guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > General Electrical issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

95 California won't start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 California won't start
    Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 19:13
1995 1100i.Recently did long spin,200 plus miles,ran sweet.Following day misfire in right hand cylinder and ran on one pot for about 50 miles.Explosive misfires constantly and strong smell of unburned petrol.Guys with more savvy than me changed over plug leads to opposite cylinders.Ran good with occasional light misfire.Then 200 miles plus home,ran sweet.
Has not started since.Fuses in array look good.Fitted strong battery,starter cranking well.Occasional popping from pipes but won't fire.
Are the plug leads to coil push to fit? Might replace same.Coils show signs of having been changed recently,bae 850 ak,these on Ducati site new for 35 Euro each, might buy just in case.
Presume same coils for Ducati/Guzzi same, both bae 850 ak..?
Any advice gratefully received.Not technically or mechanically gifted,but kind to animals....
jog53
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 22:01
Are you actually getting sparks at the plugs?
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 23:15
If the relays are Siemens dump them asap. I had a variety of running probs with my 00i until I got rid then I probs
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 07:46
Thanks lads.Will check for spark and change relays.Jim Mac...any specific manufacturer of relays in mind? Can't understand why it ran so nicely when leads were swopped then nada....don't like cruisers and was warned bout Guzzi electrics but I'm going to stick with it cos the motor,when it runs,is sweeet....and I need something to pull the chair...
jog53
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 09:59
There are many old wives' tales about Guzzi electrics. In practice they are no worse than many others. Most parts are shared with other makes too.
The one thing I would suggest is that you get a can of electrical contact cleaner and lubricant, sold by places like Maplin. Servisol is one.
Spray this into every switch and connector you can find, it will help stop the little green gremlins getting in there. Ideally pull the connectors apart to do it and operate the switches several times too.

Once you know if there is a spark at both plugs we can suggest more, but it is down to eliminating items as we go.
There is a guy in the States known as Pyro Dan who sells good relays, usually at better prices than we pay in the UK including postage. The ones you need are the Micro relays.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:15
I'm confused.Being a points and carb's man I don't know anything about ECU's and the like but I can't understand how the bike ran better with the HT leads swapped to the opposite cylinders.Does that not upset the timing?
Educate me please.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:58
Like others I got the pyro Dan ones. He posts out quick and they are high quality compared to the Siemens rubbish which were notorious for causing all sorts of bother. Even if they are not the cause of your problems they are best done away with before they cause some.
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Drumnagorrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 16:02
Coils aren't the whole story on the 1100i ,there are a pair of modules under the n/s side panel,check for corrosion and damp ,they are very well made and waterproofed connectors ,but worth checking . As mentioned earlier ,the Guzzi electrics on a 95 Cali are as good as any jap and a whole lot better than on my 2006 Yamaha Xt600. 
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 17:33
Thanks again lads for your help/suggestions and I will act on them one by one.The point made by Dave P is exactly what I was trying to make.I don't get it either...Guzzi is a rare beast in Ireland and no place open for bits until New Year...are the HT lines to the coils push to fit? I'm going to replace them just in case...don't want to wreck the female end at the coil tho....Have been liberal with wd40 on connections I can get at....
jog53
jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 17:35
Will check for sparks when I'm allowed out of the house....
jog53
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 18:33
Originally posted by Dave P. Dave P. wrote:

I'm confused.Being a points and carb's man I don't know anything about ECU's and the like but I can't understand how the bike ran better with the HT leads swapped to the opposite cylinders.Does that not upset the timing?
Educate me please.

Very possible if it's a wasted spark system, i.e. both plugs are fired simultaneously. Otherwise, he could mean HT leads are swapped over entirely, plus also their coil HT caps, or the coils' primary connections.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Drumnagorrach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumnagorrach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 19:00
Originally posted by jog53 jog53 wrote:

Thanks again lads for your help/suggestions and I will act on them one by one.The point made by Dave P is exactly what I was trying to make.I don't get it either...Guzzi is a rare beast in Ireland and no place open for bits until New Year...are the HT lines to the coils push to fit? I'm going to replace them just in case...don't want to wreck the female end at the coil tho....Have been liberal with wd40 on connections I can get at....

My 95 1100i has push in coil connection on the HT leads ,awkward to get at , I took the tank off ,undid the, two each side, cap screws visible going through the coil and took off the coils ,don't worry about the nuts on the inside ,they are welded to the bracket and wont drop off .
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 19:02
I assumed that the leads had just been switched or that was what jog53 thought.Wasted spark......I'd forgotten all about that. I guess that would work.What about earth(s)from the ignition amplifier??

jog53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 19:24
Yes a straight swop left hand plug cap to right hand cylinder and vice versa.Coil hts not touched.Seemed to indicate coils functioning to me...then thought some type of damage to ht lead itself temporarily fixed due to it being flexed in opp direction then failed again due to vibration/stress....of course this reasoning coming from someone who had to ask about handlebar adjustment....
jog53
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 20:12
Well, that confirms that there is a wasted spark system.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic