guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cali 1100i clutch replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cali 1100i clutch replacement
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 09:30
Hi guys , thinking of replacing the clutch on my cali this winter , release bearing making a noise.
Anyone got a link with instructions on how to get the box out ?
cheers
Richie
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 17:58
The release bearing is in the back cover of the box, You can remove it without touching the gearbox
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 18:03
Wot he said ~ what's the noise sound like tho? Presume only when you pull the lever?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Don-Spada View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don-Spada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 18:24
If you do go for replacing the clutch itself, the process is known as "Crabbing the Frame"  There are many guides on how to do it on the net.
Here's one:-
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzitech.dk/pdf/access-gearbox-clutch-big-twin-en-2004-07-04.pdf

1978 Guzzi Spada
1965 Guzzi Stornello
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 18:48
Details on crabbing the frame are in out own FAQ section.
Brian.

richiedan40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:43
Good to hear from you lads.
Yes , when I pull the lever , it don't sound to good. How do I get at it without removing the box ?
The clutch itself is good.
Regards
Richie D
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 11:26
Look at the back of the gearbox. You will see the clutch actuating arm, and just by the pivot you will see the actual push rod. The release bearing is just in the back cover, removed fro the outside.
You will probably have to remove the swinging arm, then knock out the pivot pin (very carefully). Worth spraying some penetrating oil round that pivot first, they have been known to seize in and break the casting when knocked out to energetically.
Brian.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 13:27
Remember the clutch IS a dry clutch they do make noise when you pull the lever in get to a Guzzi dealer or someone who knows their bikes to listen before you go to the grief of replacing a clutch.
The clutch usually shows it needs replacing by slipping usually in top as you go up a long hill

That said to get at the thrust bearing:-
Take out rear wheel
undo swing arm at frame pull out the pins
undo the rear suspension and 4 nuts that hold bevel box (It is easier to take off bevel box)
take out swing arm it needs a bit of jiggling to get it out NB undo jubilee clips on rubber boot where shaft goes into gearbox ...forget that and you will be tugging at the swingarm and cussing. Guess how I know!!!
Now you can see the clutch operating arm at the rear of the gear box.
What I do is use the lever from a car jack to move clutch arm in so I can pop off the cable nipple braced against a thin bit of wood so not to nick the frame it works a treat,
Now clutch arm is free it will pull back REAL good idea to make sure the pin can be freed take it out copper grease it ...DO NOT loose the spring, then the thrust bearings can be gently pulled out, NOTE the washers each side these are hardened DO NOT LOOSE THEM ...while you are in there pull the rod out, replace the cone seals, some have a series of O rings to seal replace , add new bearings grease well with hi temp grease reassemble

The Haynes manual is well worth getting they come up on e-bay but Haynes do give discounts to forum and club members on new ones

NOW before you get into all that make real sure it is not just the normal clutch noises you can hear !!!!
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
richiedan40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 14:23
Great stuff ! I,m pretty sure it is the bearing because its got noisy over a few months now, she,s running fantastic at the moment , rode all the way to s wales , 178 mile , for the armed forces bikers bash and she never missed a beat.....whilst my mates Honda cbf blew its alternator.
So , I,m going to fix this in winter and do some other tidying up whilst I,m at it. 3 weeks ago I rebuilt the forks , new seals , clean up and oil.....inserts were ok. polished them with a buffer and they look stunning.
also polished the rocker covers , top yoke and both wheels........like a big kid with my recently purchased metal polishing kit !
any how , many thanks Brian and Ken.
regards
Richie D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic