guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Big Block Tonti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 mystery starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 mystery starting
    Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 15:39
PPS: I believe that the correct method is indeed choke only, leave throttle alone, cold starting only, choke not needed if warm.

If cold starting choke only not working, summinks wrong wiv it, IME modern fuel deposits bunging something up somewhere. OR damaged O-rings or worn choke piston seals, air leaks, OR just simply badly adjusted / set-up, etcetera...

Did I tell you the story that despite my CD175 refusing to go faster than 60 mph and the combustion chambers always being choked with thick soot (I decoked them once and got 70 mph, but soon to drop to 60 once they coked up again), all because I believed that the carburettor should have been correctly set up at the factory and therefore the adjustments must never be disturbed. Doh ..

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 15:26
The 'chokes' starter jets include atomizer tubes, there's an air passage from an external hole up near the 'choke' plunger area (in addition to two lower holes, one on each side, which are the float chamber air vents), so that this air should be mixed with the fuel that is drawn up the starter jet from an enclosed corner of the float chamber. Two probs with this, 1. this corner and the jet can get clogged with deposits; 2. the tiny atomizer holes in the jets can get blocked, if that happens then using the choke only results in neat petrol getting sucked up so then it's too rich and won't start.

HTH

PS (edit): it goes without saying the external vent holes mustn't be bunged up either. Big smile

Edited by Mike H - 20 Jun 2014 at 15:27
"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
Brian UK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 23:21
If you have pumper carbs, then twisting the throttle can put a huge amount of fuel in.
Brian.

Better 5 minutes late in this world than years early in the next.
Ken-Guzzibear View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken-Guzzibear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 21:49
I found it does depend on the settings and the type of carbs with thePHF's 2 twists then press the starter flip the choke on then off when it fires job done with the square carbs NO throttle fire it flip on the chokes Summer) and it fres in Winter a whiff of throttle and a bit on the cold start it is not a choke as such more a cold start device. The round engine needed cold start every time unless the engine IS hot  the square one hardly ever needed the cold start other than flick on off.
The Older i Get, The Better I Was
Jim Mac View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 14:26
My T5 has always been a pig to start - so was my Convert.  basically you couldn't put the choke on and twist the throttle to start, no way.  you had to twist the grip two, three or four times and hold it and press the button maybe once or twice to start, bit of a pain but it started.

whilst blankly staring at it the other day thought "why don't I just flip the choke and push the button, no wiggling throttle" - I did and it started first time.

tried it on a number of occasion and it starts first time, but if you even look at the throttle it cuts out.

Now isn't that just a Guzzi for you !

Edited by Jim Mac - 19 Jun 2014 at 14:26
V85 TT Trzvel    BMW R45
Too old to die young
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic