guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introduction > Useful links
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MOT's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 15:45
Originally posted by Argyll Goose Argyll Goose wrote:

Did anyone realise you now need to declare SORN for a vehicle that is'nt insured and of the road?

Only yesterday as I had a reminder and phoned them . The mot has run out while it's on the bench so have to Sorn it. Better than wasting a couple of months tax I guess.
My pocket rather than theirs.

Cheers
Min
Argyll Goose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argyll Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 17:04
Originally posted by theone&onlymin theone&onlymin wrote:

Originally posted by Argyll Goose Argyll Goose wrote:

Did anyone realise you now need to declare SORN for a vehicle that is'nt insured and of the road?

Only yesterday as I had a reminder and phoned them . The mot has run out while it's on the bench so have to Sorn it. Better than wasting a couple of months tax I guess.
My pocket rather than theirs.

Cheers
Min

Yes, a mate of mine bought a new car last month and informed his insurer of the change of vehicle. He still has his old car which is road taxed until end of March. It's parked in his drive. Last week he received a letter from DVLA with a fine for £100 for not sorn'ing an uninsured vehicle,(£50 if paid within a month), so insurance companies must be obliged to tell DVLA when a transfer to another vehicle takes place. Most people (me included until I heard this) naturally think sorn is to do with road tax. I wonder how many have been caught out. Another nice little earner for the government.
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 17:37
All this information is on national databases all the DVLA have to do is search them for anomalies. So somebody's monthly direct debit misses a payment next thing the cops are pulling them over for no insurance and vehicle seized. If you've ever watched some of them Motorway Cops type programs that sort of thing happens a lot.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 16:49

how about this new one if it fails you cannot drive/ ride it home and the failure wipes out any remaining MOT
For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 18:41
Can't find anything else to corroborate that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 20:32
phographed on mot test station wall
For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
Andrew_C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 21:22
I suppose the "taking it to be fixed" clause could include home.

As to wiping out any remaining time on an old MOT; good. It has just been proven to be unroadworthy, it shouldn't be on the road.
NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 22:12
hmm well the actual wording on the Gov website quoted on that poster isnt quite the same.. this says that you can take it away if the MOT is still valid, and presumably continue to drive it?

http://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 23:19
its certainly is a slight difference of wording  the picture is from the confederation of vehicle testing stations

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 19:17
I looked up the gov mot info too, the other looks a bit too much to me like drumming up business, you can't drive it away from here now it's failed, so have to leave it here for us to fix it at whatever we like to charge. (?)

italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 19:34
Yep, simply incorrect, my Mazda failed its MOT a few weeks back on corrosion but I was fine to drive until the actual MOT ran out and I had made a decision what to do with it. Then I sorned it, and now selling it for scrap.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 21:40
YOU NEED TO HAVE AN ACTICE VEEE HICLE COP DUNCHA
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 06:24
i once got stopped by plod the day after MOT on my car. "Routine check sir". With a flourish I produced the MOT certificate which was still in the glove box. That really pissed them off and went over the car with a fine toothed comb repeating their mantra: That certificate is only true on the day of the test. I know we have a few ex coppers on here so no offence but these two were the achitypal... They found that the spotlights didnt come on with main beam (Rover SD1) which they did on theirs! FFS.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic