guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

750T Motoplat ignition timing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 15:49
This probably has nothing to do with it, but I had it on the side stand when it started on one cylinder. As soon as it cut out, I put it on the centre stand and left it while I worked on another bike. Later, I went for a ride, and it ran ok, but before I put it down to "one of those things" I think I need to go for a longer ride and see if the problem returns when the engine is hot
Will post again re progress (or not)!.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 21:42
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but have you checked the choke plungers are seating correctly? Also the neoprene washer in the bottom of the plungers can become badly worn. Both would cause rich running.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
GuzziLancs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziLancs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 07:23
Hi Brian, thanks for the message.

Nothing wrong with stating the obvious sometimes. I've stripped and cleaned out the carbs a couple of times so I hope its not a problem but won't do any harm to recheck the choke.
I'm replacing the main jet and atomiser as I think they are not to spec but not sure if this would cause the bike to run excessively rich and one cylinder to cut out.
Also do you think the compression readings are high (175/180 psi) and what would cause this?
Other thoughts are an intermittent fault in ignition circuit when warmed up giving poor spark?

Regards
Keep calm and carry on fettlin'
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 09:18
If jets are the same both sides, it couldn't cause a problem on one side only. But the choke (enrichener) on that side would if fuel can leak past. Main jet size in any case, only affects the mixture over 3/4 throttle.

Compression, that looks good, not overly high.

On the Motoplat system, is there a large capacitor in the circuit? I seem to remember there was. If so then they do break down over time, so maybe that might give a problem with the spark. Just guessing though.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziLancs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 19:00
Thanks Brian, both sides are running rich but only the right cuts out when warm.

The condenser you mention is no longer available but not sure of the technical details so difficult to replace with like for like.

Corresponding with a guy who sells that stuff says it should run without it but I'd rather replace it and see if it makes a difference.

I know what you mean about the main jets but I just thought I'd try and get it back to spec and then see before I think about replacing the more expensive bits.

Regards
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 22:20
I agree about getting the jets back to standard, and start from there.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Thetar View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thetar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 16:53
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Simon B View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 09:21
Hi, I have recently come across the same problem with my 91 750t... Did you manage to find the cause for this? The bike pops and bangs but doesn't start!  

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuzziLancs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 17:07
Hi, sorry for delay but I’m on holiday at the moment.
I no longer have the 750T, it was more of a project that I sold about 2 years ago so the details are a little hazy.
From what I recall I ended up replacing the ignition system including the coils and I also ended up with bigger jets after trying various  sizes, although it still ran a bit rich but it did run better. 
Good luck and I hopE this is useful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic