guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anybody have any experience of cobalt drill bits?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody have any experience of cobalt drill bits?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody have any experience of cobalt drill bits?
    Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 10:53
I'm in the process of stripping my rear wheel down (1980 Spada)

one of the three 6mm bolts that hold the cush drive plate in place is missing and has obviously sheared off in the past. Looking at it this morning someone has tried to drill it out and there is what appears to be an "easy out" snapped off in the bottom of the bolt.

I'm thinking of trying a cobalt bit but have no experience of them. Do you think it would do the job?

Edited by Rob Farmer - 15 Nov 2015 at 11:04
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:02
I think you'll run too much of a risk of damaging the wheel as the drill slips off the (very hard)easy out.Spark erosion is the only way of removing a locked in easy out that I've ever found.Others may have found alternative ways.Best of luck!!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Rob Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:05
Just been told a solid carbide bit should do it.

I may give the spark erosion route a try though. Thanks

Any recommended spark erosion companies in the East Midlands?
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 11:34
Can't recommend any specific company in your area but there are many around if you Google for them.Let us know how you get on.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 14:30
solid carbide will be no good - i use them at work for drilling studs etc 
but
 if the end of the carbide drill snaggs the whole drill explodes
For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
Android View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Android Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 15:49
Solid carbide drills  are very brittle,  if you can got a carbide rotary burr,  don't run it too fast and just gentle pressure, they cut easyouts no problem.

Carbide drills are great in a machine but not hand drill.

Do you have a green grit grinding wheel maybe sharpen up a masonry drill bit, again run it slow.

Edited by Android - 15 Nov 2015 at 15:58
You can't buy happiness,
But can buy a bike and that's pretty close!
Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
Rob Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 16:02
Originally posted by Android Android wrote:

Solid carbide drills  are very brittle,  if you can got a carbide rotary burr,  don't run it too fast and just gentle pressure, they cut easyouts no problem.

Carbide drills are great in a machine but not hand drill.

Do you have a green grit grinding wheel maybe sharpen up a masonry drill bit, again run it slow.

I do have a Green Grit wheel, left over from when I had a lathe, I'll try sharpening a masonary bit. Thanks

I also have a few dental burrs. I'll try those as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic