guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Loop Frames
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Every loop's got a silver lining..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 09:14
I understand that £420 is not chicken feed even in these affluent times but having owned and ridden Laverdas for most of my adult life, a bill for such an amount is like a breath of fresh air. The delivery driver struggled to carry the box into my office, he could have carried 420 quid's worth of Laverda bits in his pocket.
jmee54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmee54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:00
I think £420 is good value for two cylinders, two pistons, two gudgeon pins and two sets of rings. Of course if the chrome didn't peel in the first place, it would be preferable!

Remember you need oval pushrod hole gaskets.
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2016 at 11:07
Having also received my new cylinders and pistons for the 850GT I'm keen to get on with the job.Once we've cleared the house of grandchildren,toys,bits of half eaten food and other detritus associated with the little monsters I might have chance to get on.I'll have to go now,Tom and Jerry has just started.
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
saultrader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:13
Ok, I've been putting this off but as me old mate Dave P points out, confession is good for the soul. This thread started almost two years ago when, after draining the oil on my 850GT, I discovered a sliver of chrome in the tray. It's taken a while but a couple of weeks ago I set about replacing the offending jugs, pistons and rings with the shiny Gilardoni's I bought last year from Stein Dinse. Having removed both barrels I naturally inspected them closely to determine the extent of the damage and to get an idea how much chrome I needed to excavate from the internals. Both barrels were totally unscathed and would give their successors a run for their money in the smooth unmarked shineyness stakes. At a loss for the cause of this phenomenon I did what most trained engineers do at moments like this and started to polish the not so shiney crash bars as a kind of therapy for my confused mind. During this operation, a sliver of chrome detached itself from the left hand bars and landed on the bike-bench exactly where my oil tray was sitting nearly two years ago. What was that word Dave, Twerp? You couldn't make it up.     
Dave P. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:21
Philip,you are redeemed.Hallelujah brother !!!

I bet you feel so much better now.

Edited by Dave P. - 19 May 2017 at 14:40
TO LIVE OUTSIDE THE LAW YOU MUST BE HONEST.

1971 V7 Special. 1972 850GT.
1970 T120 Bonnie. 2009 500 Bullet.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:16
Lost for words , now get it up and running
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 08:11
When I found chrome in my oil, they were fine particles, but still shiny, and lots of them.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:36
The upshot of this tale of folly is that I now have available a perfectly usable set of low mileage original 850GT cylinders with matching pistons and rings. I'm not planning to use them myself but they might get someone out of trouble.
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 13:05
You now need to find some poor owner who has had the chrome peel off.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
johnno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 15:16
Store them well ,worth a fortune in years to come lol
1100 sport corsa , Yam R1, guzzi 650tt rider
Jerry atric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 22:37
So there really IS a silver lining
Lemsteraak View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemsteraak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 11:54
Just got up to speed with your tale Phil, so we both have Gillardoni kits sitting on the shelf now! Bent conrod award for Guzzis Big smile Happy ending though.

Moto Guzzi 1970 V7 Special
Laverda 1973 GT750
Laverda 1970 SF750
Laverda 1986 RGA1000 Sprint

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 12:47
It's still unfinished business as I have yet to start her up, I'm fitting new silencers and fettling the carbs while she's still on the bench. I even had a plan to polish the wheel rims but it soon passed. Just to clarify Shaun, the Gilardonis are on the bike, the MG originals are on the shelf.
The silencers are from an outfit called "Feked", (which well describes the originals). They appear to be really well made and look closer to the originals than other copies I've seen. I've dispensed with the cross-over pipe.
I'm going to have to sell the G5, it's so bloody good that the poor old loops keep getting passed over.    
Lemsteraak View Drop Down
Falcone
Falcone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemsteraak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 12:55
Seen the Feked site awhile back,looking for Lav pipes.Did you do
the barrels or DP? Will have to wait until Dave gets back from Italy, but just booked a car road trip through Andalucia with Helen for early July.

Edited by Lemsteraak - 27 May 2017 at 13:06
Moto Guzzi 1970 V7 Special
Laverda 1973 GT750
Laverda 1970 SF750
Laverda 1986 RGA1000 Sprint

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saultrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 16:42
I did the barrels myself mainly due to logistics but also because I know Dave's quite stacked up at present, I've got plenty of stuff for him when he's less busy! Andalucia? Head for Breganze and I'll meet you there...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic