guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LM-II Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LM-II Project
    Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 13:53
I have all sorts of posts scattered around the place about this bike.
So while its in pieces (again), I thought why not do a recommission thread.

So to start, here is the bike as I bought it in September 2015:

Just had its first MOT put on since 1998.
Visually tatty in places due to a low speed scrape but 100% complete with boxes of spares.
Bargain at the price but those years of non-use would reveal all sorts over the next few months.
At least I could ride it home the 10 miles which I did with a few rumbles, vibrations and heavy misfires.
Le Mans thing (plus other stuff)
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 14:02
Once home, stripped and carefully boxed all the fairings (and fitments) for future restoration (...some day....).
Went through all the electrics, checking connections and new oils and ht/plugs.
Frame cleaned of corrosion and enamelled in places.
And so looking like this within 4 hours of arrival:

DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 14:07
By the following day it was ready to ride in guise no2.
now looking cleaner and misfire finally diagnosed due to failing HT lead/coil attachment

Now I proceeded to put a few hundred miles on it with only a few minor issues
- quickly found out why there is a U-bend in gearbox oil breather pipe etc.

DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 14:23
Realised at this point that the mirrors on the fairing were useless and more importantly nasty vibration through the transmission.
This lead to rear wheel and swing arm off.
This was greeted with a pool of red oil and water with lots of shiny metal needles falling out the swing arm!
So new U/J and bearing and swing arm bearings in.
Rebuilt forks while at it
 - the inner damper units were not actually connected to folk stanchions as a circlip had been reused and out of shape!

Added some Agostini rear sets to suit my lankier build and did something with led indicators and temporary small fairing.
By now my account with GutsiBits was starting to be heavily used!

DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 14:31
There was an issue with the Agostini Rearsets as the brake pedal linkage to the master cylinder fouled the frame so that was put on hold.
Anyways, managed to get it back together and made use of the good autumn weather to put a few more hundred miles on it running around Yorkshire over wolds and dales.

It was still a pain to start with the Piranha ignition which I could not get timed accurately.

Edited by DrD - 01 Oct 2016 at 15:34
Raeburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raeburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 14:32
Have you a pic of the Agostini rear sets?
T3 LM2
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 14:47
Eventually the ignition problem came to a head in the last month of 2015 about the time I started this puzzle:

Eventually one of the ignition black boxes failed so after deciding against another distributor based electronic ignition (and deciding against a Silent Hektik system on too expensive this early in the bike fettle), points and condensers plus new coils were fitted.
At the same time I decided to add a beefier battery base plate, add a front to the battery holder and tidy the electrics around the sidepanel as there was now space to the rear of the battery.
So that went from this:

to this:

Halfords provided the upgraded large battery cables for earths and starter.
The click-no start relay mod saw it start every time (once timing sorted and points plate modded to get perfect timing on both points).
Electrics with new LED idiot lights worked (once I added diodes and resistor to charge light).
Reworked the brake pedal attachment and agostini rearsets fitted
Even brought it inside to check and clean when too cold in the garage:

The mirrors are now bar ends but moved to fit existing mirror mount points.
And so it ran (with a further oils and filter change) up to quite recently.
A hot start issue in very warm weather the only thing outstanding...

Edited by DrD - 01 Oct 2016 at 15:50
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 14:53
So now into September 2016 and over 1000 miles covered when these arrived:

These are part of a deal I did for sorting out an issue on a V6 Brera.
They is 38mm Marzocchis (with Tommaselli clipons).
And that is nearly where we are today.
These have come off (and going to be cleaned and boxed):

DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 15:26
So these arrived a week ago:

And these are 100% complete and off now

To leave these parts (plus the bits I am now waiting for)

To go on this as it looks from this morning's actions.

Once the parts are received it needs dismantling to be correctly put it together with satin black enamel in a few places. Plus a LM1 Tarozzi Fork Brace, the LMII centre piece is too long.

For now it all kind-of fits as a loosely bolted mock up which is why those alloy brackets on the fairing are yet to be finished!
The headlight and the alloy headlight brackets were bought from ClassicBikes for less than the price of a pair of LM headlight brackets.
Yet to figure exactly where the front LED indicators are going but most likely directly onto the fairing.

Then another oil change and timing chest exploration (I already have extracted the front engine bolt - only took six months of fluids and riding heat cycles!). There is a rubbing sound from there which ought to be investigated.

By spring, it will not look like a "LM-II made to look like a LM".
More like a stripped back LM-II with a suspension upgrade with a LM fairing (which is what I want).
Whether I will drag the LM-II fairings out of hibernation to restore is left for me to forget.
Irrespective of that I will have the LM I want with the option to put it back to completely standard if I ever remember that is an option.

Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 15:37
Great write up DD.

I'd struggle with anything electrical so well done for bringing a negelected shed wreck into life.

In the scheme of things its not important to have yet another clone pristine 70s guzzi knocking around, rather a useable bike that you as the owner are happy with. Good on you.

1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 15:38
Originally posted by Raeburn Raeburn wrote:

Have you a pic of the Agostini rear sets?

Yes they look like this:

Mine have passenger footrests too (as seen in later posts)
This is where I had the issue

Raeburn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raeburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 15:59
Thanks, will they cure my 6'1" problem?
T3 LM2
DrD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 16:19
Originally posted by Raeburn Raeburn wrote:

Thanks, will they cure my 6'1" problem?

They move the footrests up and back slightly - helps with my 6' fitting
- major gain is the gear change is far more positive
Adjustable clip-ons (i now have Tommaselli such) is final part of the fitting
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 18:56
Nice.Thumbs Up

As for the rearsets, I looked at the Agostini which are very nice but bought the Tarozzi because they were easily adaptable to reversing the shift pattern (that I wanted to do) but I understand the Ago's give a much smoother gear shift action.

I find the Tarozzi more cramped than the OE pegs though as they are much higher. I'm considering a higher seat to help with my knee-angle issue.

As for ignition, the original points setup seems fine to me. Maybe more maintenance required but for a low-mileage rider who will check it every year regardless of miles I'm happy with it so far. 
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 18:57
Yeah, good stuff - I have used Agostinis on my S3 for 20 odd years and could never go back, they work so well, and they crash well, unlike Tarozzis etc. I have a spare set to go on my Le mans 2 special when it gets bult.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic