guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

850-T cafe project build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 850-T cafe project build
    Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 23:55
Hi, kids. I recently started a project build with a 1975 850-T. I began with a well-running, fairly intact example which strikes a balance between too 'basket case' to bother and too restored or stock to ruin. Link to detail I am capturing in a blog is below (read bottom up; latest post is fresh paint!).
Good bones to start with; the plan for this project lies somewhere between restoration, refurbishment, re-freshening, re-imagining and a 'factory' cafe. A reliable driver with a clean, understated aesthetic.
At this point the frame is about to come off the engine; I estimate that completion is about 6 months away.  So far so good, but may be leaning on the forum community soon as reassembly progresses. 

http://850tcafe.blogspot.com/

Sean
'75 850-T
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 02:44
Sean
'75 850-T
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 02:46
Sean
'75 850-T
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 02:48
Slightly bobbed fender and tank paint complete; this sets the intended look for the finished project:

Sean
'75 850-T
GU221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GU221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 04:31
Keep pics coming. Glad you are not making a café from an original 850. They are getting scarce.
Bellagio 940T
T3
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 09:20
Should be interesting. I agree about chopping up a nice 850 T, they're lovely bikes as standard and rare.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:41
But you don't necessarily have to 'chop' a Guzzi to make it a café racer, do you?

(he asks, cautiously, because there's this 850T...)
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 11:18
Just an expression Bazza, not literally chop as in cut it in half. You know me, I'm not precious, and no bikes are sacred and people can do what they want, but the 850T as a standard roadster is a great bike and in my opinion one of the best Guzzis ever made, nice engine, and great discs + drum brakes combination.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 17:03
look forward to more reports on this bike ,like the colour Thumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 18:57
I know we're biased but any Guzzi seems to look good in any colour.

Or do the blokes on here just have good taste?
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 19:30
Isn't that the Guzzi racing green? You know, the one designed to cause nausea in all the competitors.

With respect to the late, great John Maris.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 19:59
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

I know we're biased but any Guzzi seems to look good in any colour.

Or do the blokes on here just have good taste?

You'd probably need to reserve judgement till you see my Ambassador! Shocked
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 21:00
Yes, agree regarding heavy mods to a perfectly good stock example.  I spent several years seeking a bike with a balance between too crusty to bother and too good to ruin.  I found it; a little beat up and not stock but a good runner.

Cutting down fenders may not define 'cafe', and certainly my usage of the term to describe this project is somewhat loose.  If left as is they would look fine; since I planned to paint, I thought that left stock length they would not look right.

I first photoshopped a photo for an idea of how it would turn out.  While there was a little hesitation to cut the fenders, I'm really happy at how they turned out.  I ended up taking 6" off the rear and off the bottom of the front, and 1" from the leading edge of the front.
Sean
'75 850-T
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 21:07
The aftermarket side covers got paint and new badges too.
Note, poor lighting in photos; actual grey base color is lighter than it appears.

Sean
'75 850-T
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 21:10
Likely a few weeks at this point from sorting wiring, painting the frame and starting reassembly.
Sean
'75 850-T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic