guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LM-II Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 17:55
Originally front indicators screwed onto the ends of a long tube that was mounted across the frame to the down tubes under the tank I believe. Will be bolt holes in a gusset on the frame below the steering head for the purpose.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 19:40
So are those the 38mm Marzocchis in their final resting place then? They do stick out above the top yoke a bit don't they? Mine are not so far off those - maybe they don't need trimming down after all.

Originally posted by DrD DrD wrote:

Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 20:05
There will be fine-tuning of the stickie-out length when its up and about; at current length it will sit on the front wheel and centre stand with the rear wheel a cm or two above the ground.
That is where I had it originally with the 35mm forks.

The indicators are going to be clamped onto the forks below the clip-ons and above the headlight bracket
- just need to decide on what sort of clamp (I have 38mm P Clips arriving so that is my £4.00 option!)
Dont like the LM bracket and anyway it would interfere with steering damper (which I might not need)
Le Mans thing (plus other stuff)
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 20:25
This evening saw the new brake switch and right hand cluster electrics sorted.
Left hand cluster also done.
Fairing stays now black enamel and less obtrusive. Very handy as loom connector fixings too.

Instrument panel on but temporary until indicator brackets sorted, then final wiring and front end done bar minor tuning of fork length.

What you cannot see is the soft rubber buffer on the front of the instrument cluster so the fairing is not buffeted against it.
Friend had his Le Man (original 1976) rebuilt and within 5 miles fairing screen damaged by buffeting on standard instrument cluster - I have that oil gauge on mine so it protrudes more. Hopefully a similar issue will not now occur.

DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 23:00
So I had a tidy up and clean after bleeding the brakes and ensuring the front callipers were correctly shimmed which meant moving the bike.
Not looking bad even though front mudguard, indicators, mirrors and fork brace yet to be fitted.
Probably leave the fairing black for the time being:

Got to improve the throttle cable route too.

dan_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 05:52
If you fix the fairing and screen with elastic nuts it will prevent cracking of the formers, same goes with the licence plate. With a rubber buffer on top of the instrument panel there will be some scuffing of the screen but a least in won't scratch. You can't stoop so low as to see through a LM screen anyway.
A sorted LM doesn't need a steering damper at any speed, I like the LM1/V7 damper for the looks of it, but that's just me.
Keep posting
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 08:08
Thanks for the hints about the plastic bolts
 - I have used neoprene washers all through the fairing and screen fixings for the same reason
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 09:03
Originally posted by dan_s dan_s wrote:

A sorted LM doesn't need a steering damper at any speed

Agreed, my LM2 (with LM fairing like this one) has the standard LM2 frame to fork damper but having inspected it closely I really don't think it does much damping?

It makes the steering a little stiffer but I don't think it would do much in a full-on tank slapper? Fortunately the bike is very stable at the front end so unlikely to be put to the test anyway.

Nice bike/build though and very much along the lines of my own; not trying to fool anyone as to what it is, just prefer the small fairing and, of course can all be put it all back to original if required. Thumbs Up  
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
kateguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 09:34
'You can't stoop so low as to see through a LM screen anyway'......
Ha.....theres a particularly long straight on a road of requirement in deepest Shropshire where I do this on my MK1....tis usually followed by the smell of petrol cos my chin has opened the cap....
Moto Guzzi Club GB.....
850 LE MANS...1 & 2....V7 Loop Frame..V7 Sport replica...Guzzi Daytona...Ducati 900ss Bevel not belt.....Laverda 3C ....and an MZ...
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:05

And but of course...

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 12:35
now thats the look of a bike that wants to be ridden ,my kind of bikeThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 22:03
And it turns out that 38mm Mikalor lined marine grade stainless steel Pclips (at £4.50 a pair) can act as very useful and discreet indicator brackets that clamp onto the forks below the clipons and above the headlight bracket!

DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 17:49
This afternoon's little job was remove, dismantle, clean and reassemble the starter motor and its host solenoid.
Quite filthy in there.....
As the solenoid activated plunger was a little worn on one side, I did the 'classic Alfa' trick of rotating it by 180 degrees.
Back on and turns motor over with better engagement than before.
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 08:40
Spent a couple of evenings putting the instrument cluster and all that wiring in place (carefully). The fairing stays do indeed act as mount points for the Molex connectors.
Had some alloy top-hat washers made for the headlight brackets (M10 holes, M8 headlight bolts).
Waiting on a Tarozzi fork brace and the front end, bar final bolt and nut checks, is back together.

DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 19:41
Lack of use and checking out electric circuits has seen the MotoBlatt discharge.
Left it to charge up and not enough grunt to power the starter beyond one cycle.
Jump start pack turns the bike over (and starts it), so ponder time on whether to get another AGM battery or the lawnmower (895) option.
I am also not impressed with the near cheese quality of the MotoBlatt terminal threads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic