guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lemans 1 - a short story (honest)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:19
Looks great, good work, looks very original too.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 09:38
Smashin' job, recognise the gaffs and erm, get yourself a heater!!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 09:06
Great short story. I can relate to most of those gaffs! Well done for seeing it in the first 30 mins on eBay. It looks lovely now
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 06:49
LovelyWink
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 23:09
Well done. Thumbs Up

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 23:03
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Northy View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 21:38
Hi folks ,
Thought I’d tell you story (short one), this Hugo (reg number is HGO) well he’s had very quiet life,in fact only one owner, who was vicar !! So no Sunday runs for this bike,if fact its spend most of this life in damp garages. Its one of the last mark1 (series 2) and only 6600 miles on the clock.
The down side of doing nothing is that it just corrodes and so much so in 1995 it had to be “restored ” for which I've documented evidence with pictures and files(no invoices ?). I use the term restore but having seen all their work,it s more like a bodge artist and lets quickly tart it up on the kitchen table. There’s a long list of horrors I could talk about.

Anyway fast forward Nov 2016. Bike arrives and looking worse than the pictures. Yes a bit of an impulse buy,but thats Ebay for you ,it was listed for all of 30 minutes!   

Lots spraying with WD40 !

Within a day it was down to the frame,front bolt had to be drilled out ! loads of sheared nuts but were rusty anyway.
So over the next months, the bike was stripped totally, all the rubber bits, seals, bearings,New down pipes,fork legs,rear shocks etc etc
Suppose the good news was the engine was in very good condition considering the level of corrosion outside. Also provided proof it was only 6600 miles. That was the only good bit the rest was rusty as hell

Could bore you with details but thought you’d like known the gaffs I made (remember its was winter, it was cold in the garage and I’m not getting any younger)
Couldn’t understand why there was play in swing arm ……oh look two nicely grease up spacers on the bench .
Never fit replacement oil feeder pipe that thought was OK but in reality as just as old or older and the pipe taken off.At least it was very clean oil over the engine
Never forget that pumper carbs, pump petrol,so while rerouting/testing the carb cables you discover you got petrol on your nicely paint starter motor. grrrr
Never hang a freshly paint items from your open garages door to dry (as it out the way )as they fall on the floor when you close it . DOH   
When fitting fork fronts,Yokes, bars etc make sure you’ve got the fork dust covers on first.

Anyway 5 months later it’s all done apart one side panel badge (being painted up)and an MOT. Waiting for the tank paint to go off totally and some dryer weather.   

The end ………who am I kidding , need run it for at least 250miles then re-check everything.

But its one guzzi saved ....(and joins the other two guzzlers)

Edited by Northy - 23 Mar 2017 at 10:44
Guzzi nut
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic