guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Social section > The Bar.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with yer bike today.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 436>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 22:18
Ah yes, all too familiar!!
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
drøn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drøn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 19:34
Sent the bike off to storage yesterday.
The old man had offered to ride it home to his barn so I let hime take it over the bridge through a biblical rain storm. Very relieved they both made it.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 19:51
Got 650 TT MOT ready for next week
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 08:51
Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

My guess is a Pass with an advisory on the tie wraps Wink
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 09:40
Pete I really have cut down the amount of cable ties on the bike , but I know they will be back on after my very first ride off road riding lolThumbs Up
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 23:40
Originally posted by motopete motopete wrote:

Originally posted by johnno johnno wrote:

My guess is a Pass with an advisory on the tie wraps Wink

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 21:55
Drifted down to Orgiva at teatime, 'cos the shops open at five.
Low sun behind me,  nice clean tarmac after recent rain for which we are truly thankful, 
and my new Bridgestone on the front, the Jeeves to my Wooster, assuring me that all is for the best, in this the best of all possible worlds.

Imagine an umbrella open half way, and a downwardly sloping road around it anti clockwise, going out round the spines, and in round the folds, and that's the road to Orgiva.
On the inside of a right hander, deep in the fold, there's usually a continuous crack in the surface where the road is subsiding down the mountain. 
Slowly, like everything else.

Reaching Orgiva, the bridge into town has been demolished, and a large plan is being realised the extent of which I can only guess. A diversion over a temporary and rather dubious bridge over the rio Chico, gets me to the auto parts dealer where I find an oil filter for my Citroen Berlingo. I'm expecting a tin can, but receive a paper cartridge, and realise I have a different engine in this car than the last Berlingo I had in the UK.
Spain is full of surprises.

Walking back to the bike I pass a guy settled down in a doorway by the pavement.
We make eye contact, because here it's rude to ignore anyone whose personal space you need to pass through.  He has the bare rudiments necessary for travel, I ask if he's OK and he gives me a thumbs up and a smile.

He points to the bike, and we fall into conversation, at first in Spanish,  he had a 1200 and loved it. We agree that here anything larger than the V7 is not going to stretch its legs much. Then we discovered a shared knowledge of English.
I got the impression he was from South America, Chile perhaps, but what struck me, as someone who has been in a similar position, was that the brief conversation we had was just as valuable to him as the couple of euros I gave him. I remembered that's how it was with me,  when you travel, it's where you touch down that you remember.

The tarmac road was only established in the Seventies,  recent history to a crusty like me.  Before that it was a dusty track, probably similar to the one my Granddad cycled on  from Bradford to Morecambe in 1913.
Turn off on any of the side roads here and you go back in time.

Can't take my usual route home through the pueblo, they've got the road up,  and another detour is necessary. 
Eventually I hit the mountain road,  and return to my own tiny patch of this sub tropical paradise.
Walnuts anyone ...?

TheWrongTrousers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheWrongTrousers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 22:00
I do enjoy your Spanish tales Ben. Keep 'em coming. 
Doc. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 23:47
It’s posts like that, more than anything else, that make going to work each night so much more difficult.

Please don’t stop though!
Wink
Doc out!

Stelvio/V85 Owners Group on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/888995181188209/?fref=nf
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 05:29
It was like reading a bed time story , I have no idea why I thought that ? 
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 07:36
Nice one, Ben. I think maybe you missed your vocation?
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 08:12
Mil gracias amigos, muy amable.
I do my best to slip in something about motorcycles where I can ...
iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 10:14
Great story Ben. Good to hear you treated him as another human being - everyone as you say has a story, and some are quite tragic.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 10:41
Thanks Ian,  a few years with the Samaritans opened my eyes ...
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 10:55
Smashing story Ben.I hope you keep your notes and observations.Many of us will have read "A year in Provence" hint hint
How about a year or more in Lanjaron? With perchance some Guzzi content.

Edited by Dave P. - 25 Oct 2019 at 11:42
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303304305 436>
  Share Topic