guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cali misfire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 19:22
Think it's beyond me
Honda CBF 1000 2000 Cali EV (in bits)(not any more)
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 00:15
Has this thottle body and/or injector been replaced then?

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 07:35
Both injectors replaced with secondhand units from NBS   Cleaned and checked before installing
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 18:34
Don't larf but have you tried running it it total darkness so can look for sparks around coils and HT leads etc.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 19:07
Just how bad is the misfire? As many V11's suffer from a slight cough at a steady throttle equating to 35-40 mph .... ANY  slight air leak in the zorst or inlet and it shows, drove me crazy sometimes on the V11 Le Mans but EVERY time it was a wee nip on zorsts and all good you could see the tiny pencil type line of carbon where the leak was .... got some of that silicon exhaust sealant BUT it is blue and a total GIT if you get it on the shiny stuff .... just what I found ... no such issues on the Cali EV ....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 20:00
Will give it a go some night Mike
It's as you describe Ken but it should not be there will try your ideas but a bit fed up with it at the moment
r100gser View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r100gser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 20:04
Have you cleaned the sensor on the front left hand side of the engine, they can become coated in burnt oil and this will effect them, clean it with petrol or contact cleaner etc - then swap both sensors over (they are both the same I think) and see what happens
I would then put a timing light on it and see if you can spot an intermittent spark on either cylinder. try plugs HT leads and caps you know are good. check the alternator output is constant ( this may indicate a loose wire)

if that is seem ok and you are satisfied you have correctly checked all the electrical components and connections, ( make sure you check the side stand switch wiring under the tank - there are two bullet connectors there that often take the piss out of us). 
 Then turn your attention to the fuel / air side of things try the simple things first air leaks, bad air filter, fuel filter etc. check  the fuel pump pressure (or swap it for a known good one) have the injectors checked over.

If you are methodical thorough you will find the fault   or you could just accept........
  THEY ALL DO THAT SIR.......  good luck

ps  if you still cant find the fault and want to burn the thing out...I am a scouser and I am genetically programmed to do just that.......Ian

Edited by r100gser - 03 May 2016 at 20:27
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 20:09
Yip both sensors out and cleaned
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:42
Me to the Glaswegian genes are still strong
Keef Mayhem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keef Mayhem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:29
Have you checked the fuel pump & ignition relays ?
I had a very similar problem with an 1100i cali which would stumble and cut out for a split second but only when held at a steady 2,000rpm and then behave ok for a while, it turned out to be a dodgy relay, its an easy thing to check, just swap the relays around and check the relay bases for corrosion :-)

So many bikes, so little time !
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 12:30
It did take me some time to sort it on the V11 Le mans Like you I went round everything , but once I used the silicon on the zorst and took it for a good 100+ mile work out it seemed to stop the only time it ever came back was when it was cold weather all the lights on and the battery was low, I put that down to the charging system struggling..... on the lemans it manifested about 35-40 bumbling in higher gear, I tended to drop a cog and let it rev a wee bit more, I spoke to Mark who checked it all on the system there were NO Faults showing. MY ONLY conclusion was the exhaust BUT as you may know there are a lot more joints on the Le Mans ...the leak was from the collector box ...I replaced the damn thing with a Stucchi type cross over and with the G-Force loud pipes it rocked....
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 19:04
Grahame did suggest I change the relays and I will nip up the exhaust. The previous owner. Says the bike ran perfectly when he put it of the road it lay in the barn for two years , he then tried to start it with no luck. Local guzzi dealer in Falkirk had a look and said the injector was shot. It was too expensive for him to repair so back to the barn for 10 years and the rest is on the forum
Argyll Goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argyll Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 20:04
Originally posted by Hbhonda Hbhonda wrote:

Grahame did suggest I change the relays and I will nip up the exhaust. The previous owner. Says the bike ran perfectly when he put it of the road it lay in the barn for two years , he then tried to start it with no luck. Local guzzi dealer in Falkirk had a look and said the injector was shot. It was too expensive for him to repair so back to the barn for 10 years and the rest is on the forum

'Guzzi dealer in Falkirk', - you will find some previous posts on this site regarding that particular avenue! Even if you don't get this ironed out totally Harry, are you still up for a run to Inveraray one day with Jimmac and myself?, invitations open to anyone else of course, more Guzzi's the better! I have found an Italiaphile locally with, as yet, one Guzzi (8 valve Griso and some nice other Italian examples) so not ,I think, totally convinced yet,but I'm working on it!
Hbhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hbhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 20:20
Yes but need to get her mot and tax first, doing nc 500 last week in May on the biffer weather permitting so don't think I'll manage to get her done this month
richiedan40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richiedan40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 04:04
HI , ive got a 95 cali and had very similar problems to yourself , its all sorted now , thanks to a lot of help from the guys on here , my problems turned out to be a combination of a few problems and as I worked through them it gradually got better and is now cured.
Before I start , since ive had my cali , ive discovered that they do hesitate a bit at low speed and steady throttle openings and over fuel a little when cold , I believe that this is the relatively crude injection system ( not closed loop )
I started with making sure everything was set up properly. You need to adjust the TPS  , this is quite easy to do , there are some tutorials on line , google ....brad the bike boy.
when the tps is set balance the throttle bodies.
check the temp sensors have not gone open circuit , one of mine had. there is one under the tank and one on the left hand rocker box cover. ( if your bike is similar to mine that is.)
Also , I read you mentioned barn find , mine was stood for a bit and I ended up cleaning every electrical connector with a toothbrush and some contact cleaner.
I also read that you mentioned the plugs were black , they will be if you pull them after initial start up but they should be a tan colour when the bike has warmed up , from the experiences I had , and these are only my experiences....my cali was over fuelling and the plugs were miss firing because the insulation was black and the voltage was tracking across the soot , once properly warm it got a bit better . does your bike chug when 1st fired up and smell of unburnt fuel ?
Hope this helps
regards
Richie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic