guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guzzi Spada Resto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guzzi Spada Resto
    Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 04:51
I bought this Spada as a Project bike a couple of months ago. The idea was to have a cheap, scruffy Guzzi to run about on. It soon became obvious that this wasn't going to be an option. The bike had stood outside for a number of years. The rear mudguard had rotted through and the frame needed some attention to remove the surface rust.

The bike is showing 42,000 miles on the clock. I was originally sceptical of this but during the strip down I found every nut and bolt had been greased and there's very little wear in the engine so I'm pretty sure the mileage is genuine.

Bike as bought - I was ready to walk away when I saw it but the owner asked if I wanted to hear it run. It fired straight up and settled into a nice tick over. I was able to take it for a quick run up his drive.

The seat base was rotted through and the home made seat cover was badly damaged by UV. 

Trying out a few ideas

It was during this phase I knew it was going to need something more than just a tidy up - So a few hours later... Fortunately because every nut and bolt was greased there wasn't a single seized bolt making the job of stripping it down very easy. 

Work got in the way of things and I haven't had chance to do much but I did drop the frame and metal work off at the powder coaters. I bought a pair of wire wheels off pigford and have a set of bearing holders for them on the way. A meaty order from Stein Dinse should see things moving in the right direction again soon.

exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 07:17
the next bit of my spda build is coming along i have have had Nigel at NBS assemble the engine for me as its stood for to many months (18) fair exchange as i did some blast cleaning for him
once i get it collected as its ready  it can be mounted to the gearbox that he rebuilt  and then go in its frame
It will rise from hundreds of boxes of unknown Guzzi make into a loved Spada hopefully gleaming underneath all its new paintwork
For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 08:03
Looking good so far Ray .
David Nimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Nimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 08:10
Originally posted by chilly chilly wrote:

Eh..?Confused

This thread is about Rob Farmers SpadaWink

BMW R1150GS (2003)
Harley FXST (1989)
Harley FLHS (1988)

Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 08:19
Looks like you dropped lucky with your buy. Who would have expected the front engine bolt to pop out?
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 08:29
Rob and Ray hope both spadas become the bikes you want .Looking forward to how the bikes turn out
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
chilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 10:03
Originally posted by David Nimrod David Nimrod wrote:

Originally posted by chilly chilly wrote:

Eh..?Confused

This thread is about Rob Farmers SpadaWink

Confused Dohh! ,just read Rays input , yep hope both bikes turn out as they want  LOL
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 18:23
In the 3rd pic the rear mudguard looks like it's been sawn in half? Was there no front half of it then? What stopped spray going into the battery and electrics?

Just FYI, my '79 Spada mk 1 would sometimes try to kill me halfway thru a bend by going into a massive trouser pooping weave, it needed new good quality aftermarket rear shocks and a fork brace up front to stop it. And the stock adjustable steering damper helped a lot too, BUT still only on a very light stiffness.

Worked really quite well after that, still a slight tendancy to weave at 80 - 90 but nothing uncontrollable.

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Rob Farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 20:12
Mike,

The rear guard had rotted through. I chopped it down while playing with a few ideas on how I wanted it to look. You can see in the first picture it was a standard mudguard but it fell apart at the mounts when I touched it.

I'll be fitting new shocks and Bitubo dampers to the forks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 20:14
Playing about with the Tank tonight. Its pretty much scrap so have ordered a replacement from TLM.

This is getting expensive!! Guzzi parts are cheap compared to Airhead BMW though.

Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 20:44
Originally posted by exsmokingbiker exsmokingbiker wrote:

the next bit of my spda build is coming along i have have had Nigel at NBS assemble the engine for me as its stood for to many months (18) fair exchange as i did some blast cleaning for him
once i get it collected as its ready  it can be mounted to the gearbox that he rebuilt  and then go in its frame
It will rise from hundreds of boxes of unknown Guzzi make into a loved Spada hopefully gleaming underneath all its new paintwork

if you need a hand call me buddy
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 13:16
Originally posted by Rob Farmer Rob Farmer wrote:

Mike,

The rear guard had rotted through. I chopped it down while playing with a few ideas on how I wanted it to look. You can see in the first picture it was a standard mudguard but it fell apart at the mounts when I touched it.

Ah right OK. After I got mine professionally painted I did the underside and interiors of the sidepanels with a couple of coats of black Hammerite, of course that was way back when Hammerite was actually any good. Confused

For the later 850 I got a stainless version. Exact same design, just in stainless.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 16:47
Originally posted by Rob Farmer Rob Farmer wrote:

Playing about with the Tank tonight. Its pretty much scrap so have ordered a replacement from TLM.

This is getting expensive!! Guzzi parts are cheap compared to Airhead BMW though.

did you buy a spada tank?

I bought a 6 inch D shaped universal rear mudguard in stainless off ebay, I fitted it to the V7 sport type seat!

can't see any on ebay to show you though!

Edited by Ianboydsnr - 30 Sep 2015 at 16:55

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 16:13
Five hours spent scrubbing the greasy gearbox and engine today. Looks much better for it.

The Tank from TLM turned out to be an unused one with a dent in the side. Amazing whats laying about?

The good news is were now moving in the right direction again.

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 16:50
with that petrol tank whatever you do to the bike it will look goodThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic