guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tubed to Tubeless Tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 20:26
I used to run my lemans 2 with tubeless tyres, on the original rims, the only difference in the rims is a slight bead that makes the tyres difficult to run off the rim if pressures are real low, but using the tube rim tubeless is no worse than it would be with a tube,
I have mentioned this in the past, and was informed that the great Lino Tonti personally designed the wheels and to go against him, nuns, kittens and everyone else would die,

I still used them for many thousands of miles, and figured that as you can't buy tubeless tyres and you shouldn't use tubeless tyres with tubes, that the insurance question is a misnomer,

I generally carry a tin of tyreseal, for punctures in tubed tyres the type that blows up the tyre, it's worked a couple of times in the past ten years, then once home, I replace the tube

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 01:52
Is this Comma Tyre Seal,  as opposed to brand name "Tyreseal" (Tyreseal Ltd) which appears to be a puncture prevention 'gloop' type treatment. (?)

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 02:03
Or, Holt's Tyre Weld...

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 10:40
There are two basic types surely? The gloop stuff which you put in the tube/tyre which remains there and if a puncture occurs, it hardens in the hole and seals the tyre. The other type is the foam you put into a punctured tyre to inflate it and seal.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 15:36
Sorry all it was, I was a bit confused re the actual name cos how he phrases it, interpret as, the emergency roadside repair foam self-inflate squirt it in can type, but when I Googled "tyreseal" I got the other type, and the manufacturer who makes it (Tyreseal Ltd). And that's the only type they seem to make.

Just me being pedantic Big smile

guzzipaulv View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzzipaulv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2017 at 20:50
I have a California Vintage and after getting a puncture from a large nail decided to convert to tubeless.
First thoroughly clean and dry rim useing solvent, apply industrial grade silicon sealant rtv over spoke nuts, apply gorilla tape or similar over silicone before it is fully set. Fit valve making sure it is tight.
Lightly sand inside rim. refit tyre.
This method has worked on my Nevada as well.
No leaks for three years.
Do not jet wash wheels.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 14:15
I did something similar to my Hinckley Tiger 955 (alloy rims, spoked wheels) as I'd had a terrifying experience some years previously on a Norton Commando when a huge screw went through the back tyre when I was doing around 60. More by luck than riding skill, I managed to get into a layby without dropping the bike. A following rider reckoned I was taking up both lanes of the dual carriageway as I tried to wrestle it to a halt.

After lots of research I ended up using an aircraft fuel tank sealer (Which IIRC was Bostik 2402). I managed to scrounge some from a local company as it was about to go out of date.

I did a good 15,000 miles on the tubeless conversion with no problems at all despite many people telling me I was being suicidal. My rationale was that a tube does nothing at all to hold the tyre on the rim when deflated, and that a tubeless tyre is much less likely to suffer catastrophic deflation.

Some stuff in this thread: http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-workshop-archive/46888-what-i-did-on-my-holidays-spoke-sealing.html

I don't think you can see the pics......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 15:33
Tubeless Rims are a slightly different shape to Tubed versions, which may mean you don't get the full benefit of Tyre Bead retention at low/zero pressures.
What I think is more important however, is the slow deflation rate you get with a Tubeless Tyre, with most punctures.
Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 16:18
Both true I think.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 17:27
What I was told is (because I wanted to change to tubeless), can only have a tubeless tyre IF the rim is designed for it, else must use an inner tube. There is also an insurance issue. E.g. Police do an inspection of your vehicle after an accident and find it has tubeless tyres on non-tubeless compatible rims.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:28
The Tiger I mentioned came with tubeless tyres with tubes in them from new. Tubed tyres just weren't available in the required sizes.

With regard to the insurance issue, as I understand it there needs to be some sort of proof that any modification actually contributed to a crash. I'd be interested to hear of any documented instance of this not being the case.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:18
If this was a factory fitting then I don't see how it could be an insurance issue. However, an accident resulting from the owner deviating from the approved factory specification would be an ideal opportunity for an insurer to consider that the modification may have contributed to the accident. And we all know how eager insurers are to pay out.

After an expensive puncture I changed the spoked wheels of my V7 to MG cast so I could use tubeless tyres and I've informed my insurer of this as a precaution. Their reply was in the event of an accident they would only replace the wheels with origonal spoked ones. If the wheels had been that damaged I suspect the type of replacement wheel would be the least of my worries.

Edited by BobV7 - 03 Aug 2017 at 11:34
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Dodge View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:34
I use a "track pump" designed for bicycles. Not expensive, accurate gauge, works up to 140psi. And you get some exercise using it!

Less than £15 at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-track-pump/

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 13:24
This thread prompts me to ask whether the standard fitment tyres on V50s are tubed or tubeless?
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 17:10
Standard on a V50 is tubed.

However there would be no problem using a tubeless tyre with a tube.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic