guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peak District Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 18:42
Aye I know I bought the first one in Northumbria.
GreenT View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 19:26
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

Nearly 5 dozen cameras there.

Are they necessary?

Riding all over Derbyshire regularly so that had me thinking so took a look.

Most are in 30/40 limits. less than five 50mph cameras are in areas unlikely to be visited in the Peaks. Staffordshire is a different story and easy to think you are in Derbyshire (Western peaks meet Staffs Moorland) The A515 - 50 mph sections are littered with em all the way from Lichfield to Leek. I also assume the famous Cat and Fiddle pass is classified in North Staffs / Chessire pehaps. (average speed controls)

One of my favourite circular routes roughly covers Longnor, Millers Dale, Tideswell, Bradwell, Brough, Hathersage, Grindleford, Froggat, Haasop, Bakewell, Moneyash. (usually by passing Bakewell itself but good if you are just visiting)

Its mainly a varied B road loop so good for lighter traffic although delivery vans seem to get everywhere at anytime nowadays. 

After Bradwell you could take a spur towards Hope, Castleton (take in Winnats Pass) and then Edale bringing you back into Hope. This ones best done on a sunny day.

The Roaches is worth a look between Buxton and Leek.

Do let us know how you get/got on and any intersting discoveries.

Cheers, Tony
Mike View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 19:46
A pleasant way to Holmfirth from the Peak District is via Glossop and over Holme Moss. Another spot not far from Holmfirth and worth a vist is Dove Stone. From Holmfirth going back, a good route is over the Strines to Ladybower. Whichever routes you choose,hope you have a great ride.
Jimble View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 11:51
Try Winnats Pass near Castleton, quite wild but short, don't expect anything like Honnister, head towards Mam Tor and maybe a pint at the Nags in Edale. There is a castle at Castleton, tho I've not visited it.
Matlock Bath is fun, gets very busy on Sundays, there is free parking, no ticket machines, for a couple of hours on the road. I've never seen the authorities enforce this at weekends because there are so many bikes coming and going it would be a nightmare. From there you could to Via Gellia  (A5012) via Cromford, best this way as its uphill, no cameras after Cromford until you get to the the A515 at the end which is popular with camera vans and leads to Buxton. Hope this helps.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 14:42
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

Nearly 5 dozen cameras there.

Are they necessary?

The powers that be must think so.

Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

Bring in lots of money no doubt.

Which if so then logically follows that lots of people are exceeding the limits. Hence the presence of the cameras. Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 21:52
Maybe because the speed limits imposed are much lower than they need be, in order to make money.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mick L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 09:43
50mph is plenty anywhere in the Peak District. It's not a race track, it's an area of outstanding beauty.

For me, tea at Hulme End station then take the back road to Wetton Mill for another cuppa, max speed about 20mph...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic