guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Spada SPIII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adestrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Spada SPIII
    Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 17:03
So, the bike has been sitting for 15 years and is therefore in for a bit of fettling - new jets in the carbs, new exhausts but other than that, a really good service to get her back on the road again.

Will try to upload a photo when I can.  New to all this forum malarkey!

johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 17:39
this is what we like to hear , another guzzi up and running againThumbs Up
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
BondEquipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BondEquipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2015 at 09:38
That's a very early one - I thought they started in '88?
Stephen
Black & Gold LM2
+ Other Bikes & Projects!
Adestrumpet View Drop Down
Guzzino
Guzzino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adestrumpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 17:49
It may well be that I have the year wrong (it is an 'E' prefix) or the type.

Either way, am looking at a bit of a hefty bill to get her back up and running so she may well have to go from the resto forum to the for sale forum.

Might have been a bit of a short-lived ownership, which is a shame as she's a one-owner Cry
David Nimrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Nimrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 19:07
Originally posted by Adestrumpet Adestrumpet wrote:

...am looking at a bit of a hefty bill to get her back up and running...

What is it they say..?

Ah, yes: 'there's no such thing as a cheap Guzzi' Wink

BMW R1150GS (2003)
Harley FXST (1989)
Harley FLHS (1988)

exsmokingbiker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exsmokingbiker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 21:56
what is up with her to stop the recommisioning ?

Originally posted by Adestrumpet Adestrumpet wrote:

It may well be that I have the year wrong (it is an 'E' prefix) or the type.

Either way, am looking at a bit of a hefty bill to get her back up and running so she may well have to go from the resto forum to the for sale forum.

Might have been a bit of a short-lived ownership, which is a shame as she's a one-owner Cry
For all your engineering- ultrasonic and aquablasting needs see WWW.bike-aquablasting.co.uk
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 22:46
As the happy custodian of (briefly) Abe's Spada, I thought I'd continue the saga.

I picked up the Spada in Stansted a week ago and rode it 400 miles to Glasgow. For a recently disinterred guzzi it was all good (no speedo, low fuel light permanently on, less smooth running than my v11, occaisional 8 stroke, and seat cover split in many places).

Investigations identified rh carb not sealed to airbox tube, throttle cable slack different side to side, and speedo cable connection so corroded the attachment nut was snapped in half.

All easy to deal with, just need to get the tank off and get stuck in ...
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 22:53
So first snag is getting the tank off.

See tech forum for that saga. Long story short, the bike was put back on the road with a cable tie keeping the new brakeline in position. This cable tie stopped the tank moving forward enough to release the rear fixing.

Oh the joys ...
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 23:00
So once I got under the tank I could do the speedo cable. Routing was fine but I just couldnt get the new cable to thread onto the gearbow end.

Taking the big brave pills I took the connector out of the gearbox casing. No stripped threads or flying springs - yay!

The connector itself had a thread full of corroded cable end. Cue an hour of careful scraping with the smallest screw driver and regular wiping. I wish I had some thread dies ...
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 23:03
Nonetheless it's all back together and I now have a working speedo - result!

And a pal dropped by and casually mentioned his dad recovered seats. So that's done too, very nicely, and for a modest sum
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 23:05
While under the tank I disvovered that the lh card intake was detached from the airbox so thats back in place too.

I can see that spending time on careful routing of wires and cables is must with these Guzzis.
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 23:07
... and on a final note, this was all done rather late in the day 'cos I skived off to the seaside in the afternoon on the Spada.

It's WONDERFUL to ride!
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 00:10
good job
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 00:10
It has a low seat height doesn't it?
cola View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 11:14
Hell no!

I'm taller than average (for a Scotsman ☺ 5'9") and I can only just touch down with my toes.

So when the clutch bites and the whole rear rises 😮 eek!

And now some gratuitous pics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic