guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

850-T cafe project build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 22:43
Ok mate thanks for the info.

Must admit to liking the leccy stuff i put on my G5 from Saches, so maybe look at that option as well, but just stick with 36 carbs and open up the ports. 

Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 17:03
Hi, all.  Update to the update.
First re-start of the 850 since frame off disassembly and resto.  Still some ways to go, but a big milestone for my first project build.  er.... did I say first?  don't let the wife know....

https://youtu.be/-oLTeRezUOI

Sean
'75 850-T
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 20:39
Fan dab a dosy, it sounds lovely

Nice one Sean  Clap  Clap 

1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 21:36
Well done indeed.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 07:58
Good job. Sounds sweet!

My own 850T rebuild got pushed to the back of the barn, in favour of other projects, but we had our own 'first start up  in many, many years' a while back. Didn't quite get around to putting any pipes on for that   (o;

You can play 'spot the non-standard 850T bits' if you like.
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 17:33
The last week has seen a final push to get the remaining bits sorted and installed on the bike so that it is complete and ready for a first test ride.  A few snags were encountered, and a few misc, last-minute parts are still required from various MG parts and hardware sources (pending in post).
The day after starting the bike I smelled fuel and found a tiny drip from the left side carb; to confess, I had not yet stripped and rebuilt the carbs, anxious to get things back together first.  It seemed that the banjo bolt bottomed out and was not sealing the fuel filter.  Adding a washer cured that, but after re-assembly there was still a tiny drip - float bowl o-ring is smashed and dried out.  So, no problem, two rebuild kits and filters on order.  Although the fuel drip did discolor (yellow) the fresh clearcoat on one small section of the engine....
Next issue, my beautiful new 'cafe' seat doesn't fit!!  The seat pan was constructed to fit on the frame and does not accommodate the rear fender (now they tell me).  After the time, effort and cost in professional paint for this project there is no way I'm ditching the fender.  To modify the pan, a local upholstery place quoted me $4-500!!  It is a $100-$150 job at most.  So now something else I will have to do myself, and for the first time.
Other issue - 'engineering' of the shifter and brake lever linkages.  See recent post at link below for detail on how I'm doing these with new Tarozzi rearsets.  Which, by the way, came with folding pegs too long (wide) for the look of the bike; fortunately Jim at FFTP has shorter ones and was cool with a straight exchange as nothing was yet installed or used.  In the post.
New tires on the wheels and drilled rotor installed, the wheels are back on; bearings in both replaced. 
Instruments were refurbished; I had to go back to the dented stock bezels and clean them up after the "chrome" ones I bought did not fit properly.  Need to pop these back on and connect the cables.
Dash decal - d'oh!  Apparently I found out the hard way that clearcoat does not work over top of the decal (ink runs).  Had to strip again and order another decal.
Clutch cable - too long by ~11" due to lowered Brevettato bars.  I am cutting the stock cable and soldering on a replacement cable stop to the end.  Another first for me, so we'll see how that goes.
Brake caliper and m/c rebuild - done, and just need to connect new braided lines and bleed.
Almost there....!

Recent details at: http://850tcafe.blogspot.com/ 

Edited by Stomp944 - 09 Sep 2016 at 17:36
Sean
'75 850-T
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 23:28
On its own two wheels again after about 4 months on an engine stand.

Sean
'75 850-T
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 16:33
Four months, is that all, mine was years!!!

Very very nice Sean.

Love the colour scheme.

When you solder the nipple onto the cable, splay the wires a little to increase the surface area for the solder which helps prevent the cable pulling through.
BMW GSA
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 17:53
Thanks, OR.  Will do on the cable.
Lucky for me, I got fired a few months ago.  Lots of time to work on my Guzzi now!

Today, re-working the seat pan as well as soldering up that clutch cable.

Another teaser progress photo in the meantime (instruments and fenders included, plus badges positioned on the tank).  I pulled it out in the sun for the first time yesterday and the paint (Jaguar metallic grey) really sparkled.  Happy with the black/chrome and grey/white scheme.

Sean
'75 850-T
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 17:21
Some before and after shots of the 850T project:
http://850tcafe.blogspot.com/2016/09/before-and-after.html 

And a few after finally being rolled out into the sunlight again.

Edited by Stomp944 - 20 Sep 2016 at 17:25
Sean
'75 850-T
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 17:33
Splendid job!! I bet you enjoyed the Amalfi coast.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 18:00
That is well cool.
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 20:20
Very nice.
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 20:28
What a wonderful bike and you have done a superb job.

You should be very proud of your work. TOP MAN!!!!Thumbs Up
California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:50
Looks lovely, and a very professional job too.
Love the colour scheme

Well done that man
BMW GSA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic