guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will an early fuel tank fit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 19:08
A fellow member who lives very near by has very kindly offered me a lend of his 77 T3 tank to try on my existing Cali so that will answer most of the questions.Big smile
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Drumnagorrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 19:12
I don't think the loop framed bikes were Cali's .Eldorado maybe?
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 19:16
The very early Californias were indeed Loop Frames. [IMG]smileys/smiley4.gif" align="middle[/IMG]

Edited by Dave P. - 25 Jan 2017 at 19:29
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 19:24
Originally posted by Tarquin Tarquin wrote:

A fellow member who lives very near by has very kindly offered me a lend of his 77 T3 tank to try on my existing Cali so that will answer most of the questions.Big smile

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Drumnagorrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 20:53

Nice Smile
 Got me wondering if the T3 Cali seat would go over the 1100i ecu .
 If I could get that look I would be very happy .
 btw, the Guzzi that Bruce Springstein has ,and broke down recently , is a modern 1100 made to look like an Eldo and by a co. owned by Billy joel .
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 07:39
Originally posted by Drumnagorrach Drumnagorrach wrote:

Nice Smile
 btw, the Guzzi that Bruce Springstein has ,and broke down recently , is a modern 1100 made to look like an Eldo and by a co. owned by Billy joel .

A T3 seat would look lovely!

I'm reasonably certain that this T3 tank that I am being kindly loaned will not be far off fitting and I have also made contact with a member selling one so if it all looks feasible I then just need to locate a cosmetically challenged donor bike.
I will have stainless mudguards and seat to source as well so no rush.Big smile

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 14:43

I got my Mrs to modify a police seat to suit my Convert's new look. When I have finished my Ambassador I might update it again.
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 08:07
That looks great!Thumbs Up

Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 08:16
Well I tried the borrowed T3 tank on my Cali 1100i yesterday and am now certain that if the entire air box was removed then the tank will fit without much effort. Steel front tank mounts would need  to be fabricated to fit onto the headstock of the donor bike ( as per T3 ) but I know a lad in a shed who may be able to help me out with those.Wink

I am hoping to buy the T3 tank that Doug  is selling on the forum so I now need to find a Cosmetically challenged Cali to modify.

If anyone knows of one please PM me.Big smile

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 08:29
Re: Cali's for sale - there was a UK-based chap posting in the Facebook MGNOC Group just a few days back, if you're on Facebook, and signed up to that group.  Bugger all in the way of details, location, anticipated price, etc. but it might just be a lead....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/328264358708/permalink/10155706709703709/
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 09:23
Thanks Barry.Wink

Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 15:44
Originally posted by Drumnagorrach Drumnagorrach wrote:

Nice Smile

Here is Springsteen's bike and to my mind it looks great.

This gives me heart as it is definitely a Fuel Injected Cali made to look older which is along the lines of what I am hoping to achieve.Big smile

Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 16:06
I think Guzzi should take a look at Bruce's bike.The Eldorado (lookalike?)tank looks fab and the Craven panniers fit well with the overall appearance
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
IanB View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 16:52
It looks like a modified Cali Vintage.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 17:03
Mmmm!

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic