guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Social section > The Bar.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with yer bike today.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 436>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 00:48
It's a fuse.
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 12:20
Dragged the old Cali out of the garage for first time in 3 weeks or more. Started first prod - i love that lawn mower battery. Sod the others.  Bimblwd from thetford to kings lynn for some brekky.  Back the long way home.  John
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 19:53
Yesterday actually: Rode through pea soup fog for an MOT on the Superalce. MOT man sat on it after I started the engine. Somehow, he must have knocked it into gear. When he rolled it off the stand, it drove straight into a scooter, smashing it up against a brick wall . But I now have the magic certificate Because its a Q plate, DVLA think it was made in 1985. It will MOT free just as they shut all the petrol stations.

Anyway Me and the Superalce had a nice jaunt out to lunch in company of a Norton Dommie and a very shiny Rudge. The fog eventually cleared but boy, was it cold.
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 10:38
And not even a scratch on the Superalce front mudguard!

1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 16:47
Good photo, Derek. I should hire you as my PR man
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 16:01
Hmm, not really sure this qualifies to post under this heading as I haven't actually done anything with the bike, which isn't a Guzzi in this case anyway! Whatever here goes, phoned Streetbike in Halesowen to book the V Strom in for it's 7500 Mile Service - they  were the supplying dealer so I thought I would give them first try. They quoted £382. This service includes changing all four plugs (2 per cyl) according to the schedule which must be OTT surely? Anyway, after I picked myself up off the floor I asked what would the 15000 Mile service with valve check would cost then, told it would be nearly £600Confused. Look out Cugsy. Needless to say, I might take it to them for the next service but I will probably go elsewhere or for the 15000 or do it myself if I haven't swapped it by then for a V85TT which is more likely.  Cugsy - I wonder if your dealer would be cheaper - are they any good? I don't mind travelling, excuse for a day out.
AdrianW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AdrianW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 16:19
Good Grief !!  I know I'm probably way out of touch (haven't bought a new bike since 2006) but that sounds a lot to change oil & filter, plugs and check a few things!! 
I would have expected OEM plugs to last at least 15000 these days..
Does a warranty depends upon this service? Good luck with shopping around..

Adrian
Bristol UK
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 17:30
Thanks Adrian. 
I believe that just as with cars these days, you can take it to an independent and as long as they use OE parts, the warranty is valid. However, How does one know if the independent is any good unless someone recommends them, and there aren't that many in this part of deepest darkest Shropshire and I haven't used any of them previously. I do want to keep the warranty intact (3 years I think now with Suzuki when I bought it) especially as I may change it for a V85TT this spring. It would difficult for Suzuki to argue the toss if I go to a dealer in the unlikely event that something does go wrong within the warranty period. But you are right, far too dear in my view. 
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 17:47
Did the pads all round on the Norge.  Too bloody awful weather to actually take it out of garage.   It will be the bus tomorrow if this weather doesn't improve, even I don't like gale force winds on a bike commutr
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
Wits View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 18:48
Originally posted by V7Chris V7Chris wrote:

Thanks Adrian. 
I believe that just as with cars these days, you can take it to an independent and as long as they use OE parts, the warranty is valid. However, How does one know if the independent is any good unless someone recommends them, and there aren't that many in this part of deepest darkest Shropshire and I haven't used any of them previously. I do want to keep the warranty intact (3 years I think now with Suzuki when I bought it) especially as I may change it for a V85TT this spring. It would difficult for Suzuki to argue the toss if I go to a dealer in the unlikely event that something does go wrong within the warranty period. But you are right, far too dear in my view. 
Hi Chris
Try taylor Bros in Haughton staffs, very good reputation even has all the electronic stuff for BMW's.
Haughton is half way between Newport and Stafford on the telford to Stafford bus route (which stops outside) if you wish to a waste a couple hours in Stafford or return home.

Jamie  
BMW 1200RTLC carbon BLack SOLD….
Breva 1100 2005 in Black SOLD.....
St George's Telford Shropshire.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 19:58
Sorry to butt in, but as someone whose working life was built on reputation, I do notice that dealers have a passive captive audience, and make the most of it, while independents rely on doing a good job and maintaining a reputation.

My dealers couldn't even adjust the cables properly, and I would not dream of letting them near my bike. 
They would not have been able to locate their backsides with both hands, a sat-nav and a government-funded bottom finding scheme.
Their entire focus seems to be on ¨The Sale.¨

I see dealers as being the easy ¨go to¨ resource  of the uninterested biker.  
Independents need to be good, and their continued existence is your guarantee.
There will obviously be exceptions regarding dealerships, but they are cushioned against the responsibility for their mistakes by a plethora of small print not available to the independent.
I think dealers are there to sell, not to optimise maintenance. Feed them at your peril.

Edited by Ben. - 11 Feb 2020 at 20:12
nab301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nab301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 20:52
My 250 Vstrom owners manual  lists the spark plugs as a replacement item at 6k miles  , I guess it has to work a bit harder.... It's a common theme/ complaint on lots of forums with different makes . I'm guessing plug replacement is an emissions thing rather than a reliability issue ?
Nigel
Keep smiling , it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
'19 CB125F,

'18 DL250 SUZUKI V STROM,'99 Bmw R1100S, '03Bullet 65 500, '93 MZ301 Saxon fun (offroad)
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 21:33
Guzzi say the long life inner plugs on the Norge etc should be changed at 12k miles, but the same plugs fitted to a Maserati 4.2 engine are changed at 24k miles.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 21:49
I think a plug is as good as it´s central electrode.
Everything else can be sorted.
The map is not the territory.
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 09:43
Thanks Jamie,
I have passed them often but never used them. I will see what they can offer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 315316317318319 436>
  Share Topic