guzziriders.org - moto guzzi forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Modifications and Restorations > Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to resuscitate the 1976 T3 California

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 22:20
Clean the area, mask the surrounding bits and just a quick dust with a satin black spray, but just over the damaged area Adam.
Keeping the integrity of the bike is one thing but preventing rust is a necessary evil 'fraid.

Love your machines
1976 "Zagato" Gootsi cafe racer
BMW GSA
italianmotor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 09:55
I'll get some rust killer on it then try the spray Smooth Hammerite. I put the bike away the last time I rode it without really cleaning it so that didn't help, but I'm not much of a cleaner/polisher.
Guzzi lover doing my own thing: http://www.italianmotormagazine.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 09:58
I haven't done that many miles on this one Ado - I rescued it from being broken up about 10 years ago and put it back on the road and used it regularly. Then my daughter was born and needs must and it got put away. I wouldn't call it rough though - you'll see when it's up and done again, it'll look okay. I don't have the time, money or inclination to carry out a full restoration. Maybe in 20 years?

Originally posted by Ado Ado wrote:

You owe that bike Adam,I mean seriously, it must of looked after you over the years,careful the guzzi police dont do you for assault.

Thanks for sharing though.How a rough old T3 can still look appealing I dont know,still in the right hands I am sure.

Edited by italianmotor - 28 Jul 2015 at 10:11
theone&onlymin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theone&onlymin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:23
Just spray it with WD40. It will be just fine so it will

Cheers
Min
Mike H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 23:15
Hammerite (and the smooth / satin versions) is not what it was. 2 / 3 coats and it still looks semi-transparent.

"Chicken nuggets don't dance on a Tuesday."
iceni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iceni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 06:39
[QUOTE=Mike H]Hammerite (and the smooth / satin versions) is not what it was. 2 / 3 coats and it still looks semi-transparent.

Agreed - wasn't impressed last time I used it, and a lot of the traditional good quality paints have been discontinued due to regulations from our masters in Brussels  (its for our own good, of course)Thumbs Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 08:52
That's a shame, I'd heard it was almost like 'magic' stuff. Any other suggestions for which paint to use?
Mopar Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 09:47
They have clearly changed the Hammerite formula.

I bought the smooth Spray version to paint a car engine and the coverage was appalling; I think I could wee more robustly than that.......extremely disappointed and it took over a day to dry. Never again.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:09
Clearly, what you need is a tin of manky, old, dust-covered, smashed-on lid, almost beyond a shake to mix, back of the cupboard hammerite!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:34
I have tin of black paint for metal (vernice metallo nero opaco) that I bought while living in Italy in about 2001, and it's still liquid - so maybe it'll be just the job.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 13:39
Originally posted by italianmotor italianmotor wrote:

I have tin of black paint for metal (vernice metallo nero opaco) that I bought while living in Italy in about 2001, and it's still liquid - so maybe it'll be just the job.

Perfetto! What could go wrong? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 09:08
Well, just a mere seven months after I last posted about htis bike, yesterday I finally managed to change the oil and filter and clean out the sump. It's a job I like doing because you can have a good look around inside, and so I can never really understand the point of external oil filters unless you're doing consistently high miles. After the discussions recently about chrome stripping off barrels, I had a good look but couldn't see anything to suggest this his happening. I also took a few smaller parts off to a local powder coater that I haven't used before. Progress!

red leader one View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red leader one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 09:24
So the filter is in the sump and you have to take the sump off to change the filter?

How many bolts is that.

I never knew that I've never looked at mine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote italianmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 10:12
Yes RL1, sump comes off, you can count the number of bolts by the holes in the gasket, think there are 18 in total though one of the long ones was missing for some reason. I haven't looked up into a new one but assume it's more or less the same.
Barry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 10:48
Good news! Are we in danger of seeing another California T3 gracing the leafy lanes of Oxon and Bucks this Summer?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic