guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Social section > The Bar.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did you do with yer bike today.......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 436>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 17:48

[/QUOTE]
Brake lines fitted by PO. 
[/QUOTE]

I kind of suspected as much, POs have a lot to answer for Censored
But the cap connector on the master cyl only activates the dashboard idiot light, nowt to do with the stoplight...

I hope it all jells for you and model loyalty (if not marque...) is restored. They're the last of the "real bikes" Thumbs Up
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 18:13
Thanks for comment re stoplight.  I’ve been preoccupied with the wiring up the front end, and getting what I’ve got working, so I’ll look into the rear switch later.  Today I put the exhaust on and started it.  Tomorrow I’ll be checking the timing and may pluck up the enthusiasm to tackle the brake bleeding.  Then it’ll be time for a test ride.

jpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 19:35
Originally posted by iceni iceni wrote:

may pluck up the enthusiasm to tackle the brake bleeding.  

Any form of vacuum bleeding will save considerable aggravation.
Absent a compressor, I've been wondering if engine vacuum couldn't be used... Nipple to sealed jar, jar to inlet manifold synchronizing port... That would be sooo cool ! Geek
V7Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V7Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 19:50
Went for a very pleasant ride out to A&D motorcycles in Debeigh to see the V85 in the flesh. Had a sit on it and methinks a test ride will follow. 
Leisurely ride back via Horseshoe pass. Llangollen and Ellesmere all in the company of Wilko on his very nice Stelvio. Very satisfying.Approve
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 21:50
Got the Le Mans fired up on the bench - it's taken me 2 1/2 years to get round to sorting the lack of starting.

Took me 10 minutes to diagnose corrosion in the starter solenoid and 20 to swap with the spare I had under the bench.

Why didn't I do this 2 years ago????
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 22:39
I think most of us have stories like that.

Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 09:03
Originally posted by Brian UK Brian UK wrote:

I think a jeweller's screwdriver will do the same thing, just about.

I have no idea, but various other "tools" I employed served only to mangle the connectors. This jobbie has 'em out spit-spot and in perfect condition ready (in my case) to be pushed into another block.

Someone asked how it works - the business end is a sprung tube that fits precisely over the connector when in the block, gently pushing down the tangs that keep the connector in place. That done, there's a sprung component which if you then push harder, eases the connector out of the back of the block. Give it a wee tug and you have it in your paw, unharmed, unbent, ready to push into a connector block again as the good lawd intended for it. Jeweller's screwdrivers be-bollixed. This thing is a joy to use and does the job that it was designed for exactly, precisely and without damage to the components, your fingers, or your stress levels.

I'm going to name mine Aloysius.

Edited by Barry - 12 May 2019 at 09:22
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 09:14
Nothing yet!
Going down to Jacks Hill Cafe for a bacon butty and a look at the bikes the sunshine will have drawn out of hibernation.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 18:20
Good news...I got my Motoleggera running and smoked out the garage. Going to sell it now, don't rally know why I bought it
Bad news...I investigated the pool of gear oil under the Cali and its clearly leaking past the seals on the pull rod that I CHANGED LAST YEAR! ARRRGGGHHH. At least it isn't from somewhere more sinister
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 18:55
Took the old cali to Lopham in the darkest part of web toed norfolk/suffolk where there was a Brimbo (? dunno either) do. Lots of old brit iron - some very nice and putting the new stuff to shame in the looks stakes. There was a V50 and a gaggle of bad boys turned up in formation with their funny v-twins.  
  Then a nice ride out for 40 odd miles taking advantage of the wevver! Sunny and hot, just right for the caning the bike to stop the mayonnaise coming back.

Oh, for some feckin' black magic reason the oil light came on when I turned the ignition on....its gone again now.  Cursed italian bikes
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
David Owen View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Owen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 20:44
Wondered again at the sheer...I guess disinterest is the word, of the  Moto Guzzi importer here in Portugal.  Ever since the V85 was officially announced I’ve been wondering what the price is.  For about six weeks the Portugal MG site was not available (I have the distinct impression someone forgot to renew the domain).  But now it’s back!  Woo-hoo!  So, what’s a V85 worth...  I dunno.  It’s not even listed on the website. Sigh.
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 21:42
Well, the 1000SP is back on its wheels, brakes bled and a few loose ends tidied up.  Tomorrow I’ll balance the carbs and check the plugs, then it’s a bit more fuel in the tank followed by a short test ride.  
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 23:22
Originally posted by iceni iceni wrote:

Originally posted by jpc jpc wrote:

Can't help but wonder, why stick to nonsensical mods ?

The bundy tube eliminates line-twisting problems, and the splitter has provision for a light switch Confused
Brake lines fitted by PO. Hydraulic co couldn’t make bundy tube fittings for a few days so I’ve taken the quick option but with a swivel connector which has sorted the issue.  Splitter has brake switch and is also wired,

OK understood, I was going to suggest possibly take the front caliper off, then you can rotate it to help screw in the union? Anyway sorted now. Big smile

Quote however, the rear master cylinder has plain cap - no electrical connection, consequently PO has fitted a crappy micro switch.  IF I like the bike after riding it for a while, I’ll deal with these and other issues. 

Yes this is/was a popular mod, the float switch version has an opening to atmosphere in the cap, albeit with a rubber bleed nipple cap on top, nevertheless grooves down the side of the plastic "nipple" it goes on ensures air can pass. I can only imagine so the float can displace air if it has to. (?) But this can also alllow moisture to get in and contaminate the fluid, hence as I say the advice always was, by those "in the know", "replace that with a plain cap". And yes I did. Without the float, there's also more room for actual fluid as well. But also means you have an unused red warning light on the dash. I have subsequently used this as a brake light repeater, i.e. it shows that the brake light is working, then later, as a sidestand down warning light, by adding a switch to the sidestand.

HTH

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 07:21
And yes I did. Without the float, there's also more room for actual fluid as well. But also means you have an unused red warning light on the dash. I have subsequently used this as a brake light repeater, i.e. it shows that the brake light is working, then later, as a sidestand down warning light, by adding a switch to the sidestand.
[/QUOTE]

The "spare" lead at the rear master cylinder initially ran alarm bells until I discovered its purpose, but I connected the fluid level warning light as per the wiring diagram in order to reduce the possibility of leaving something out of the circuit that may influence other functions. I bought the LED's for the idiot lights from Gutsibits, and while fitting them I found that the "bulb" came out of the housing rather too easily for my liking, so once content that all was well, and to avoid the possibility of the swines becoming dislodged, I put a blob of silicone on the wires in the housing. Never thought of using the light for something else, but I'll keep that possibility in mind. Thanks for the tip, Mike H   
cugsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cugsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 16:39
Just a quick phone shot of the bike with the brecks in the background. Shame its not Great Gable...
Due to italian electrickery I am saying nowt. Despite nearly giving the Vstrom away the honda has gone...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 436>
  Share Topic