FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

850-T cafe project build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fred Gassit View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fred Gassit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 850-T cafe project build
    Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 22:47
Beautiful. My old 850T bitsa had been fitted with Le Mans alloys, so loving your spoked wheels.
chrisshrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 10:49
very smart well done fella 
Oldrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 18:08
Thats a really lovely job there.  I do like that 
Clap
1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 17:46
Thanks for the feedback!
Nothing new to report, except that it still starts easily and rides great.  I've put a few hundred more miles on it and enjoy it whether I'm riding or just staring at it in the garage.

As you might imagine, however, looking for another project now......
Sean
'75 850-T
wrnkley View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrnkley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 08:04
Lovely...well done that man.
Kriegmob View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriegmob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 06:04
Love that bike ๐Ÿ‘
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 19:30
Very nice job.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 17:00
oh, and I see now in an early post on this build that I referred to the side covers as 'aftermarket'.  in fact they are stock covers on stock boxes.  a PO cut them back along the vent line so that they fit nicely in the triangle of the frame.  took me a while to realize this since they were chromed when I got it.  after paint I fitted new badges and lock mechanisms.  turned out as a good visual element for this build.
there are more stock (but modified) pieces on this bike than maybe assumed at first glance besides the tank and side covers (front and rear fenders for example).  again, I tried to only molest stuff that was already molested.... 
Sean
'75 850-T
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 16:59
That's a class act
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Stomp944 View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stomp944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 16:45
cheers, all!  this was a fairly big test for my first project rebuild.  learned a lot and appreciated the help and encouragement from folks on this and other forums.
yes, lots of background in reverse chronology on my blog; although it may be a little dry and boring and full of angst for some...Smile

short answer on tank was the PO (or PO before him) unsuccessfully pounded it in with a hammer.  I actually liked the knee dishing and asked my painter to do something with it.  he dreaded the prospect but we were both happy with the outcome.  it may not be immediately obvious that I moved the original stock tank badge up above the 'line' and slightly forward as well (to my eye, it balances out the large space better this way); I had to strip and repaint the badges by hand too.  and, the cap is sourced from an auto parts store since the PO had also cut off the stock cap mounting tab.  I notched the filler and include a rubber donut under the cap to get it to 'lock' into place.

that seat was a bear; eventually bought the fabric and sewed it from scratch myself.

Edited by Stomp944 - 30 Mar 2017 at 17:25
Sean
'75 850-T
Dukedesmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukedesmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:27
Nice.  Thumbs Up
Le Mans 2
Ducati 916

Ducati M900
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 10:37
Originally posted by jmee54 jmee54 wrote:

Beautifully understated. I love the tank, who did that?

Full build thread on this forum!   And the first post in that thread contains a link to his build blog, with even more detail:  http://850tcafe.blogspot.com/   (o: 

jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 09:49
Beautifully understated. I love the tank, who did that?
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 09:05
+1 on the Very Nice. Lovely job!
Roadrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 08:21
Very nice๐Ÿ˜Š
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic