guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Alternative parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are these the correct Calipers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassy_iphone_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are these the correct Calipers?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 17:36
Hallo! 

Popped by the lovely baldricks today as my dear V50 II (jet) was not given the all clear on her MOT at Burwins.

Turns out that the caliper that is on it is wrong and the front break just doesn't have the breaking power required to pass. 

Looking to sort the caliper issue now and just wanted to sense check my buying choices in case I am getting the parts mixed. 

I need: 

Black PS 12 master cylinder (original round type). (http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?q=Front+Master+Cylinder&f=d&Model=13&search=SEARCH)

Brembo brake master cylinder overhaul kit for handlebar, undertank (cable operated) mounted and rear PS 12 master cylinders (http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?f=d&q=BRA14701)

and finally (because the lever is busted from a fall) a Black brake lever for PS12 (http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/index.php?f=d&q=BRA14605

Thats me sorted right? No other weird things I am missing out on?

Thanking the forum in advance :) 

italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 17:39
I used to go to Burwins for MOTs many years ago and in my experience, they were very picky about the weirdest things, so I went somewhere else (Motorcycle Service Centre, Harrow Road), and I had no problems.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 18:20
That list seems to check out, at first I was confused by the 'under tank cable' mention I hope it isn't that version, as it is notoriously unpopular?

But PS12 on their page is handlbar clamp mounted, so OK.

NB if you are buying a new PS12, then shouldn't need the overhaul kit, unless you want it as a spare. (?)

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
sassy_iphone_user View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassy_iphone_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 19:56
Hey Mike, 

hmmm, I hope it isn't that version either. Cool, will skip the overhaul kit. TBH I just clicked on all the things gutsi bits said I should buy :) 
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 19:56
NO , the caliper is fine , the master cylinder is wrong .
https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 20:47
Originally posted by italianmotor italianmotor wrote:

I used to go to Burwins for MOTs many years ago and in my experience, they were very picky about the weirdest things, so I went somewhere else (Motorcycle Service Centre, Harrow Road), and I had no problems.

I hate picky MOT testers but to be fair, a busted lever should get picked up if only for a quick return visit. Maybe a new lever would solve the braking power? Depends how much of it is broken off.
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassy_iphone_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 20:55
Sorry, I meant the master cylinder. Being a dope! So the master cylinder is a ps12 yes?
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassy_iphone_user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 20:57
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

Originally posted by italianmotor italianmotor wrote:

I hate picky MOT testers but to be fair, a busted lever should get picked up if only for a quick return visit. Maybe a new lever would solve the braking power? Depends how much of it is broken off.

TBF they were really nice. Only the nib had broken off. But I think that the cylinder is off, but said caliper because, well, tbh, I am completely new to bikes and got my wording wrong :/
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 22:02
The V50 II had the under tank master cylinder with the reservoir at the front of the fuel tank, is that what you have?
Many were changed for the later V50 III type which had the master cylinder and reservoir on the handlebar.
In my experience the front brake on those was always a bit weak, but the linked foot brake excellent.

I hope the tester wasn't failing it because it didn't reach the higher requirement for one braking system.
The actual MOT regulations require two systems on a bike, one being minimum 30%, the other 25%. It doesn't say which has to be the higher. But many traditional testers assume this refers to the front brake.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic