one with TC and ABS tell-tales).
  • Carefully move fascia plate out the way to reveal 3 instrument mounting nuts.
    The tell-tale cables restrain the plate so it can't be fully removed, you'd be well advised to protect the area with PVC tape to stop its edges scratching everything in sight.
  • Undo 3 nyloc nuts (M6 I think) beneath the cluster.
  • Lift the cluster clear of the 3 mounting studs.
Looks like the front bezel of the cluster will seperate from the main body once the various screws are removed, hopefully the dials and guts are part of the main body and the bezel is simply plonked on top.

Not sure how the chrome bezels are fixed to the plastic body - cheap 'n cheerful bent tabs I'd imagine.

Good luck, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 22:54
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Sounds as if it's similar to the Norge in the way it's made.
Have a look at the document in this topic. http://guzziriders.org/carc-model-dash-misting-up_topic24.html

"GuzziTech Forums - Error. You must be logged in to do that."

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 23:15
I'm not a member eitherBig smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic