guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Out and About > Guzzisti go touring
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Touring in France, particularly cities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 17:55
I think "Historic" vehicles are now exempt
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 20:08
In France there are strict limits on the use of a registered historic vehicle, and how you would get on with a Brit registered one, I don't know.
If in doubt, stay out.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 20:59
I have a Laverda riding friend in France who says I have nothing to worry about riding in France.But he doesn't explain why!!!

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 21:41
You won't have a problem anywhere in France unless you try to ride into the centre of one of those cities (and there are currently very few) on the specific day when they have controls in force.

Keep out of those specific areas and times and you certainly won't have any issues at all.
Brian.

professorjung View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote professorjung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:27
I ride my old Cali with Uk plates on an almost daily basis in Paris, and I've never had any problems... My mate gets everywhere on a 70s vespa on french plates and no troubles either. Parisians and parisian police are generally just ignoring this absurd law!

Paris is one of the most motorbike friendly major cities around IMO....
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 17:47
Well there ya go.

Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 18:44
Foreign registered vehicles aren't subject to the sticker rules 'till March 31st.

wotbus@ View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotbus@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 19:57
Pollution is everyone's responsibility, just as complying with the law
I have yet to see anything regarding bikes and the stickers. If I do, I will post.
Be aware of the new law as of 1 June with regard to the standard of m/c gloves which must satisfy the new criteria of protection.
There is another (EU) law which comes into force the same day with regard to the size of m/c rear number plates. The size is not too different than the old version but ...
I don't think for one minute that tourists will be singled out for controles but, like everywhere else in the world, lack of respect for those who implement the law may find themselves under closer scrutiny than normal.
Disregard for maximun speed limits is subject to a new assault on all road users this year so ride/drive accordingly. There are/will be many more "privatised, innocent looking cars equipped with camera's" . Fines will just arrive by post, merde :(
wotbus@ View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotbus@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 08:43
PS: The new reg plates must be fixed and not removable, that is rivets and not small bolts with nuts, so having mounted my replacements with bolts into the metal mounts provided, I now have to put a pop-rivet to comply
130€ not the correct size + 130€ if not fixed
This year it is also compulsory for all children under 12 I think, to wear a helmet when on a bicycle, whether solo or in a seat on the same bicycle as an adult. Not yet compulsory for adults but soon but wearing one makes sense IMO.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 09:46
French reg plates have always had to be fixed with rivets and in the UK we have always had a specific minimum size for said plates.
Brian.

wotbus@ View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotbus@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:01

You're right Brian. The bikers here are largely responsible for the crackdown as they make miniscule plates to fit the rear of their superbikes ;-)
The drag factor of the new size must worth be at least 2bhp but the aesthetics, Quel horreur

Old at the top, new size below.
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 13:19
That is ridiculous! The plates are the same apart from more white on the larger one. It seems someone has it in for motorcyclists.
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 13:32
I've got a proper size for the MOT and one for riding after the MOT on the NC30.

Had them for years.
wotbus@ View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotbus@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 13:57
Originally posted by jmee54 jmee54 wrote:

That is ridiculous! The plates are the same apart from more white on the larger one. It seems someone has it in for motorcyclists.

I agree . 16€ the new plate, 30mins get the holes right and mount, now another hole somewhere for a rivet. All for another 1cm of white reflecky stuff either side
wotbus@ View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wotbus@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 14:36
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

I've got a proper size for the MOT and one for riding after the MOT on the NC30.

Had them for years.

We don't have MoT's for motorcycles here, yet...but there is talk of it so it will happen soon. Not surprising really when I see the condition of the smaller things, scooters etc with high performance after-market "illegal" expansion chamber exhausts but hey, this is the country where you buy a small car you don't need a licence for when you lose the licence for the one you do so going with the flow is easy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic