guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Small Blocks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V50 issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V50 issues
    Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 15:00
Hi I am new to moto guzzi having recently acquired a v50 2 which is complete and in nice cosmetic condition. The bike has not been used for many years and starts okay from cold but refuses to start when hot. Sometimes it gives a 'chuff' when I turn the ignition off as if it's sparking when the battery becomes low in power after refusing to fire. Also the clutch refuses to disengage and lurches forward when put in gear. I have adjusted the clutch and ran round the block when it's hot and tried to disengage the plates by varying engine speed in different gears but with no success. I guess this means a clutch out job - any complications with this job to be expected ? It's a shame because if I couldhave resolved the hot starting and clutch issues the bike could have been put on the road this summer. Thanks in anticipation for any advice. Trev.
Ianboydsnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianboydsnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by Teesrider Teesrider wrote:

Hi I am new to moto guzzi having recently acquired a v50 2 which is complete and in nice cosmetic condition. The bike has not been used for many years and starts okay from cold but refuses to start when hot. Sometimes it gives a 'chuff' when I turn the ignition off as if it's sparking when the battery becomes low in power after refusing to fire. Also the clutch refuses to disengage and lurches forward when put in gear. I have adjusted the clutch and ran round the block when it's hot and tried to disengage the plates by varying engine speed in different gears but with no success. I guess this means a clutch out job - any complications with this job to be expected ? It's a shame because if I couldhave resolved the hot starting and clutch issues the bike could have been put on the road this summer. Thanks in anticipation for any advice. Trev.

have you tried running it around in gear, then braking hard with the clutch pulled in, it can take a while, but it usually resolves the clutch stuck problem,

hot starting, could be choke stuck slightly on, or fuel getting to hot in the line and vapour locking, or plug fouling,

the chuff when turning the ignition on, is normal, its firing vapour thats making its way to the exhaust!
Teesrider View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 18:06
Thanks for that Ian running the bike and braking could be the answer but is problematical as the bike is not yet taxed and tested and riding it on the road is a little dangerous because it drives with the clutch pulled in and if you met an emergency situation??? My neighbour suggests running it withe wheel against a wall what do you think. Not sure what vapour lock is caused by and how it is remedied. Thanks Trev.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 19:29
First thing to look at regarding the hot starting is the "chokes", actually they are enricheners, another jet is opened when it's on, and the normal fault is that the plunger is not returning properly because of friction or incorrect cable adjustment, or the little neoprene seal at the bottom of the plunger is knackered.

Clutch is a difficult one. Possibly gummed up with old oil on the plates.
The remedy for that used to be brake cleaner poured into the hole on the side of the clutch housing, having put something in the drain hole at the bottom to keep it there. Then run the engine for a bit, operating the clutch lever many times.

It can also be worn splines, but that is a major strip to get at them.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
theoneandonly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theoneandonly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 10:43
got a centre stand fitted ? this is how to do .
 bike on centre stand , run engine in a gear , hold revs at 3k ,  dab on rear brake whilst holding clutch lever in , how hard do you dab ? ....you choose . 

have had to do this a few times , seems brutal but isn't really. 

if it doesn't free off after 10 attempts ....pull it apart . 
https://www.facebook.com/BaldricksWorkshop
http://baldricksworkshop.co.uk/

motorcycle slut, if it has wheels and an engine , i will ride it .
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 12:40
There was published many years ago in Gambalunga a "quick fix" for oiled/dusted up clutch splines, I have used this twice and yes it did work. BUT it is a get you home and if it works will give the clutch a wee bit longer before you have to pull it out.

Block up drain hole (I used screwdriver tip and some rag) take out timing cover bung and pour in some white spirit ONLY use white spirit as IT leaves NO residue. Put back the bung ...start enging work clutch a few times , stop engine remove the plug from beneath look see if there is lots of gunge, you can repeat this.

Good idea to have a tray under the bottom hole too. MAKE real sure the timing bung is back in and it is advisable to wear eye protection ....

The guy who posted this "fix" had been touring the USA and met a travelling Preacher who had a big miles California who had used this method many times .... I have used it more than once ...Note there were some clutch plates yrs ago that were bonded not riveted, this may give those a problem. 

If you are kinda at the point of this or rip it apart it may just be worth a shot
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Teesrider View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 22:26
Thanks for your replies will give them a go
Teesrider View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 09:17
Hi I had a qick look underneath the bike this morning around the clutch area and could not see where the drain hole is please could someone describe where it is and whether it involves removing a bolt screw etc Thanks Trev
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 18:18
Ken's talking about the big blocks, suspect small blocks like V50 do not have this drain hole? Believe someone has written exactly this before...

On a big block it's an indent in the gearbox bellhousing bottom edge so that when bolted to the engine it makes a shallow rectangular hole at the joint. Quite small.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Teesrider View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teesrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 19:10
Hi I've just had another look - a proper one this time - and spotted a small rectangular shaped hole in the bottom of the clutch housing. Thanks. Trev
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 19:29
There ya go then! Thumbs Up

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic