guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lemon v resto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lemon v resto
    Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 17:57
Well here it is my shine new le man mk v.
 The motor starts well and sounds peachy,the last owner rebuilt it and replaced the chain,shells ect ,about 10 ,000 miles ago however its been stood for 4 years or so.
Now do you think the seals will still be ok after 4 years of non use ?
The gearbox needs a rebuild as second to third gear is hard too select
The frame ect is rusty so a full strip down is on the cards,I just hope the front engine bolt comes out ok.
The front forks had a maxton damper conversion at some point ,so no air damper too replace .
Well this is going too take a while as I need too build a larger workshop first,I will post pics and stupid questions along the way,the aim is for a nice simple roadster look ,so here I go deep breath inflate cheeks and say you can do it duffy moon.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 19:35
looks good to meThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 22:24
4 years is nothing when it comes to seals perishing or hardening.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 22:36
My Monza was in a shop for 10 years and never leaked a drop when I started using it regularly.
chrisshrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 08:50
perfect start !thank you for the good news chaps 
Wits View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 09:13
All guzzi gearboxes are very agriculture in operation 😂

If you need a gearbox rebuild, NBS motorcycle services just over the county boundry near Stafford...... Nigel top bloke ....
BMW 1200RTLC carbon BLack SOLD….
Breva 1100 2005 in Black SOLD.....
St George's Telford Shropshire.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 09:15
If the gearbox does ever bother you, look at the Gearbox Shim topic in the FAQ section.
Brian.

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:09
False neutrals aren't uncommon I'm afraid. But do check pedal height adjustment and range of movement (is it moving far enough). Sometimes it depends which pair of boots you've got on at the time.
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:12
PS: also check clutch adjustments are correct, correct amount of free play in cable etc., also trying to change up too fast can do it.

HTH
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 13:56
thanks chaps ,the last owner said it was the fork that was worn due too being shim'ed up properly
its not a bit stiff its very hard too select second to third gear ,a strip down is in order I think .
I will read over the shim link 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 21:53
Does anyone know if there are 320 front disks that will fit the cast wheels ?
ReggieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReggieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 20:27
Mike H wrote;"False neutrals aren't uncommon I'm afraid."

That's probably true, but I had both of my gearboxes built by Nigel Bilingsley (NBS) and I have never had false neutrals Thumbs Up.

Wits wrote;" ...... Nigel top bloke ...." Never was a truer word spoken.

The only problem I ever had was when I didn't fit the lever onto the selection shaft at 90* and I was having to give it size 12's to get the gears. Since that was rectified the gearbox selection has been really good.

Edited by ReggieV - 14 Feb 2016 at 20:31
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 20:44
Maybe they take getting used to but I've never rerally experienced false neutrals on my big Guzzis. The point about having the lever ta exactly 90 degrees on the shaft is very valid, always the first thing to check for, then linkages/bushes/joints, then in the long run, shimming the gearbox is also a good thing to do. My S3 box is silky smooth..
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 21:58
Have a look at the gearbox shim topic in FAQ, if this is not correct, you stand more chance of false neutrals.
Brian.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 19:58
It's not so much a false neutral as just not going into third gear ,I will have a look at the gearbox when I get it off .
Thanks for your help
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic