guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Social section > The Bar.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with yer bike today.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 270271272273274 436>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 22:02
On Saturday took the Cali/Sidecar for its first good spin since the new alternator and regulator rectifier were fitted. Beautiful day, ocean was turquoise and mountains glorious on the coastal road near by. 90 miles, charging beautifully, on sweeping cliff-top B roads.
While I was doing this, a friend and fellow sidecarist, was climbing a ridge on the mountains a mile in front of my home. He fell and did not survive. His loves and passions were his family, mountains and motorcycles. He passed doing something that he loved to do.
Carpe Diem.

jog53
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:54
Sorry to hear this.
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 20:35
Originally posted by jog53 jog53 wrote:

On Saturday took the Cali/Sidecar for its first good spin since the new alternator and regulator rectifier were fitted. Beautiful day, ocean was turquoise and mountains glorious on the coastal road near by. 90 miles, charging beautifully, on sweeping cliff-top B roads.
While I was doing this, a friend and fellow sidecarist, was climbing a ridge on the mountains a mile in front of my home. He fell and did not survive. His loves and passions were his family, mountains and motorcycles. He passed doing something that he loved to do.
Carpe Diem.

Hi John, I know how you feel.

Back in 1981 a good friend/work colleague had come out for a ride with me and because he was an inexperienced motorcyclist we were just riding steadily and getting some miles under his belt.

I was leading and on entering a bend I saw that there was a huge line of diesel on the road surface. I waved my arm and pointed down to it hoping Chris would avoid it.

He didn't and lost control going into steel roadside furniture with his head and chest. He died at the scene.

Being on Traffic, I had been to many fatalities but this was dreadfully different.

Life goes on and I continue to enjoy motorcycling.

California 111,California 1100i,Suzuki FZ50, Yamaha YB100, NSU Quickly,

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 20:37
Took the ST1300 for it's MOT and it sailed through.

Going to change the oil and filter at the weekend in readiness for the June trip to the Alps.

Put new brake pads in front and back a few days earlier thinking that good brakes may be a useful addition on some of the passes to be encountered.

Edited by Tarquin - 15 May 2019 at 10:51

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Tarquin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:07
Took the Cali for MOT and it passed.

iansoady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iansoady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 15:46
Actually used the V50 as transport as opposed to riding round for fun! I do various research-related voluntary stuff at my local hospital and have been to 3 events this week. It took 25 minutes to park (the car) on Wednesday, half an hour yesterday. No time at all for the Guzzi this morning but the usual (half remembered) hassle of arriving with helmet, boots, jacket etc and finding somewhere to stash them. I even managed a bit of filtering through the traffic!

An elderly gentleman was very taken with the V50 as I fired it up to leave.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Greeves/Triumph in progress
Omobono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Omobono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 16:09
Sorry to hear this. 
May he rest in peace. 
c13pep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c13pep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:54
Originally posted by Omobono Omobono wrote:

Sorry to hear this. 
May he rest in peace. 

CHRIS
you can`t have any fun in a straight line

Monza
Honda CB77 project

motopete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motopete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 13:43
Needed an MOT in a hurry, Twiggers couldn't fit me in 'till Friday, so I tried a local roll-up MOT while-u-wait at Nottingham Autocraft. They did a good thorough job, used a jack as I don't have a centre stand (not all places do), and I was on my way with a Pass certificate within the hour Thumbs Up

Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 14:31
Originally posted by c13pep c13pep wrote:

Originally posted by Omobono Omobono wrote:

Sorry to hear this. 
May he rest in peace. 

CHRIS

I think this was in reference to Jog53 and Tarquin's stories above.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 16:56
Put a foot well carpet on the floor in the back yard with a baking tray on it. Stuck the Breva on the centre stand with the feet on the baking tray. Then spun it round. Best fun I've had on that Breva since I got it LOL
Breva 1100 ABS 2006
E-Plus 20 Inch Folding Electric Bike 2018 :p
Royal Enfield Himalayan ABS 2019
Glawster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glawster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 16:45
Got "my" old SF Laverda back from my Brother in Law.  He's seen the light and wants a LeMans MK2.  Just given it a clean up, sorted the carbs out and put it on sale.  As I have it for a few days I'm entering the Laverda owners club photo 2019 photo competition where you have to photograph your bike in front of various objects.  Here's a couple..

Cathedral - Gloucester

DSC_1104 by Derek0812, on Flickr

Public Art
DSC_1140 by Derek0812, on Flickr
1970 Guzzi V7 Ambassador
1955 Guzzi Falcone Sport
2021 BMW R1250R
1998 Cagiva Gran Canyon
Guzzi1000SE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guzzi1000SE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 17:40
Looks loverly.

I always wantered a Laverda but never managed it, either money or space always got in the way or both.
helmetbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helmetbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 07:22
That's a beautiful SF, I sold mine 20 years ago and still think about it.

2001 California Special. (Modified)
Ben. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 16:07
It was a bit cooler today, light cloud and a bit of breeze from the coast, bringing the scent of Africa wafting up the slopes of the Sierra Nevada. My mission was to get the oil in the final drive hot, and dump it, hopefully along with the last of the winter's rain.
The temperature made leathers feasible, though only just.

The bike sits under a fig tree, getting what shade it can, though the tank was too hot to touch.
Hoping the few pints of hot petrol between my knees would remain calm until I'd filled up with cooler stuff --  I rattled and banged my way down the corrugated concrete road to the village below.
Then out towards the A44 motorway west of Lanjaron, where, sticking to the unexplored B roads, I took the  old road up the canyon to Lecrin. 

It's appropriate that Mediterranean translates as Middle Earth, (I once invited herself to accompany me to Finisterre -- and she did) and the descent into Malaga is like entering Mordor, but away from the coast the scenery is truly awe-inspiring, and the villages sprawl dumbstruck in the heat and dust.

On to Durcal, a busy bustling town of one-way streets and cul-de-sacs, where I stopped in the square, had a coffee and watched the world unfold.

Finding my way out of Durcal with limited success, I made an impromptu tour of Cozvijar, before returning through Durcal and taking the motorway for a short stretch, until the Lanjaron turn off came into view. Peeling off, I climbed back onto the winding ascent that leads to Lanjaron, and then the Alpujarra.

A short climb out of Lanjaron, up the mountain, and my cortijo hove into view, jutting out into the canyon to get the view and the cooling breeze. Fernando chose a good spot to build his Shangri-la.

I drained the oil out of the final drive and was pleased to see the colour was almost back to normal.
And either the change to an open-face is responsible, or my tappets really do need a tweak.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 270271272273274 436>
  Share Topic