guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spada 3 tank removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spada 3 tank removal
    Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 22:18
So I successfully collected my Spada 3 from Adrian at Stansted and rode it home to Glasgow. No big drama except the speedo broke and the low fuel warning light is permanently on. She's now clean and the exhaust leaks plugged and the carbs seated properly. So far so guzzi :-)

But can I find out how to remove the tank? Nope!

HELP - I know it must be simple but no searches have brought it to light. I really want to get in there to replace the speedo and throttle cables. I can see there's a bolt at the back, but it's underneath the tank. Does it just need a backward yank?

Feeling very dim ...
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 22:31
Discojnect the fuel lines, sensor etc and give it a tug, probably not been off for a year or ten
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 22:40
Well the whole bike didnt move for 15 years ...

So that's all? A quick rearward pull?
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 00:22
one hand on front other on back lift and pull back
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 22:17
It's not for shifting :-( Nearly pulled it off the stand trying. Why doesnt the handbook say anything grrrrrrr. Very frustrated
which is when it all starts going wrong. Giving up for tonight.

Would welcome any pics of what it should look like under the tank
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 08:30
where in Glasgow are you ?
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Pharisee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharisee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:19
Not sure if this is of any help but with my '80 LM2, you undo the petrol pies (both sides), then lift the seat and release the rubber retaining strap that's hooked onto the rear of the tank. Lift the rear of the tank... it may be stuck on the rubbers if it's not been off in a while but there's nothing 'mechanical' holding it. Once the rear has been lifted enough to allow the front 'hooks' on the tank to clear the front rubber bobbins on the frame, slide the tank backwards and it will lift off.
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:29
should be the same, all the Tontis have the same frame etc.  unlikely that a previous owner has altered anything. you might be able to look  under the tank from the headstock and see the bobbins in situ and give them a whack with a big screwdriver. spray the whole area with WD or something that might help ease it a bit, wiggle tank from side to side, might be a matter of releasing congealed rubber mess of the lugs they sit in
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 19:29
Yes if that's the case it won't 'slide off backwards', like he says have to lift the back end up first. THEN front end will come out backwards.

I was going to ask what actually holds a Spada 3 tank on, is it indeed front of the seat plus the rubber strap?

At risk of stating the bleedin' obvious (and apologies if so Big smile ) the dualseat has to be opened or taken off first.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 17:25
is it not held woith side [anels located in it

For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 17:36
Side panels have to be removed first?

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 18:51
From Chris C on MGCGB forum:

"my Spada III had a bolt at the back of the tank, so disconnect all fuel pipes and wires to the fuel gauge sender, remove the seat, undo the bolt and the tank slides off backwards. I had to electrically isolate this bolt with a nylon sleeve and nylon washers above and below the tank for the fuel sender in the tank to work otherwise it shorted out and the fuel light stayed on exactly as he describes."

HTH

cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 00:01
Thanks all. There is a bolt at the back of the tank, but it's under the tank and no obvious way to loosen. I'm going to take a big glug of patience tomorrow and see where i get to!
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 10:39
the only bolt at the back should be on a tang at the back of the tank which screws into a fixed bolt underneath it, otherwise it will be a rubber strap as others have said. It really shouldn't be more than five mins to get the tank off. A bolt underneath? Now that's a first post up some pics of the offending bits if you get tank off
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 10:55
Sounds as if someone has bolted the tank down if there shouldn't be a bolt there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic