guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spoke weights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spoke weights
    Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 08:25
Just had some nice new tyres fitted to my Borrani'd T3.

Blokey in the shop was clean out of spoke wheel weights that would fit. Anyone know of / can recommend a UK supplier of suitable items that will actually fit tidily onto the Borranis? 
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:43
You can literally wrap solder wire to the required weight on a spoke but what my guy does is clean the centre and stick the weights on the inside of the wheel edge on the old Borrani that way you do not see the weight at all he uses small car type ones 
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Mandello Lario View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandello Lario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 12:57
There are several weights offered here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspoke+weights.TRS0&_nkw=spoke+weights&_sacat=0

Alternatively, lead wire wound round the wheel rim-end of a spoke is secure, neat, unobtrusive and effective. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=spoke%20weights&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULK-SPOOL-OF-LEAD-WIRE-FINE-/370353254362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item563ac62fda

Fishing tackle shops also offer different sizes of lead weights that clamp to line, that could be clamped to spokes e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Dinsmores+Grippa+&_sacat=0

Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 14:21
Thanks, I've seen those options on ebay, but there's obviously no indication that they are going to neatly fit to Borrani spokes - plus a lot of those linked are US-based - hence the ask  (o;

I could go the lead wire route, if I have to... and if I can find some lead wire  (o;
Mandello Lario View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandello Lario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 14:36
On the ebay page, if you select 'UK only' in left hand margin it filters the responses to show only the UK results. 

Being lead, they will be soft enough to squash/crimp to spoke with pliers, even if they're then loose enough to move up and down the spoke it won't matter as they will always be at the rim as soon as the wheel is turning due to centrifugal force

Lead wire available from fishing tackle shops, or ebay. Or as suggested by Ken Guzzibear, use thick solder wire

Good luck
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 14:49
Thanks! I have a local tackle shop - I'll call in there, but I thought they'd all been banned from using and selling lead these days. Soon find out!
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 14:56
lead wire can be bought from a plumbers merchant!

better still get a offcut from a builder and cut into strips!

Edited by Ianboydsnr - 31 Jul 2015 at 14:57
BobV7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobV7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 16:04
Don't think many builders use lead any more; it's all plastic and ali.
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 16:28
If you're desperate, I've got a bit of lead sheet you could cut into strips. PM your address if you want it, and I'll post it in a jiffy bag.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 21:21
Thanks, all. I'm sure I can source a wee bit of lead (cough), but just wanted to try for the spoke weights if I could get 'em. Ordered a handful of possibles, but no idea if they'll fit nicely until the postman lobs them through my door.
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 22:40
https://youngautomotivedirect.co.uk/trax-wheel-balance-weights-motorcycle-spoke-weights-c-27_35.html

For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
tonewuk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonewuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 00:31
Spoke weights are used for balancing the rim,Not the tyre
Once the rim is balanced they should not be taken off
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 08:46
Originally posted by exsmokingbiker exsmokingbiker wrote:

https://youngautomotivedirect.co.uk/trax-wheel-balance-weights-motorcycle-spoke-weights-c-27_35.html

Thanks, Ray. Have you used these and know them to fit the Borranis?

Originally posted by tonewuk tonewuk wrote:

Spoke weights are used for balancing the rim,Not the tyre
Once the rim is balanced they should not be taken off

Well, that's good to know, but I didn't take any off, and now I have a spoked wheel, with a tyre on, that needs a wee bit of balance weight.
exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 08:50
have used them in the past  only way to find out is measure the diameter of the spoke and nipple and ask them the question
For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 09:04
Originally posted by exsmokingbiker exsmokingbiker wrote:

... ask them the question ...

Haha! That's what I'm doing here Ray. Clearly I have too much faith in you guys - I somehow expected someone to say: "them ones, from this bloke. Used them before, exactly what you need". Not sure what the diam of the nipples are - have to get a measuring stick on them - but the spokes  themselves are, I think, 3.5mm.

I already did all the Google and ebay stuff (who wouldn't?) and was looking for some "first-hand experience" so I didn't order in to the house more crap which I didn't need   (o;  

Still, on the bright side:  no posts about ironing boards.   :p

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic