guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tubed to Tubeless Tyres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 18:18
My 750T which apparently has the same frame as the V50, has tubeless tyres and seems fine.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 22:52
Same frame but later wheels. Guzzi went over to tubeless rims during the late 80s.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 07:54
Originally posted by BobV7 BobV7 wrote:

After an expensive puncture I changed the spoked wheels of my V7 to MG cast so I could use tubeless tyres and I've informed my insurer of this as a precaution.

I did wonder when I saw the picture of your V7 what sort if hybrid you had created! One of the reasons I chose my V7ii Stone was the cast wheels - low maintenance and easier to clean. I have booked a test ride of the V7 iii classic next week. I don't fancy the new Stone as much. Trouble is, that comes with the spoked wheels 😕 where did you obtain your cast wheels from Bob? I think if I choose the black colour, the existing Stone wheels would maybe fit? Maybe the dealer could swap the wheels and tyres if I buy the mkiii. Anyway, all hypothetical at the moment because unless it is streets ahead of the V7 ii, I won't be changing it!
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 08:14
After having a puncture that cost me half a day and over £130 to get the bike recovered I bit the bullet and ordered the wheels from Corsa Italiana. It was an expensive exercise involving new tyres as well, but an easy job to do only needing the discs swapped over. Sold the old ones to another Guzzi owner who got one hell of a bargin, but at least now I hope to be able to fix a puncture at the road side.
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 21:27
Bob, I test rode a v7iii special today- it has tubeless spoked rims. Still prefer the cast rims myself though.
swede View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 18:18
I am just finishing an o/haul, on my Guzzi Lm 2 and think I may do a little investigating on fitting tubeless tyres. Previously I ran tubeless with tubes and put a shaped washer and 'o' ring on the valve where it protrudes from the rim. This I found, quite by chance, holds the air in the tyre should the tube suddenly deflate and so, stops the air escaping rapidly through the valve hole and avoids a rapid deflation (as long as the object which caused the problem, stayed in the tyre). I did run a spate of punctures at one time and, with all of them, I managed to stop safely as I detected a fault in time. I will still look into 'no tubes' though!   Can't wait to get the Guzzi out in the spring, Ive done 154,000 on it so far!
swede in the shed
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 06:19
Originally posted by swede swede wrote:

Can't wait to get the Guzzi out in the spring, Ive done 154,000 on it so far!

It will probably be okay when you have finished running it in then
swede View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 00:21
Yes, just have to keep control of my right hand! I don't intend to ride it as hard as I did, just a pleasure bike now: but Iv'e started out with those good intentions before-----Evil Smile  I'm off to the 'old' elephant rally in February, but that will on the Honda. The Guzzi has done it (Nurburgring, Salzburgring and Solla) about 15 times but I'm not taking it on the salted German roads after all my work!
swede in the shed
Exmoorbeast View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exmoorbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 19:39
Firstly, spoked wheels have a rim tape (instead of sealant or insulating tape )to allow water that has enters the wheel via the spokes to disperse and dry out. In my many years in the motorcycle trade every wheel that we had with insulating/gaff a tape the nipple/spoke end/rim were always rusty. Now if you have sealed this area you will not know if it is corroded , not good. Secondly, I have seen some stupid bodges in my time but never a home made tubeless wheel- do you think Honda & BMW would have gone to the trouble of designing the tubeless spoked wheel when they could have used tape and sealant? Don't do it.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:44
Thank you for the gratuitous insult.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exmoorbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 11:27
I apologise if you feel insulted but I am only expressing my fear for others safety. I was an Motorcycle MOT inspector for 20 years and have been trained by Honda, BMW, Kawasaki and Triumph. I have also had an experimental racing wheel fail on a customers ZZR1100 only minutes after I had been riding it. If my views are any different from any tyre,wheel or motorcycle manafacturer , then I apologise for being forthright with my opinion.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 12:09
The term I was objecting to was "stupid bodges" which I took to referring to my spoked wheel conversion. Maybe that's not what you meant. And, with all due respect, a mealy mouthed apology "if I feel insulted" is just as insulting.

The wheels I converted were on a Triumph Tiger 955i which had aluminium alloy rims and stainless spokes and nipples so any chance of corrosion was minimal. The sealant I used was aircraft standard used for sealing fuel tanks and was in fact the same as used by a USA workshop which carries out a similar conversion (and charges a significant amount for it). The sealant was approved by the manufacturer and supplier for use on the materials.

The modification was perfect for 8 years (including 2 rear tyre changes and one front) until I sold the bike (with of course full information for the next owner). I know that others have done similar conversions and have not heard of any problems.

FWIW, I've been riding for 50 years and have experienced several punctures with tubed tyres, some of which have been hair raising. I am also a professionally qualified mechanical engineer  but accept I have not worked in the trade - although given the total lack of expertise displayed by the workshop staff at the dealer from which I bought the Tiger, I'm not sure how much of a qualification this is.

My objectives were to minimise the risk of sudden catastrophic deflation which is what happens with a tubed tyre when the tube is ripped, which often happens when the tyre is penetrated. The worst that would happen with the sealant would be a slow loss of pressure. I monitored it closely for the first couple of years, then less often when I discovered that the only loss of pressure was from applying the pressure gauge.

Some people suggested to me that the tyre was more likely to be separated from the rim if it did lose pressure suddenly. For the life of me, I cannot see how an inner tube can do anything to prevent this so a tubeless conversion cannot be worse than a tubed tyre from this point of view. And as I say is much less likely to suffer this catastrophic deflation in the first place.

I would of course not attempt such a mod with the type of rim I have on my Norton or Ariel as they are of completely different construction. And I have never suggested anyone else carry out this mod - merely reporting my own experiences.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exmoorbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 13:00
I apologise unreservedly , the last thing I wanted to do was upset you, my use of the word stupid was wrong and I have never be called mealy mouthed in all my life, far from it! Whilst you may feel confident in your skills putting the idea into others heads that may not be as competent is my concern. I hope you can see why I have this opinion, I have seen catastrophic failure of so many modified handlebars, forks, frames and wheels that were made , like my comments, with the best intentions.
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 13:23
Apology accepted!

Yes, perhaps I may sometimes assume that others have similar experience to myself. And in my youth I'm sure I did some stupid things!

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exmoorbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 13:33
Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic