guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Social section > The Bar.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with yer bike today.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 436>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 09:09
Only 2 Guzzis at the Chester DGR, both modern V7's, out of 140 registered bikes (I think there might have been a few that had not registered). Very good ride out route. As this was my first DGR, I soon realised just how unsuitable a waistcoat, bowtie and tweed jacket is for riding in sub 18 DegC temperatures, especially when ones girth has for some inexplicable reason, expanded beyond the point that one can button up the jacket that used to be a nice tailored fit!
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:10
Originally posted by Jerry atric Jerry atric wrote:

348 bikes registered for the Bristol run. The bacon slicer performed impeccably although the clutch cable had a lot more play on it by the end. The journey there was an achievement in itself. The intersection between M4 and M5 is not for the faint hearted when your top speed is 45mph . Lots of V7s all seemed a to be mark 2s. I must buy a camera.

Have a look here

I bought this one last year refurbished for reasonable money https://cameradecision.com/review/Fujifilm-XQ2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 11:41
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 15:40
You can see why I thought it was almost certainly the relay, and why replacing that was my first point of call (after having checked the fuses and - whilst I had the side panel off - made sure all of the connectors connected to the relay were in fact connected). The fact that the new relay had 5 connectors numbered somewhat differently than the 4 on the old one flummoxed me for a moment (two 87’s?!), but I got over that, and now it'll fire up on the button, you'll see.

... silence. Off, on... nothing. Off, on... nothing.  Mutter. 

Long story short, sometimes it’s the bleeding obvious that eludes you, and sometimes you’re reminded of the value of carrying a spare nut or two. And reminded to check that the big fat wire that takes the electricity to the starter motor is actually still connected to the starter motor. Wonder where that nut went?

Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 22:33
I'd forgotten how awful the original relays are/were.

Yes 87 and 87a.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 22:39
That's on the 5 pin change over relay. You can still get the four pin version.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 07:40
Originally posted by red leader one red leader one wrote:

And here https://www.dpreview.com/products/cameras

Thanks RL1 bit too pro for me. A smart phone would be a start!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 11:14
FinePix XP120
This is what I was originally thinking of.
£79 refurbished from the Fujishop online page 4

jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 20:32
Originally posted by Mike H Mike H wrote:

I'd forgotten how awful the original relays are/were.

Yes 87 and 87a.

I had starting trouble a while ago, suspected the 39 year-old relay, had a look at it.

It was fine, it's built like a tank.  Can't imagine what sort of abuse was visited on the one shown before, it looks like a horse stomped on it.

The starting trouble was the 1 year-old battery, awfully dead.

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 09:18
Originally posted by jpc jpc wrote:

Can't imagine what sort of abuse was visited on the one shown before, it looks like a horse stomped on it.

No abuse on my part, sir. It appears that the resin ? on mine has rotted and finger pressure alone, in removing it from position, resulted in the damage shown. And I don't have engineer's fingers, I assure you.
jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Can't imagine what sort of abuse was visited on the one shown before, it looks like a horse stomped on it.

No abuse on my part, sir. It appears that the resin ? on mine has rotted and finger pressure alone, in removing it from position, resulted in the damage shown. And I don't have engineer's fingers, I assure you.

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply YOU were ham-fisted, these old parts often went through multiple owners.

Call it a sentimental streak, I feel I have to defend Guzzi's technology of the period, the "crap" reputation foisted on it is not deserved. Take that relay, it's a pretty sturdy design compared to what you'll find in today's sealed plastic thingies  Unhappy  Will they last half as long ?
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 12:09

...Take that relay, it's a pretty sturdy design compared to what you'll find in today's sealed plastic thingies...

You're not wrong. I'm eyeing up the epoxy resin and a couple of strips cut from a 'tupperware' box.

motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 09:08
Absolutely mega day in the peak district yesterday, Nottingham to Gutsibits and back on some lovely twisty & hilly roads. Scenery was amazing in the sunshine, perfect biking weather!
PS. Excellent service from Gutisbits as usual, new silencer bought to fix my rattly innards Thumbs Up
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 09:22
What a day for a run. I was cursing the whole day that I hadn't seen it coming and booked the day off!
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 17:08
Today and yesterday I was out and about, mainly on the Suzuki. Yesterday really mild in Shropshire but crikey, the sun was low. Made it difficult at times to spot the suicidal pheasants that seem to be meandering about in the middle of the road in hoardes around here. Is just Shropshire or are they cluttering up the place waiting to be shot or run over everywhere?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 436>
  Share Topic