guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi Spada Resto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 23:38
That's looking lovely Rob, a credit to you.

1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 10:50
Very nice.

I suppose the white on the saddle dirtyies up.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 12:21
+1 on the very nice. If you like the footboard style, and I do, they are so fun to ride.

Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

I suppose the white on the saddle dirtyies up.

Funny, really. I had a couple of Cali saddles to choose from (long story) and I prefer my grubby old, rusty based one, because the white has faded to a lovely old cream/ivory tone.  That, and the fact that the front seam on the newer one is horribly over-pronounced.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 14:46
top classThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
NeilD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 06:42
did you sort out the shocks ?  looks liek in the most recent picture you've fitted them the other way up? 
Essexboydave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Essexboydave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 11:25
That looks excellent Smile I've owned a 79 Spada since 91and mine has always had footboards and high bars, one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden. Unfortunately mine has been in pieces for a few years now but looking at yours I think it's time I started rebuilding it again.
Rob Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 17:28
Originally posted by NeilD NeilD wrote:

did you sort out the shocks ?  looks liek in the most recent picture you've fitted them the other way up? 

The stickers on the shocks suggested they should be mounted as I had them originally but they foul on the bevel box. There's still an issue with them. The spring diameter is wider than most shocks and actually brush against the rear brake carrier.

No idea how they will work this way round and the jury is out on the shocks in general. I'll have to see how they stand up when the bikes being used.
Moto Guzzi Spada t3 Cali lookalike (1980)
BMW R100/7 (1978)
BMW R100gs (1993)
Harley Davidson FXDX (2003)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 17:34
I'm just going through that "Why did I bother phase" with the bike.

I paid a small fortune for a pair of new mudguards from Gutsibits that took weeks to arrive. The rear doesn't fit properly and the front looks nothing like an original!!!

I spent half a day laying on the floor swapping out the leaking gearbox clutch release seal only to have it leak again as soon as it was in.

Just the usual phases and hassle of putting a bike together. Every time I do it I swear it will be the last one I do Big smile
BMW R100/7 (1978)
BMW R100gs (1993)
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 17:51
Originally posted by Rob Farmer Rob Farmer wrote:

The stickers on the shocks suggested they should be mounted as I had them originally but they foul on the bevel box. There's still an issue with them. The spring diameter is wider than most shocks and actually brush against the rear brake carrier.

No idea how they will work this way round and the jury is out on the shocks in general. I'll have to see how they stand up when the bikes being used.

If you need set to get it rolling I've a pair of allegedly low mileage standard Spada shocks you're welcome to borrow/ have and I'm only down the road.  One of those eBay bids you put on instead of hitting "watch" and never expect to win!
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 18:15
I'm just recommissioning a Spada that's been off the road 15 years and have also met a bit of frustration today. Secondhand brake disc arrived Saturday so I stuck it on the wheel today and it's as bad as the warped one I threw away. Also decided that head bearings are too notchy so another job for the list. On the plus side the wheel bearings and swingarm bearings seem ok.
ranton_rambler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranton_rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 19:42
Addition to last post - in a rare moment of interest and insight my other half said 'maybe it's your wheel, not the discs' so I'll borrow a dial gauge from work and see if I can measure the hub. There's a bit of run-out at the rim, but doesn't look excessive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 20:47
Originally posted by BondEquipe BondEquipe wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">The stickers on the shocks suggested they should be mounted as I had them originally but they foul on the bevel box. There's still an issue with them. The spring diameter is wider than most shocks and actually brush against the rear brake carrier.</span>

If you need set to get it rolling I've a pair of allegedly low mileage standard Spada shocks you're welcome to borrow/ have and I'm only down the road.  One of those eBay bids you put on instead of hitting "watch" and never expect to win!

That's really good of you Thank you.
I still need to buy a complete exhaust system before I can give the bike a run out. I'll see how these shocks pan out.
BMW R100/7 (1978)
BMW R100gs (1993)
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 23:39

Originally posted by NeilD NeilD wrote:

My LM came with shocks that couldn't have been OEM, slightly too fat so the preload rings had to be left stuck at maximum because any lower they would foul the brake caliper support LHS & bevel box RHS; sorted by putting thick washers on the lower mounting stubs to pull them out a bit. Later the replacement Hagons, interestingly, didn't need any such spacers, as I suppose they shouldn't.

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Lemon 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemon 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 15:12
When i restored my LM2 the other day i sourced a pair of Hinckley Triumph shocks everything right dimension wise just a few  thick stainless washers used width purposes.
Plenty on flea bay at the mo quite affordable.
Dazed and Confused

Le Mans Mk2
chrisshrops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisshrops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 12:20
Originally posted by Ianboydsnr Ianboydsnr wrote:

Playing about with the Tank tonight. Its pretty much scrap so have ordered a replacement from TLM.

This is getting expensive!! Guzzi parts are cheap compared to Airhead BMW though.

did you buy a spada tank?

I bought a 6 inch D shaped universal rear mudguard in stainless off ebay, I fitted it to the V7 sport type seat!

can't see any on ebay to show you though!

is that a glass fibre v 7 replica tank Ian ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic