guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > CARC models
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breva Norge Fuel connector repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breva Norge Fuel connector repair
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 09:21
Found this blog this morning
Some good info on fuel tank connector repair as well as other stuff

BMW 1200RTLC carbon BLack SOLD….
Breva 1100 2005 in Black SOLD.....
St George's Telford Shropshire.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 12:45
i added a quick disconnect - after i broke the so called quick disconnect originally fitted - broke it at the elbow on the fuel pump cover.

it is not too difficult to the old broken part and replace it it with an new elbow from Gutsibits.

now i leave the connect at the pump alone and use the one i added six inches down the line.
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Wits View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 16:10
Can you tell me which quick connect   you used, most I have found say not for use with fuel injection
Cheers Jamie
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 16:49
You would have to adapt what that bog says, it's in American. Here in the UK you would have to find a BSP fitting about the right size. BSP fitting are used all over Europe.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 16:49
I tried to fit one of those quick disconnects to my fuel line and cocked it up entirely! Forgot I was dealing with a pumped system and ended up having to fit all new fuel lines using the appropriate pressure rated hose. Mine do look quite a bit heavier duty than the ones in the article but they must know what they're doing. Needed Baldrick's help to get me out of the mess I'd made of the fuel lines so be advised it's not as easy as it first appears!
V7 Classic Black and gold was the best. But green & black was nice too. Now blue is in!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 17:14
I think it's a mistake to assume that someone who writes a blog "must know what they're doing".
Brian.

Wits View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 00:27
Just checked the sizes on the blog, would work in bsp.
Need to covert to English terms.
3/8 to 1/4 bsp bush.
1/4 bsp male to female elbow
1/4 bsp pipe tail
3/8b tap and correct size drill .
The spigot is available from gutzbits in the UK.
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 17:21
Just an update link direct to "The Adventures of Replacing a Moto Guzzi Oil Pressure Switch - Finale":

Includes Fuel Connector. I might be needing that info soon.
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
E-Plus 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike 2018 :p
Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS 2019
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 20:38
The main update to that blog is that the fuel tank fitting is now available as a seperate part. Gutsibits stock it, and it is also a standard Ford part which mey well be even cheaper.
Brian.

guzzigraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guzzigraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 13:11
As Brian says, the original red tank connection spigot part is available from Gutisbits and is a quick / cheap way to repair and stay standard.

For those fed up with the original connector not playing ball, (as I was) there are alternatives from CPC (I bought via the Tom Parker website). At least a couple of us without a broken connector have left in the original in place, cut the fuel pipe further away from the tank and added a couple of CPC fittings.

I think they also supply spigot type connectors but I am not certain whether they fit the threaded hole that the original red spigot is in. I was going to look at this in case it was an easy replacement (similar to an approach I took to fix a Triumph 955i once). I haven't checked for a Guzzi so can't advise. I'd be tempted to try it if I was doing it again.

I went posh and bought the chrome plated brass fittings although plastic ones seem to be available. Trick is to make sure you buy the versions with the internal cut-off valves and (petrol proof) viton O-rings fitted. On the Tom Parker site the cut-off valves are mentioned in the description and viton seals are denoted by a "V" in the part number.

Some more discussion here:
http://www.guzziriders.org/topic7449_post100675.html#100675

... and towards the end of my post if you search for "V1200 Sport - tank leaking"

Edited by guzzigraham - 08 Apr 2019 at 13:24
'68 V7 700 - March 2023
Coburn and Hughes Le Mans II - March 2022
Nuovo Falcone - May 2020 to June 2023
1200 2v Sport - 2016 to Feb 2022
T3 California - long gone

'78 Z1000 been in bits for a while
Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 14:25
After I broke mine (what a dumb design!), I just fitted a longer section of Hose, without any sort of QD Fitting.
Now I can lift the Tank, and hang it from the Garage Ceiling so it's out of the way of whatever I'm doing underneath.

Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
Tris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 07:58
When first started to wrestle with the connector on my Breva 1100 I did a bunch of reading and the key thing I discovered is these are really quick CONNECT couplings rather than DIS-connect designed to make things cheaper for the auto boys

Still I find that the green one of these makes life easier:-
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 - sold
1994 California - sold
Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 12:56
You also need to dump the pressure in the Hoses before disconnecting.

I just feel it's an over-complicated design, could be much simpler.
Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
borderer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 20:32
I keep intending to put this here. Vaseline is your friend!!
smear the tangs of the connector before reassembly and they come apart easily next time you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic